Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Going cross eyed here

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2007 13:05

some christian names would help and area the child was reg in. Shirley

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 13:07

Looking for a Rowbotham/Caton marriage. Child born in 1930, so possibly 1920s, probably Warwickshire Have searched from 1920 - 1930 and can't find anything. Anybody feel like having a bash? Sheila

Julie

Julie Report 6 Jul 2007 13:14

Sheila What were Rowbotham and Caton first names Julie

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 13:14

Child is Terence A born Warwick June Quarter 1930 Sorry Sheila

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2007 13:16

Do you know whether Terence was the eldest child or were there others? Kath. x

Julie

Julie Report 6 Jul 2007 13:20

Well i don't know if im doing something wrong, but i can't even pick up Terence's birth

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2007 13:22

Terence's birth IS there. It's on one of the quarters that is missing on Ancestry, but you can find it by opening one of the other quarters and then clicking on the year at the top of the image. You then have to chose the quarter you want and also the letter of the alphabet that the surname begins with and then search through the images. Long winded but it works. Kath. x

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 13:24

Regretfully I have no further information at the moment. I have worked back as far as the birth of Terence, which I've written down in my notes as 1930, but which may be 1931...sorry. Now looking for the marriage so I can identify his father and hopefully tie him into my line and confirm that I am related to someone I've known for years who of course, being a man, knows nothing about his antecedents! Sheila

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2007 13:29

I've looked from 1926 to 1931 inclusive for the marriage but haven't found it yet. I have to go out now, but have you considered that the parents might not have married. There were a lot of marriage break ups between the wars and instead of divorcing (which was expensive), some couples just lived with another partner as if they were married and registered their children as if they were. I have an instance of this in my own tree. Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2007 13:34

had to search a bit cos the qtr wasnt coming up altomatically but found it Terrance A Rowbotham mmn Caton Warwick 6d 1356. Had a look at marriages fror 1930 and 1931 just in case .nothing found, Did you search ALL the qtrs from 1920 because some dont always show up

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2007 13:38

It's here Julie:- Image 49 June qtr. 1930, Warwick, 6d, 1356 Terence A. Rowbotham Kath. x

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 13:41

At least I have the comfort of knowing it's not just me then! Perhaps naughty grandma and grandad weren't married after all. Thanks anyway Sheila

Julie

Julie Report 6 Jul 2007 13:42

Sheila I couldn't see anything, it might be best to get the B/C Kath Going to get my glasses changed, did see it in the end lol Sorry Julie

Julie

Julie Report 6 Jul 2007 13:47

Sheila My Nans Parents didn't marry untill 14 years aftr she was born, and she was the youngest. Julie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2007 18:34

Perhaps Terence's mother was married before she married Mr Rowbotham....let's give her the benefit of that doubt. Then there wouldn't be a Rowbotham = Caton marriage. Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 20:04

Thanks for all your responses. I'm no further on and still one generation away of proving that I am related to one of Mr Medlock's oldest mates, which is something we have always feared! Sheila

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2007 20:12

Sheila There must be a way round this......and I'm sure you're desperate to confirm the relationship...or not. Are Terence's parents alive.? If not does Mr M. know when they died? Did they die in the Midlands? We might be able to find them with enough clues. Maybe we will have to work back...in order to go forward. Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2007 20:38

Hi Gwyneth Mr M of course knows nothing - he finds it's by far the safest way when there are mad women about (I've just been on the phone to the other Sheila!) This started as one of those 'I wonder' moments and has pretty much taken up the entire day so far. I should have taken up crochet instead! Terence, as far as I am aware, is still alive, although Mr M has never met him. As he was born in 1930, his parents will be long gone! I know who I need his father to be, but if he didn't do the decent thing by his mother he makes it very difficult for me! Maybe I should just ask Mr M's mate next time I see him, whether he knew his grandad and go on to something more productive. Thanks for your input anyway Sheila

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jul 2007 20:56

I was hoping that we might be able to find Terence's parents on Ancestry. They could have died not too long ago, so then we could find birthdate, ....and from that their birth registration. Technically, Terence's parents could still be alive. My mum would have been 19 when he was born and only died last year. Gwyn....sounding older by the minute