Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh dear, not again.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Apr 2007 16:17

See below in a minute.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Apr 2007 16:21

I have just been pm'd by a contact. She tells me she has permission to see my tree. I do not have permission to see hers, according to my contacts list. As we are 'social' contacts on here, and have never for one moment thought we have an ancestor in common, then neither of us would open our tree to the other, nor expect it. So - what is going on? She does not want to see my tree and I know she will not look at it - but how do I turn off her permission, considering that she doesn't HAVE permission as far as I am concerned. And - how many other of my contacts have secret permission to see my tree? Sorry to start this all up again, but really.... OC

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Apr 2007 16:23

Probably the glitch again that genes has, if you go to her name in your contacts you can click on the X box that deletes her access or you can delete her from your contacts and this deletes ALL contact including any tree access. Shirley

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Apr 2007 16:27

I know what you mean. I have found that a few people on here that I have been in contact with only because of answering queries on the Tips and Record office boards (and not because of any connection between our families) have suddenly given me access to their trees (or at least GR have, because I can't imagine why the people themselves would have done). I haven't looked at these trees because they are of no interest to me, but it seems to be yet another glitch in GR's tinkering with the site. Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Apr 2007 17:23

OC, Does your contact list say she can see your tree?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Apr 2007 17:46

Peter No - that is the point! None of my contacts can see my tree, according to the tick/cross box next to their names. So how can I tell who has 'secret' permission to see my tree, when according to my contacts list, no-one does! OC

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Apr 2007 18:03

It´s hardly surprising that people are removing their trees from GR at the moment. GR knows there is a bug in the system - it needs to be repaired post haste.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2007 18:36

I'm also getting the 'I have shared my tree' from many people that I have helped with queries on these boards and on Trying to Find. Nothing else in common between us! Had one this morning from someone I don't think I have even been in contact with ........ I certainly don't recognise the name at all!! I've started prefacing any private email (especially with contacts from Trying to Find, with the phrase 'I have nothing in common with you or the family ......., I just like to help if I can'! I'm hoping that will stop the general May I see your tree! The problem as I see it is that the new system sends the request or the sharing immediately and automatically as soon as you click on that button ...... and it may be done accidentally!!

Matchless

Matchless Report 8 Apr 2007 18:36

When you pm'd them in the first instance - there is/was a little box which was automatically allowing viewing unless you had deleted the tick. So although you may not have realised it at the time - you were allowing them to view. Tou can remove permission as mentioned above or completely delete contact and so on. Worth some time in your message section to sort it out maybe? Kind Regards, Jules

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Apr 2007 18:39

Jules, The little box is only there for you to tick or otherwise if you make contact regarding a person in their tree or yours. If you make contact simply by sending a personal message via the message boards about something completely unrelated to trees, then this box isn't there. Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Apr 2007 18:47

MG HS This is a known bug, it appears to affect previously deleted contacts where the underlying messages have also been deleted. Until GR fix the problem, send a new message to the member concerned, then delete the contact. This appears to work. OC I don't have any examples of trees showing as open on one side but not on the other and it does seem illogical. Are you absolutely sure the other person can see your tree? Have they actually tried to access it?

Amanda S

Amanda S Report 8 Apr 2007 18:54

Hi I wonder if this problem only arises where someone has contacted another member by way of private message through the MESSAGE BOARDS. I have posted on them, as I'm doing at the moment, but have never sent any individual a private message and I am not experiencing this secret tree display problem. Similarly, I am not getting any old contacts back up and am not receiving any unexplained, random messages or requsts to see my tree. As far as I'm aware nobody has received any from me either. I've read about all these recent glitches but, touch wood, nothing untoward has happened to me at all, despite me having exchanged hundreds of messages through the search facility at the top of the page. It could be a message board thing. Regards Amanda

Caz

Caz Report 8 Apr 2007 19:10

These 'I have shared my tree messages' must be being sent automatically because I have received two in the past few days from a contact I made when I first joined last year, we send each other info through our private email addresses not genes so there is absolutely no reason for him to share his tree with me. The point being he has NOT sent these messages or any other messages where he has forgotten to untick the box. Caz

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 8 Apr 2007 21:05

Peter Yes, she can access my tree - I am not bothered because she has no interest in my ancestors, and I know that she would certainly not pass on any information - she couldn't be bothered apart from any moral feelings, lol! It is the ones I DON'T know about which bother me. When she and I have pm'd each other in the past, it has been through the message boards and there is no option either to open or close your tree using that method. And - I have just realised that she and about another 20 people have appeared at the top of my contact list this last couple of days, all with 'N/A' in the relationship column. I deleted all unwanted contacts on Thursday night and awarded all the rest a star rating - these new contacts do not have any star rating. OC And yes, MGHS - you have returned!lol.

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 8 Apr 2007 21:25

I have not been on this site for ages but just had a look and seem to have acquired 4 pages of contacts and a forrest of trees. I deleted them all a while ago. I only have an ancestral tree on here and the only living person is me so I am not to worried who sees it but something strange is going on. Old Crone I definitely don't want your relatives. I have enough problems of my own. Anne p.s. I have just counted and have access to 28 trees. I think I have asked to see about half a dozen of them when I know there is a definite connection or I have been trying to help with a complicated querry.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Apr 2007 21:36

im having the same trouble,its a pain ,i keep getting messages telling me that so and so wants to view my tree,when i contact them to ask them why, they dont know what im talking about,i feel really stupid sometimes, gr needs to get this sorted.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 8 Apr 2007 21:40

One of my contacts reappears in my list every day. She and I have been trying to delete each other permanently but without success. We are now getting quite chatty by e-mail. LOL Some of my phantom contacts vanished after repeated attempts but I'm getting invitations to view trees frequently too and some of those were from people with whom I have no proven connection. This latest 'improvement' to the site has its good points but the glitches are a pain in the neck. Sue

RStar

RStar Report 8 Apr 2007 22:03

Lol I had a VERY rude message recently from a lady abroad (I suspect New Zealand) who is not in my contacts, and hasn't even explained how she is connected to my tree. Her message started 'I think you will agree I have been OH VERY PATIENT!!!! in waiting for you to let me have your tree!!!' Oh my Lord, nearly spilled my tea. I don't even know who she is and I haven't got access to hers!

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Apr 2007 00:06

I had my family tree removed from the site before the new version came out. I have just had a look and found that my family tree is back on the site in the new version. All a mystery. Margaret N