Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HULL - YORKSHIRE Help needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Roger

Roger Report 16 Jul 2007 08:05

My mother and siblings grew up in care. Recently had records from Barnados from 1920's which was great. BUT The Barnados records show an Aunt, ETHEL SWATMAN, then living at 3, Ashton Terrace, Waltham Street, Hull. I have no record of this lady on My Mothers parents sides. I have a record of a Herbert Swatman but married to Harriett. Barnados records also show Cousins as a Mrs Leggatt (24), 1, William Terrace, Hull and Mrs Mitchell (20), 2, Little Albion Street, Off Bond Street, Hull. Again my tree gives no clues and married names do not help. I now live in New Zealand so if anybody has any ideas or any search facility for around 1931 when these records were current I would be so grateful. Kind regards, Roger

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Jul 2007 08:10

You need help with electoral rolls for those addresses for the appropriate years. They will be found in a main library or archive local to the address. Although relationships will not be shown, the names of other members of the household might help link them into your research. Gwyn

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Jul 2007 08:42

Roger if you give us your mothers name & year of birth we can check her birth registration which will give her mothers maiden name & then we can check for other children born to the same parents. Georgina.

Roger

Roger Report 16 Jul 2007 10:21

Hi Georgina, I do have most of that information but cannot link to the names given. Mother was Barbara Hemstock.(1918) Her Mother was Rose Annie Reeves. Father was Bertie Hemstock. Mum had sister Rose, Brothers Bertie, George and Arthur. I cannot find a Sister for Rose Annie or for Bertie (Senior) called Ethel. If you can trace anything I would be really grateful. Kind regards, Roger

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Jul 2007 10:31

Roger do you have Rose & Bertie's marriage certificate & have you found their families on the 1901 census? Marriages Mar 1915 (>99%) Hemstock Bertie Reeves Sculcoates 9d 337 Reeves Rose A Hemstock Sculcoates 9d 337 If you have their marriage certificate can you tell me their fathers names & occupations. Possible birth for Rose.. Births Mar 1894 (>99%) Reeves Rose Annie Hull 9d 271 Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 16 Jul 2007 10:41

The 1901 census shows Bertie as 7 years old, what is strange is his mother is only 23 and his parents marriage was in 1892 so she would have only been about 14 when she married. 1901 census.. Name: Bertie Hemstock Age: 7 Estimated birth year: abt 1894 Relation: Son Father's name: Cornilous Mother's name: Elizh Gender: Male Where born: Mexbro, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Sculcoates Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter Town: Kingston Upon Hull County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Sculcoates Sub-registration district: Drypool ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 194 Household Members: Name Age Bertie Hemstock 7 Cornilous Hemstock 28 Elizh Hemstock 23 George H Hemstock 3 Hannah Hemstock 1 M Elizh Hemstock 6 Marriages Dec 1892 (>99%) Fisher Annie Sheffield 9c 787 Hemstock Cornelius Sheffield 9c 787 Mullington Elizabeth Sheffield 9c 787 Woolhouse John Henry Sheffield 9c 787 Georgina.

Roger

Roger Report 17 Jul 2007 07:58

Hello Georgina, Sorry computer down all day. You have the correct family Cornelius was the father of Bertie Hemstock Snr. and my Gt. Gt Grandfather. What I am trying to trace are sisters of either Bertie Hemstock (Senior) or Rose Annie Reeves. In Barnado's records the following people are shown as relatives of my Mother of whom I have no knowledge. Ethel Swatman described by Barnados as a maternal aunt. Cousins a Mrs. Leggatt aged 24 in 1931 and a MrsMitchell aged 20 in 1931. They may or may not be Daughters of Ethel Swatman. My first posting gives addresses so anybody having access to electoral rolls for that time may be able to assist with other names. Thank you for all your help. Roger

Roger

Roger Report 18 Jul 2007 01:19

Now resolved that ETHEL Swatman was in facy Harriett Reeves who used her middle name Harriett ETHEL Swatman. Now ned to try to trace her Daughters who were possibly married as Mrs Leggatt and Mrs Mitchell but do not know their first names DRAT!!! I guess the Daughters would have been born Hawthorn in around 1905 and 1911 in Hull. Hawthorne being the name of Harriet Ethel's first husband who died. Any help/advice on tracing these ladies or their offspring/husbands would be appreciated.

Kerry

Kerry Report 18 Jul 2007 01:31

Roger do you know when the first husband Swatman died and when the remarriage to hawthorne took place? Kerry from Oz

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 10:17

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1913 REEVES Harriet E HAWTHORN Ernest Hull Register Offices Hull HRO/59/6

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 10:21

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1929 HAWTHORN Harriett E SWATMAN Herbert Hull Register Offices Hull HRO/81/71

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 10:33

In view of the fact that Ethel married Ernest Hawthorn after the births of Mrs Mitchell and Mrs Leggatt, they may not be Ethel's children. Did Ethel have any other siblings that may have had children?

Roger

Roger Report 18 Jul 2007 10:56

Thanks for all the help. From direct correspondence today I now believe that Mrs. Mitchell is probably Mary E Reeves b. 1911 (E. Sculcoates, Hull) and that would tie in with Barnados records. Somebody has suggested she became Mary E. Mitchell but no spouse as yet. She would be a sister of Harriett Ethel Reeves. So I guess Mrs. Leggatt may be another Sister of Harriett Reeves born around 1901 and possibly married to a Leggatt around say 1920. Thanks again. Roger

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 11:00

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1929 REEVES Mary E MITCHELL Joseph Sculcoates Register Offices Hull SRO/131/7

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 11:05

Hi Roger I know this is your family so tell me to butt out if you wish! lol. But I don't think Mary Reeves who became Mrs Mitchell would be Harriet's sister, more likely niece and a child of one of Harriet's sisters. Here's what I believe to be Harriet's family in 1901 Name: Harriot Reeves Age: 9 Estimated birth year: abt 1892 Relation: Daughter Mother's name: Sarah E Gender: Female Where born: Hull, Yorkshire, England Civil parish: Holy Trinity Ecclesiastical parish: St Barnabas County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Hull Sub-registration district: Myton ED, institution, or vessel: 44 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 40 Household Members: Name Age Emily Reeves 10 Geo A Reeves 36 Harriot Reeves 9 Mary Reeves 4 Rose Reeves 8 Sarah E Reeves 37 Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4506; Folio: 167; Page: 6.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 11:19

Think I've got a handle on Mrs Leggatt now! This is the marriage of Harriet's sister Emily Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1906 REEVES Emily DREW Alfred St Andrew (Drypool) Hull JF/12/93 Here's a possible daughter for Sarah and Alfred Yorkshire Birth indexes for the years: 1907 DREW Sarah E Southcoates Hull SOC/2/141 And here's the daughter's marriage Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1930 LEGGATT Arthur R DREW Sarah E St Andrew (Drypool) Hull JF/23/6

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Jul 2007 11:30

It would seem that Mary Reeves who became Mrs Mitchell was the illegitimate child of one of the Reeves sisters Name: Mary E Reeves Year of Registration: 1911 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep Mother's Maiden Name: Reeves DISTRICT: Sculcoates County: Yorkshire - East Riding Volume: 9d Page: 464 (click to see others on page)

Roger

Roger Report 19 Jul 2007 08:17

Can I just say a great big thank you to eveyone who has so generously given their time to help. Jeanette, the Leggatt connection is absolutely right as my Great Aunt Emily was first married to Drew and when he died to Woodward. I knew nothing of a Daughter Sarah E Drew although I was aware of a Sadie Woodward from the second marriage! The last chain to resolve is Mary E. Reeves born 1911 who became Mrs. Mitchell and resolving who was her known Parent(s).Clearly one of the Reeves children. I am pretty certain it was not Rose Reeves as the Mother.The Sarah E Reeves I have is clearly too old b 1897 to be the Mrs Mitchell shown as 20 in 1931. I guess I may need to get a birth certificate for the child born in 1911. Thank you all again, Roger