Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding my rellies graves ( updated )

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 19:34

I know where my grandparents are buired and go on a regular basis, however I now want to find the graves of my great grandparents ( I know where one set are and also visit their grave ) but I would love to find the others. I have death certs ( originals ) for my two other g/grandma's but have no idea where theya re buried. Is there a way I can find out from the comfort of my own home as I work full time, so visiting archives in the week is not going to be easy unless I plan months in advance. Help and tips appreciated Joanne

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥

♥≈♥Louise♥≈♥ Report 10 Jul 2007 19:39

email the local council where they died they will be able to see if they are in there plots that is what i did

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jul 2007 19:40

The local council's bereavement services department should have a record of all graves, if the burials were in the cemetery. But if they were in a churchyard, then the records should be at the relevant records office.

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jul 2007 20:08

You're welcome. I found the staff very helpful.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 20:11

Thanks I will send out some emails later this week. Joanne

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 21:01

Thanks MM, I feel that my tree is now large enough and it is now time to go and pay my respects to my family xx

Vicky

Vicky Report 10 Jul 2007 21:13

Hi, following the tip on gr, i contacted the local bereavement service for the town my ggrandmother was burried. I did this on saturday evening last, and got my reply tonight. Not only have I got the plot number etc, but also that her husband was burried there later, with the date. vicky

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 21:27

Vicky that is brill, I will try later this week.........Fingers crossed

Vicky

Vicky Report 10 Jul 2007 21:34

I know - pity I have just wasted money sending for what I now know is the wrong death cert for ggrandfather. This week-end I shall be paying them a visit vicky

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jul 2007 21:57

Hope you - and all others that do this - have success. I have been very fortunate - Portsmouth: actually sent me a photograph of the area (there was no gravestone), Boscombe: a member of staff met me and showed the area to me (again, no gravestone), Lewisham: really went the extra mile giving me information and sent me a plan of Brockley Cemetery.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 22:05

I hope I get the same help and luck Will update you both ..........I will send the email this week and then see what happens x

Bo

Bo Report 10 Jul 2007 22:34

By a stroke of extreme good fortune I discovered where a relative was buried now where near wher i though it would be! but had no hope of visiting but I used google and a great website came up: www(.)achurchnearyou(.)com I emailed my enquiry about the burial and my message was passed on to the church warden who supplied me with a huge amount of info about the plot and who was buried there - including Nancy - faithful friend which not unsurprisingly they are intrigued about. The people at the church then went the extra mile for me and took some photos of the grave stone and emailed them to me - I have forwarded them onto the family who now all live in Oz. There are some truely generous people out there. Bo

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jul 2007 22:49

Wow Bo that is great...........I hope I get as much help. It is mainly my two g/grandma's and g/grandad's on my Mum;s side, I have the death certs for both G/grandma's but no one alive on that side of the family to help me

Lovettpod

Lovettpod Report 11 Jul 2007 08:35

I too have had lots of success wuth this line of research, and generous help from a few GR members with photos. Just another tip, when you enquire ask who else is buried in the grave, especially those who have no headstone to give you clues, I found 3 generations in one of my plots....sadly no headstone ever erected. The bereavement service (Landican) gave me deatils of burials of all of them. Praise too for Chester records office who took details over the phone and rang me back the next day with 2 burials in churchyard. Good Luck! Helen

Orange Cat and Me

Orange Cat and Me Report 11 Jul 2007 10:39

Check who else is buried in the cemetery with the same name and who is the grave next door, I found my 3xg grandmother next to her grandson and as I progressed down the line, various uncles I didn't know I had! Also I have found relatives who have been buried up to 100 miles from where they died as they returned to be buried in plots with spouses and more commonly with children who died in infancy. So where possible keep an eye on the census info. for where they lived. OC&G

Lancsliz

Lancsliz Report 11 Jul 2007 11:31

Hi Just bookmarking this useful info. Liz

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 11 Jul 2007 16:50

Right I have a spare 30 mins so I will email them now and give them to details I have from the death certs Joanne

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 11 Jul 2007 17:14

Well that ddn't go as I hoped, rang them direct and all info is at the archives, they said I would need to go down and view the records myself. GREAT............I have no chance of getting down there, If I had I would have gone months ago...........Need to draw up plan B now Joanne

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 12 Jul 2007 02:27

Hi all, Just posted this on another thread - don't underestimate the power of grave records. Whoever rellies married, lived with etc. they are likely to have ended up in a family grave if after about 1870 (dates vary). The offices that hold grave records have been fantastic to me, often free (well, always, so far) within reason. Try it. Margaret

Orange Cat and Me

Orange Cat and Me Report 1 Dec 2007 15:09

n