Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed with occupation please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beryl

Beryl Report 23 Jul 2007 23:31

My Great x3 Grandfather on early census is an Ag Lab on later census is Foreman of the board (Music). Does any body know what that would entail please. Beryl x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2007 23:40

It seems a bit of a change of career. Can you tell us the name and which census you have found him on so we can have a look for ourselves? Kath. x

Beryl

Beryl Report 23 Jul 2007 23:46

Thank you Kathleen will have to go and check as I have not got it infront of me. Berylx

Beryl

Beryl Report 23 Jul 2007 23:51

Hi Kathleen I,m back. Matthew Townshend born 1821. Piddinghoe East Sussex. 1841 Census Ag Lab 1881 Census Foreman of the board (Music) Beryl x

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jul 2007 23:53

I have to say it doesnt on the face of it sound like its the same man. Have you followed him back through certs?

Beryl

Beryl Report 23 Jul 2007 23:56

Thank you Heather, Yes I have he is with his family and at the same address. Beryl x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2007 00:00

I really don't know what it would entail. It just seems to me that it's a big jump from an ag. lab's job in 1871 to something to do with music in 1881 - although I'm not convinced that the word written above is music. Perhaps he took it on as a hobby after giving up work - although 60 was quite young to stop work in those days. I have agricultural labourers still working in their late 70's. Kath. x

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 00:03

Thank you for looking Kathleen. I will go have another look...but not tonight. I think I'm too tired to think:>)) Beryl x

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Jul 2007 00:15

Well I think it is foreman to local board and the word above might apply to the previous entry.

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 00:22

Thank you Jim. Have you any idea what that would entail please? What would the 'board' be responsible for. Beryl x

Dianne

Dianne Report 24 Jul 2007 00:35

On the 1881 it looked like Munic to me. Could it be short for Municipal? Although I wouldn't have the foggiest what the actual job could be. Sorry. Dianne xx

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Jul 2007 00:37

I don't think it says 'music', but I have no idea what it does say.

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 00:37

Thank you Diane, that is a possibility but I am still none the wiser as to just what he did. :>)) Beryl x

MaryfromItaly

MaryfromItaly Report 24 Jul 2007 00:38

Very good idea, Dianne. He was probably a foreman employed by the municipal board.

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 00:40

Thank you Mary....but what on earth would he do...any ideas? Beryl x

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 00:41

Sorry Dianne, mis spelled your name. Beryl x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 24 Jul 2007 11:27

I think it means he 'worked for the council' and was a Foreman! OC

Beryl

Beryl Report 24 Jul 2007 11:54

Thank you OC...that helps clear it up for me. Beryl x