Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIP/WARNING: Free BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Report 18 Jan 2011 05:50

I have just read Penny Eves story about find my Past and her unusual surname.
I am encountering the same kind of problem with the free BMD. When I type in the surname English a page comes up with "Error invalid value for surname" This must be new as I have searched before for the English family. I may also be blind as I can't find a contact to write too on the site.

Anne-Marie

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Jan 2011 06:45

I don't see that problem:

Search for Type: Births Surname: english End date: Dec 1840

Births Sep 1837 (>99%)
English Eliza Bromsgrove 18 144
English Elizabeth Chester le Street 24 26
English Elizabeth Spilsby 14 416
English Emila Rye 7 292
etc

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Report 18 Jan 2011 06:50

Just tried it again and still the same answer. I have even tried yours and still the same. Strange.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Jan 2011 07:14

I don't have a problem either. The only way that I can get an 'Invalid Surname' message it to type something like

English0
English/

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Report 18 Jan 2011 07:40

It's just English that all no mistakes. I have tried a complete new page and not my favourites and still no joy.

Well there you go I have just rebooted my computer and started fresh without my favourites and hey presto. Maybe the favourites was the problem.

Anne-Marie