Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2011 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grace

Grace Report 15 Jan 2011 13:56

With the 2011 census due shortly, it would be a good idea to copy your own for future reference without families having to wait 100 years.

As I was born 1936 and there was no census in 1941, I am recollecting my own family's whereabouts in 1951/1961/1971/1981/1991/2001 for
prosperity and for family tree etc.

Could have done it in 2001 but I didn't have the means/know-how
A Very Happy New Year to All Genes friends/members.

Grace x

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 15 Jan 2011 14:03

was just wondering what would happen if you were abroad, perhaps on holiday on that date?

Grace

Grace Report 15 Jan 2011 14:07

I'm staying here thanks - too much hassle for me!
Anyway, I'm sure this will not be unique and the enumerators will be trained.
I'm thinking about all the Asylum Seekers Legal/Illegal and those homeless folks.

regards

Grace x

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 15 Jan 2011 14:10

Hello Grace,

someone had a link to the new census form. I wish I kept a copy now, it was very interesting.

I don't know whether people abroad on holiday would be recorded though, however, I expected those in the military would be.

Grace

Grace Report 15 Jan 2011 14:15

Hi again Secret Squirrel,
I've heard that there is going to be some 'intrusive' questions did you notice any that you can remember? This is so I can be forewarned and prepared ha!

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 15 Jan 2011 14:17

Hello Grace, I think there were but alas my memory is poor. I'll see if I can remember who posted it.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 15 Jan 2011 14:19

http://www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011-census/2011-census-questionnaire-content/index.html

Just googled, this is a link which has a link (to the right) of the questions that may be asked. It wasn't the form that I saw though. (The one I looked at was a proper form)

Grace

Grace Report 15 Jan 2011 14:22

Much appreciated for the info SRS I will now go and 'investigate'

Grace

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Jan 2011 17:16

Hi Grace,

I said the same thing a few months ago. The census is quite long, with some questions that may be considered intrusive. There is a household part, then 6 pages for each person (up to 6 people).

I have downloaded a blank sheet for the 1911 census which I plan to enter details from my family and another for each member of my family. I will copy all of their census forms prior to them sending them back too.Like you said, that way people don't have to wait 100 years. I know that a lot of work, but I don't mind.
I cannot find the link I used, but have saved a copy of the 2011 census form to my pc.
If anyone wants it I can send it.
PM me your email address if you want it.

Cheryl

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 15 Jan 2011 17:24

I have asked my FIL to record in his dictaphone his life for me to transcribe at a later date and copy to a more up to date media. My Mum read a story to her grandchildren which we videoed and is stored on a hard drive.

I have samples of all my close families handwriting.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Jan 2011 17:32

Thats interesting. I may do the handwriting bit.

I have an MOT certificate signed by my brother from back in the early 80's. He passed away in 1989 aged just 30. So I know how prescious something like that can be.

Many moons ago I also made paving slabs which my children wrote their name and did a hand print. Thats this nice to look at now.

Don't we do some strange things

Grace

Grace Report 16 Jan 2011 13:28

Although it seems strange, I have the last letters relatives have written to me not long before they died. My family do call me Witchy Poo! as I seem to know things before they happen (dreams perhaps?)
Anyhow, I have copied these on to a 'passport' and also have the originals.
I also have the letter to my mother/father notifying my eldest brother's death in WW2. He was shot down over Gibralter (RAF) and washed up in Tangiers where he's buried.
His diary has been sent to the RAF for preservation but I have copies.
I'm a hoarder though and still have my 16th birthday card my father sent as I always moaned that HE never sent me a card it was always mum that did this.
I have my Grammar School Curriculum with all the teachers/status and even the bedtimes the school doctor expected to be adhered to.

Grace

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 16 Jan 2011 15:33

This the link to the questions on the 2011 census.
Click on the downloads on the righthand side.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/census/2011-census/2011-census-questionnaire-content/index.html

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 16 Jan 2011 17:47

I have sent copies of the 1901 census form and the 2011 census questioinaire to those that asked.
I will look for the 1911 blank form later.

Linda

Linda Report 16 Jan 2011 20:26

Cheryl.

I am in the process of doing all that information. I have already got my mother / grandmother siblings ect addresses of where they were living from 1911 moving down towards the present day. I have only my elderly father & an aunt to sort of help me now. I have also been blessed the family did`nt venture to far away from the area they were born..

Linda.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 16 Jan 2011 20:43

Glad you got it ok.

Cheryl