Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Invented occupation?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clive

Clive Report 26 May 2007 17:43

I have a marriage certificate for William Egerton Price. Date of marriage June 24th 1915, Middlesbrough. Groom's age 27, groom's occupation builder, groom's father Thomas Price (decd) Customs Officer, groom's residence apparently also Middlesbrough. Either I can't find the right Price family or a customs officer is better than a blast furnace worker. Any help or comments welcome. Clive

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 17:55

Possible birth Name: William Egerton Price Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec DISTRICT: Lancaster County: Lancashire Volume: 8e Page: 735 Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:04

Jim, Well found Maureen

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2007 18:09

Why would you disbelieve? 1891 William Egaton Price Thomas,Esther abt 1888 Morecambe, Lancashire, England Son Poulton Bare and Torrisholme Lancashire

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:09

Clive, Was the marriage in 1910 or 1915? Marriages Jun 1910 (>99%) PRICE William Egerton Middlesbro' 9d 952 Just wondering about the approx age of birth - 1883 or 1888 given that he said age 27 Maureen

Clive

Clive Report 26 May 2007 18:12

Thanks Glitter - the bride's father was a deceased joiner but family lore says she was a teacher. A number of her sisters were nurses. Bride's maternal grandfather was a blastfurnaceman. Clive

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:13

1901 poss Name: William E Price Age: 13 Estimated birth year: abt 1888 Relation: Son Father's name: Thomas Mother's name: Esther Gender: Male Where born: Morecambe, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Lancaster Ecclesiastical parish: Lancaster St Mary Town: Lancaster County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Lancaster Sub-registration district: Lancaster ED, institution, or vessel: 22 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 37 Household Members: Name Age Esther Price 49 Thomas Price 74 William E Price 13

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 May 2007 18:14

Oh ye of little faith, Clive! Calling your ancestor a liar! I agree if you look at the 1901 census it looks as if your William's father Thomas is a blast furnace labourer, but if you go back to 1881 you'll see that there is a Thomas Price who's a clerk in customs. He's a widower then but if you move to 1891, he's married again, is a retired customs officer and has a 3 year old son William Egerton Price.

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2007 18:16

1881 England Census about Thomas Price Name: Thomas Price Age: 54 Estimated birth year: abt 1827 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Crumpsall County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: 93 Crescent Rd Condition as to marriage: Widow Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Clerk In Customs Registration district: Prestwich Sub-registration district: Cheetham ED, institution, or vessel: 15a Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth L. Price 22 Thomas Price 54

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 May 2007 18:16

Well I am going to kick myself as I did look at the 1881 census and did not follow it through Name: Thomas Price Age: 54 Estimated birth year: abt 1827 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Crumpsall County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: 93 Crescent Rd Condition as to marriage: Widow Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Clerk In Customs Registration district: Prestwich Sub-registration district: Cheetham ED, institution, or vessel: 15a Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth L. Price 22 Thomas Price 54

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2007 18:17

1871 England Census about Thomas Price Name: Thomas Price Age: 44 Estimated birth year: abt 1827 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Elisabeth Gender: Male Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Civil parish: Worsley Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter Town: Swinton County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Registration district: Barton Upon Irwell Sub-registration district: Worsley ED, institution, or vessel: 7 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 266 Household Members: Name Age Elisabeth Price 42 Elisabeth L Price 12 Thomas Price 44

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2007 18:18

1861 England Census about Thomas Price Name: Thomas Price Age: 34 Estimated birth year: abt 1827 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Manchester Civil parish: Hulme Ecclesiastical parish: St George County/Island: Lancashire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Chorlton Sub-registration district: Hulme ED, institution, or vessel: 45 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 36 Household Members: Name Age Elizabeth Price 32 Elizabeth L Price 2 Thomas Price 34

Clive

Clive Report 26 May 2007 18:25

Thanks to all - this is improving I think. The 1915 wedding has him down as a widower and family lore says TB was the killer of th efirst wife. There was a boy born to the first wife named Reg(inald ?) - nothing more known.

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 May 2007 18:37

birth Elizabeth Louisa Price 1859 Jan-Feb-Mar Chorlton Lancashire

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 May 2007 18:48

Tees Valley Indexes has a marriage of William E. Price to Edith A. Harding in 1910 and William E. Price to Hannah Buckle in 1915. Also a death of Edith A. Price in 1913. No birth of a Reginald, though.

Clive

Clive Report 26 May 2007 18:53

Thanks Margaret, Clive

Willow

Willow Report 26 May 2007 19:07

Hi Clive One of my ancestors was a customs officer and I managed to find out about his postings, appointments and conduct in the CUST 28 range at the national archives..... Heres a page that might give you some more information about the kind of things that you can find out. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/guide/trade/customs.htm Happy hunting!

Clive

Clive Report 26 May 2007 20:17

Thanks Willow. It's strange how the breaks come. A couple of years ago I hit the proverbial wall on this branch but now it seems to be coming together. Thanks everyone, sorting and checking is going to take time. Clive