Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Marriage record!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 23 Jul 2007 14:58

Hello, I’m hoping that someone can help me find a marriage record for the following:- Charles Hansen (born 1856, Norway) & Jane Robinson (born 1865, St. Lukes, Middx) I have the following info from the 1901 Census, address 76 Dongola Rd, West Ham: Charles Hanson, 45 Jane - wife, 30 (age a bit out, I think) Jane – dau, 7 Ethel – dau, 5 Charles – son, 3 Frances – dau, 2 I have searched the marriage records on Free BMD but cannot find a match for HANSEN – ROBINSON between around 1891-1901 and later. I also looked for HansOn. I am sure that this is the Jane Robinson in my Tree because my Mum had noted this address in her handwritten tree years ago, and the children’s names all run in our family. In 1891 Jane Robinson is single and living with parents at Lansdowne Rd, West Ham. The only marriage I can find for a Charles Hansen and a Jane is in March 1893, West Ham – Jane Ellen Catlin. But if this was my Jane this means she would have been married before to a Catlin and I can’t find a corresponding marriage! Please can anyone help find a marriage record for Hansen/ Robinson before I go round the twist?! Have to log off now but will check for any replies in the morning. Many thanks.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jul 2007 15:34

Well highly unlikely but: Marriages Mar 1900 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ATKINSON Minnie Ann Grimsby 7a 854 >>>>>Hanson Charles Grimsby 7a 854 >>>>>Robinson Mary Grimsby 7a 854 Smith George Grimsby 7a 854 Where were the kids born? Take it you are sure that is the right family you have found in 1901? You have certs backing it up? Seems pretty mature to have married for a first time doesnt he? What solid info do you have so that people can follow it backwards?

Irene

Irene Report 23 Jul 2007 15:48

have you found any of the birth certificates for any of the children of Jane and Charles. Irene ps looks like all the children were born West Ham - their birth details will tell you father and mother's names.

Kendo

Kendo Report 23 Jul 2007 15:50

The only marriage you found was to a Jane Ellen Catlin. The 1901 census for Charles Hanson shows a wife, Jane aged 30 born in St Lukes. Jane Ellen Catlin was born in Mar 1871 In Holborn, the admin area for St Lukes. Have you got the right Jane? Ken

Frances

Frances Report 24 Jul 2007 10:01

Thanks for your replies. The only 'solid' info I have is a handwritten Tree which my Mum gave me years ago. I wish she was still here so I could ask her more about the family! On the Tree she has written Jane Robinson married Charles Hansen. Jane was my Mum's Aunt - I have found her birth record on FreeBMD as 1865 (St. Luke's), and this ties in with the 1891 Census where she lives with her parents at 22 Lansdowne Road, West Ham, born St. Luke's, age 24. My Mum has written 'Robinson family resided in Dongola Road, Plaistow' which is West Ham. I then found the Hansen family in the 1901 Census as I first mentioned. I seems an almost perfect match. The Jane being born in St. Luke's, but her year of birth is a bit out. The children shown on the Census were all born in West Ham. Their names run in the family. But to complicate matters further, my Mum has written down other children for Jane & Charles: Charles & Jinny (no dates). I can't trace births for either of these. The only other person I can ask is my Aunt, who is 80 yrs old. All she can remember is that Jane was called Jenny and had a son called Jack!!! Needless to say I can't trace a Jenny Hansen or a Jack, so I don't know how good her memory is! It seems a great coincidence if there was another Jane & Charles Hansen living in Dongola Road, West Ham, but I just can't find the marriage record. Any ideas would be most welcome!

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jul 2007 10:31

I suppose the obvious answer is they never married. Have you found any of the kids birth certs? Just out of interest - and may be it will be of some help - there is a Norwegian Seamans church in Rotherhithe London. (My own mother met my father outside there :) - My Hansons use e or o at will) The Norwegian Church and Seamen’s Mission: St Olav’s Church 1 St Olav’s Square Albion Street Rotherhithe LONDON SE16 7JB Tel: 020 7740 3900 Fax: 020 7237 7280 Email: [email protected] Website: www.sjomannskirken.no/london

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jul 2007 10:37

1891 I presume you have seen this entry Name: Charle Hansen Age: 35 Estimated birth year: abt 1856 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Lizzie Gender: Male Where born: Norway Civil Parish: West Ham Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: 53 Lansdowne Rd Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: West Ham Sub-registration district: West Ham ED, institution, or vessel: 18 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Charle Hansen 35 Lizzie Hansen 36 Germany Same occupation as 1901 of stevedores labourer. Found this death Deaths Sep 1892 (>99%) Hansen Lizzie 35 W.Ham 4a 76

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jul 2007 10:51

Name: Jane Ellen Hansen Year of Registration: 1894 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar DISTRICT: West Ham County: Essex, Greater London Volume: 4a Page: 139 Does this birth suggest mother is Jane Ellen Catlin but the use of names? Maureen

Frances

Frances Report 24 Jul 2007 10:57

Glitter Baby - thanks for the Census info - I didn't have this. The address reinforces my belief that it's the correct family! They didn't waste much time if Charles' first wife died in 1892 and then he had a daughter with Jane in 1894! I had noticed the names Jane Ellen - I am wondering if Jane Ellen Catlin could be the same person as Jane Robinson, i.e. first marriage. I'll look again for a marriage Robinson - Catlin. Couldn't find it yesterday. UPDATE - Jane Ellen Catlin is a different person, I found her birth in 1871. This seems too much of a coincidence but I'm back to square one really. Heather - no, I don't have any certificates yet. I will order one and hope that it shows Robinson as the mother's maiden name. You're right, perhaps they didn't actually marry. I just presumed everything was above board in those days!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jul 2007 11:05

I have the birth cert for my grandmother born in 1900 and that suggests her parents were married and the 1901 census seems to back that up. Finally found the marriage in 1914 after all the children were born. Maureen

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 11:20

Frances If you look at the image for Jane E Robinson in 1891, it actually reads 20, not 24. Maybe she was registered as Jane Ellen Catlin because her parents weren't married & that was mother's maiden name? Angela UPDATE Just looked again at the 1891 image & there's a big gap between children 2 & 3 - previous marriage of mother?

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 11:26

Marriages Mar 1867 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>CATLIN John Henry Bethnal Green 1c 450 >>LEADER Frances Bethnal Green 1c 450 Pawsay Harriett Bethnal Green 1c 450 SARGENT Henry Bethnal Green 1c 450 1871 Jane E Cattin Age: 1 Estimated birth year: abt 1870 Relation: Daughter Father's name: John H Mother's name: Frances Gender: Female Where born: St Luke, Middlesex, England Civil Parish: St Luke Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke County/Island: London Country: England Registration district: Holborn Sub-registration district: City Road ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 214 Household Members: Name Age Frances Cattin 24 Jane E Cattin 1 John H Cattin 35 Alfred K Hardinge 24 James Hawes 21 Maria Leader 18 William Orlaner 45

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 11:37

Is this co-incidental? Marriages Dec 1881 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- JACKMAN Alfred W. Ham 4a 121 LATHWOOD Mary Ann W. Ham 4a 121 >>LEADER Frances Sibley W. Ham 4a 121 >>MOORE Edward Robinson W. Ham 4a 121 Angela

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 11:53

1881 Don't know where Jane is! Frances Robinson Age: 33 Estimated birth year: abt 1848 Relation: Wife Spouse's name: Edward Gender: Female Where born: Stepney, Middlesex, England Civil Parish: West Ham County/Island: Essex Country: England Street address: 19 Pitt St Condition as to marriage: Married Education: Registration district: West Ham Sub-registration district: West Ham ED, institution, or vessel: 13a Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Edward Robinson 32 Edward Robinson 4 Frances Robinson 33 Sophia Robinson 1 Angela

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jul 2007 11:57

Angela, I was about to post the 1881 Robinson family as that is the best match to the 1891 family. I have not found Jane yet in 1881 Maureen

Frances

Frances Report 24 Jul 2007 12:00

Angela - you have hit the nail on the head!! Thank you so much!! I just knew this had to be one and the same Jane. According to my Mum, Jane's parents were Edward Robinson & Frances Leader (the Leaders have been my most elusive family so far...) - I had noted that they married in 1881 and did wonder whether there was a previous marriage. I also wondered why there was such a big age gap between Jane and my grandmother Lily (nearly 20 years). Don't know why I've never tried looking for a previous marriage but you have found the info for me - this solves a couple of mysteries. Will now try to digest this new info....thanks once again, these boards are great!

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 12:02

Sophia, unfortunately :-(( Births Mar 1880 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROBINSON Sophia W. Ham 4a 47 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Deaths Jun 1884 (>99%) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Robinson Sophia 4 W. Ham 4a 49

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 24 Jul 2007 12:04

Frances It's a pleasure! (I'm still looking for Jane in 1881) Angela

Frances

Frances Report 24 Jul 2007 12:08

Thanks Angela! I thought Sophia had died young. My Mum said there were 13 children, many of whom died. I've traced 4 so far, but there were many Robinsons in West Ham so I can't match them all. My grandmother Lily was the youngest (1887) & she appears in the 1891 Census.