Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help here would be greatly appreciated....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 14:54

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 14:56

Hi, This is really doing my head in so I was hoping someone can give me an idea of where to look, or at a different way at looking at it. I am looking for Mary Devenport circ. 1833. I have her marriage cert for 1861 january 20th to James Wesson (correct) in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, her father is listed as William Devonport deceased. At the time they were living at 104 Brick Kiln Croft Wolverhampton. We (family) have always known her as Mary Jane Austin Davenport (Devenport on marriage cert.), but she is not listed with the names Jane Austin until after she married. I cannot seem to find her on the 1841 or 1851 census at all or a William that seems to fit. I have put her as born in Staffordshire, Kent and Lancashire, with William as father and without in Ancestry searches. There is a Mary Devenport from Catham, Kent and a Mary davenport from Chilvers Cotton, Warwickshire that is close, but they are both on the 1861 census too so can’t be her. I have tried familySearch with no luck, only a group record for William Davenport christened 1798 Deptford, Kent plus one for 1778. I have her on: 1861 RG9, piece 1989, Folio 110, Page 17 Mary A Wesson, born Wigan, Lancashire Age 29 Dressmaker, 104 Brick Lane Croft, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire 1871 RG10, piece 3206, Folio 63, Page 2 Mary Jane Auston Wesson, Born Deptford, Kent Age 38 No Occupation, 7 Bells Inn, Snitterfield, Warwickshire 1881 RG11, piece 3101, Folio 3, Page 2 Mary J A Wesson, Deptford, Kent Age 48 No Occupation, 6 Bell Inn, Snitterfield, Warwickshire If someone could give me a few pointer or hint as to where to look next I would really appreciate it. Regards Louisa

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2007 15:05

Your info about the 1861 census may not be wholly accurate............ James Wesson's birthplace is Wigan Lancs Mary A's is recorded as D K That could be 'shorthand' for Deptford, Kent. It may be that someone took it to be Do Do, but the image doesn't look like that.............. Reg

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 May 2007 15:06

Had a look at that image, it's definitely D.K. and not ditto. Wonder if it's for Don't Know?

Heather

Heather Report 21 May 2007 15:09

If dad Devonport died and mum married again, may be she is listed under that name. I guess you have tried for Austin as a surname in 1851/41?? (She didnt just add on the Jane Austen because of the literary association? Was that about the right time??) A marriage at 28 is quite late - did she marry previously but didnt mention it on the marriage cert?

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:10

Hi Margaret, could be. But no luck, even looked at just age and name and had a look at all areas listed, though I am sure I have missed something lol Regards Louisa

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2007 15:12

'Deceased' fathers were sometimes dreamed up to cover illegitimacy..... Who were the witnesses to the marriage? Any clues there? Reg

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:14

Hi Reg, I originally worked on the assumption that she was from Deptford, Kent and this was an error, but then I tried both areas plus where they were married. Hi Heather, Austin was her mums maiden name before marrying William Devonport, and mary has the surname listed as Devonpoet on her marriage cert but I did look at this as a option with no luck Regards Louisa

Heather

Heather Report 21 May 2007 15:14

Do you know mums full name?

Heather

Heather Report 21 May 2007 15:16

So how do you know mums maiden name please?

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:21

Heather, unfortunately that is what I was told and not confirmed. but I did look just in case. Reg, The witnesses look like being Sophia (Crew?) Lowe and William B_abbi_? but i can't quite work Williams name out. I did look at Sophia Lowe on the 1861 to see if there were any in the area and there were a few, but none that gave me a clue. Tried Blabbie, brabbie and Brabb but nothing turned up regards Louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:23

Sorry Heather I wouldn't have a clue. The only reason the topic came up about Austin is that they named one of their sons with it (mary and James) Louisa x

Heather

Heather Report 21 May 2007 15:23

There are a couple of girls rightish age as domestic servants in Middx and Lambeth.

blueberry

blueberry Report 21 May 2007 15:33

Mary Jane Auston Devenport, Dob 1833 Diptford Kent. Died Mary Jane A Wesson, 1889 Apr-May-Jun, Stratford-upon-Avon. 1871 Lived Snitterton Warwickshire. Barbara.

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:34

Hi Heather, I noticed them and just had another look. It's a pity they are not listed with family isn't it. I think I will have to put this on the back burner for a while lol It sounds like I am doing something right but unfortunately have nothing to cross reference with. thankyou all for your help. At least i don't feel as silly as before Regards louisa

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:44

Hi Barbara, Thanks for that, i have found that info but was hoping to find her on the 1841 or 1851 census so I could find a bit more out about her. Unfortunately I started going a bit mad and thought I was doing something wrong or missing something hense this post. thanks again, Louisa

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 May 2007 15:53

Found this for 1841 1841 England Census about Mary Davenport Name: Mary Davenport Age: 9 Estimated birth year: abt 1832 Gender: Female Where born: Kent, England Civil parish: Chatham Hundred: Chatham and Gillingham County/Island: Kent Country: England Street address: Occupation: View image Registration district: Medway Sub-registration district: Gillingham Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Mary Davenport 9 Susan Davenport 35 William Davenport 45 William Davenport 1 View Original Record View original image Gerry :-))

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 15:55

thanks Gerry, Saw her, unfortunately that Mary is on the 1861 census and mine is listed as mary Messon that year ta Louisa

BABZ...

BABZ... Report 21 May 2007 15:58

Louisa can I have a go?! lol this age is slightly out (nothing unusual) and the first name is not the same (nothing unusual) But their dad William looks a winner?? 1851 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1552; Folio: 538; Page: 22; Household Members: Name Age William Davenport 62 abt 1789 Deptford, Kent, England Head Maria Bocock 39 1812 Deptford Daughter A Davenport 23 abt 1828 Stepney, Middlesex, England Daughter ============================== 1841 Census Class: HO107; Piece 712; Book: 16; Civil Parish: Stepney; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 35; Folio: 32; Page: 25; Household Members: Name Age Wm Davenport 50 Maria Davenport 50 Maria Davenport 30 Anne Davenport 16 Must off to bed. Babz

UrbanGirl

UrbanGirl Report 21 May 2007 16:03

Thanks babs, yes i am off to bed now (after 1am here). Looks promising, I will see if they are still on the census in 1861 etc Better go to bed, thanks again to everyone who has helped Louisa x