Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

chesh bmd site,could someone please explain??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Jun 2007 21:00

Hi Certificates didn't start until 1837. A burial record is what is recorded in the church parish records for the area, which are held in the area record office. If you know the church you can ask them for the plot number regards sandra

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2007 21:02

well you cant buy a death cert because BMD records didnt start till 1837. The best you can get would be a parish record of his burial. Shirley

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:05

hi...on csc cheshire bmd site,i have ralph oakes burial-13/2/1800...then it says...NO RECORDS....i wanted to buy ralphs death certificate to find out when and where he was born(i presume about 1753)but they only have his burial at st oswalds church in backford,cheshire.........is there any way i can purchase his death certificate? or when they say no records,does that mean,they only have the info from his burial?...bit puzzled....any advice???.....thanks...allan

Clive

Clive Report 11 Jun 2007 21:09

Sorry but there were no death certificates before 1837. OG

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 21:13

You should defo get what your after from the records office. Danny

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:17

thanks.....i went to the church about 6 weeks ago,and spoke to the vicar,but he said he didn`t have any records whatsoever in the church.....so i`ve reached a dead end regarding this ancestor haven`t i?.....so dissapointing to go so far and then just hit a brick wall.....am i correct,or is there another avenue i can take??...regards..allan

Sam

Sam Report 11 Jun 2007 21:18

The records will be held at Cheshire Records Office. Sam x

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:24

thanks sam....i know thats in chester........i`ll delete this message in 15 mins,thanks for everyones input...regards...allan

Sam

Sam Report 11 Jun 2007 21:25

It is definately worth trying the records office but I doubt they will have any further information than is on that website as the info you have found is a transcription from the parish records so should contain all the information that was available. Sam x

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 21:25

If you dont mind me asking do you live near chester? Danny

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:30

i live in garston,liverpool.,...about 30-35 mins by car...allan

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 21:33

Its just that i live in chester and will be going to the records office in the week if not tomorrow if you need me to look for you? Danny

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:37

thanks for the offer,but i`m planning another trip to backford,..i have many,many oakes family from backford,and i plan to spend a couple of hours around the gravestones,then into chester records office for some info...i would appreciate where the record office is situated though....nearest pub and road,then i1ll find it...lol...allan

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 21:42

The records office is in dukes street and the nearest pub is the cross keys inn if that helps. Danny

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:50

thanks danny........my favourite pub in chester is 'the boot'...are you going to the chester meet in the boathouse on 7th july???...allan

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 21:52

Yeah i just found out about it yesterday. And i think it would be really good to put afew faces to names. Are you going? Danny

Garstonite

Garstonite Report 11 Jun 2007 21:59

yes,i hope so.......i have an affection for chester ,as my ancestors were only 7 miles outside chester in backford....unfortunately,i am a shopfitter ,and i mostly do tesco stores...doing wrexham at the moment...starting burnley end of june,so i`m hoping to be at the chester meet,unless i get called into work..........but should be ok.......hopefully,i`ll see you there.......regards...allan

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Jun 2007 22:00

Yeah hope to see you there too as i dont know anyone. Good luck with your search. Danny

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Jun 2007 16:09

Just a quick question - I,ve looked at cheshire bmd site but how do you access the dates? All I get is a list of names with different coloured dots next to them. Is it me....?

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 12 Jun 2007 17:27

Could you all stop calling this the Cheshirebmd site please!! The Cheshirebmd site is a list of civil registration events. This site you are talking about is a parish register site and I am getting very confused! (But not half as confused as when I look at this incomprehensible, overly complicated site - who set it up, and why, oh why, did they do it like this) OC