Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PROBATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 19:18

My grandad was a widower and had 5 young children when he died in 1949. I found in central library the record of probate which was shared between his deceased wifes mother and his own brother, a total of £75. His children were put in a home and forgotten by the rest of the family. Why do you think the money was given to them and not divided amongst his children say in a trust fund? Also he is in an unmarked grave in Anfield cemetary, would I have to pay to find out were exactly it is and if I had the money be able to put a head stone there?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 17 Jun 2007 19:22

I don't know if you could County girl. I have a relative who was in similar situation didn't have a headstone and you couldn't tell exactly where he is. just the general area. You could always ask them at the office.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Jun 2007 20:29

You ask ''Why do you think the money was given to them and not divided amongst his children say in a trust fund?'' We will probably never know why. If you are correct in saying that there is probate this means it was your grandfather's wish, as stated in his will.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 20:33

What was the date of the Will, compared to the date of his death? He may have made the will at marriage and forgotten to update it when he had children. Does it not give any clue in the will? e.g. 'I leave all my money to my wife's mother on condition she looks after my children' or something? OC

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 21:09

And to be honest, £75 wasn't enough to set up a trust fund for five people, even in 1949. If I were you, I would HAVE to get a copy of the Will, just to see what he says. My money is on him having made the Will at the time of his marriage, before he had children, and never having updated it.He probably didnt expect to die young - nobody ever does. OC

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 21:15

It said, George Long 12 Chapel Place L6. Death 17th May 1949/ Probate 6th September to Annie Rainford (mother in law) and Henry Long (brother). Effects £75. 4s. 9d.

Judith

Judith Report 17 Jun 2007 21:15

Are you sure the money was left to these two people, as opposed to them being the executors in which case it could well be that he DID leave the money to his children, and their grandmother and uncle had the job of sorting out all the paperwork and sharing out the cash. But, as OC says, £75 wouldn't have gone far.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 17 Jun 2007 21:19

If this is just from the probate index, which is what it sounds like, it just means that they dealt with it. Doesn't necessarily mean that they got the money! You would have to get a copy of the will to find out. Don't bother with York - too slow! Apply to the Cardiff Probate office.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 21:27

Oh, right! Then you don't know who got the money. It certainly wouldn't have been enough to keep five children, so maybe their granny had no choice but to let them go to a home - no financial social support back then. OC

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 21:27

Thanks for all the advice. Pretty sure none of the children received anything, they never saw the uncle again and the gran visited once. I will look into getting the will.

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 17 Jun 2007 21:50

Well there wouldn't BE any money, or very little, after they'd paid his debts and funeral expenses and probably legal fees. They may have ended up out of pocket themselves, so don't be too damning on them. Jay

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 21:55

JANET I am not being bad towards them at all. The gran after all did take in the only daughter and everyone had big families and little money then so I understand why they went into care. I am just interseted in the will and know it is not a lot of money, maybe they paid of rent or depts? They didn't pay for a funeral as he is in an unmarked grave.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 23:02

They would still have had to pay for a funeral, even if he was in an unmarked grave, as he left assets of £75. OC

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 23:31

I don't get it. His probate was sorted months after his burial, so who paid for it at the time?

Meryl

Meryl Report 17 Jun 2007 23:33

If so why did my grandad end up in an unmarked grave? I am going to Anfield cemetery this week , must find him.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 17 Jun 2007 23:36

Country Girl Funeral expenses can be either defrayed until an estate is settled, or can be paid out of money that the deceased has left. When my Dad died, his bank account was, of course, frozen, until Probate had been granted. But the Bank paid his funeral expenses directly from his account - not to me, but to the Undertaker, and I think that has always been the case - you can pay funeral expenses before Probate is granted, from the deceased's money. To get a Pauper's funeral, you have to prove that the deceased left no money and no Will. Not the case here. OC

Meryl

Meryl Report 18 Jun 2007 00:01

Yes I e mailed Liverpool Probate tonight with details. Probably cost a bit to find out. Annoys me that you have to pay to find out about your own family.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 18 Jun 2007 00:03

Country Girl Because his Executors thought it was an unnecessary expense to pay for a headstone, probably. but you really must get that Will! OC