Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel Slaughter b approx 1828

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 2 Jan 2011 21:22

How do I confirm whether I have the correct Samuel Slaughter and his family on the 1841 census? My Samuel was born c1828 in Ingworth or Suffield in Norfolk. His father is also Samuel Slaughter according to his marriage certificate (the witnesses on the marriage cert don't give me further clues). I have found a baptism record for 11 May 1828 to a Samuel and Mary Slaughter, and I have found this family in Suffield on 1841 census.

But how do I definitely confirm this is him and I have the correct family before I pursue this? It all sounds good, but want to double check if possible...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Jane

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 2 Jan 2011 22:37

Have you found him in later censuses - to help with the birthplace?

Did he have any siblings? It might help if you looked for them maybe?

Did he leave a Will?

Jill

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Jan 2011 23:50

Is he the one who married Margaret Rowe in 1849 in Erpingham, Norfolk?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Jan 2011 00:04

There's another Samuel son of Samuel on the 41 census. He's aged 10 and in Erpingham. he's the son of Samuel & Ann.

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2011 12:22

Hi

Thanks for your replies so far! He is the one who married Margaret Rowe in 1849. I have him in all other censuses - his birthplace is quoted as Ingworth on 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses, but quoted as Suffield on 1881 census. He dies in 1886. The only thing I know about him prior to his marriage in 1849 is that his father was Samuel also, and he was born c 1828. Problem is that there were lots of Slaughters around this area at the time - I also found the one who is son of Samuel and Ann. Which one is mine? :) Samuel Senior was a labourer on the marriage cert, so nothing significant to go on there. Witnesses were John Attow and Elizabeth Sexton at Samuel and Margaret's wedding - the 1841 census which I think might be him does show a sister of the same age named Elizabeth, but I can't find a Slaughter/Sexton marriage to try and see if this was her.

So its just guesswork unless I can find a definite link! Isn't it hard prior to 1837? :)

Thanks!
Jane

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2011 12:25

Oh, forgot to say, no record of a will for my Samuel when the Probate Office searched between 1886-1889 for me. Interestingly, he died in North Riding Lunatic Asylum, Clifton, Yorkshire. I have all his medical records from his time in there, but no clue to siblings or parentage.

Thanks
Jane

Jane

Jane Report 3 Jan 2011 19:34

Just bumping this up, any help in suggesting how I confirm this is the right family would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 3 Jan 2011 22:46

The Samuel who is son of Samuel and Ann......unfortunatly he is also a Labourer...!!

Norfolk
Place Erpingham
Church St Mary
RegisterNumber 198
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 29 May 1831
Forename Samuel
Sex -
FatherForename Samuel
MotherForename Ann
FatherSurname SLAUGHTER
MotherSurname
Abode
FatherOccupation Labourer
Notes
FileNumber 6593

With a brother Edward......does that help distinguish the correct one?

Norfolk
Place Erpingham
Church St Mary
RegisterNumber 281
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 25 Oct 1836
Forename Edward
Sex -
FatherForename Samuel
MotherForename Anne
FatherSurname SLAUGHTER
MotherSurname
Abode
Notes
FileNumber 6593

And a sister Ann..

Norfolk
Place Erpingham
Church St Mary
RegisterNumber 324
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 25 Aug 1839
Forename Ann
Sex -
FatherForename Samuel
MotherForename Ann
FatherSurname SLAUGHTER
MotherSurname
Abode
Notes
FileNumber 6593

And Elizabeth Sexton marriage...father Samuel Slaughter...

Norfolk
Place Suffield
Church St. Margaret
RegisterNumber 22
MarriageDate 16 Dec 1849
GroomForename William
GroomSurname COLE
GroomAge 26
GroomParish Antingham
GroomCondition Bachelor
GroomOccupation Rat Killer
GroomAbode Antingham
BrideForename Elizabeth
BrideSurname SEXTON
BrideAge 24
BrideParish Suffield
BrideCondition Spinster
BrideOccupation
BrideAbode Suffield
GroomFatherForename Robert
GroomFatherSurname COLE
GroomFatherOccupation Rat Killer
BrideFatherForename Samuel
BrideFatherSurname SLAUGHTER
BrideFatherOccupation Labourer
WitnessOneForename John
WitnessOneSurname NEWLAND
WitnessTwoForename Mary Ann
WitnessTwoSurname COLE
Notes All mark X
FileNumber 2226

Nicky

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 23:17

residence: Norfolk, England
parents: Samuel Slaughter, Mary Slaughter

record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
name: Samuel Slaughter
baptism/christening date: 11 May 1828
baptism/christening place: Ingworth, Norfolk, England
father's name: Samuel Slaughter
mother's name: Mary Slaughter
indexing project (batch) number: I07434-1
system origin: England-EASy
source film number:

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 23:18

parents: Mary Slaughter

record title: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
name: Samuel Slaughter
burial date: 24 Mar 1809
burial place: Matlask, Norfolk, England
mother's name: Mary Slaughter
indexing project (batch) number: I03979-2
system origin: England-EASy
source film number:

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 3 Jan 2011 23:41

Been looking at both Samuels in 1841 and 1851...

The one born c1828, son of Samuel and Mary with siblings Elizabeth ,Hannah, William George Sarah and Eliza are living at Walsham Road Suffield in 1841...what address does Samuel give on his marriage cert. in 1849.? Does it say Walsham Road?

The younger Samuel born c1831 son of Samuel and Ann is still single in 1851.

If the ages are correct for both Samuels on both census`s { and they are consistent with birth years approximatly the same for each census} then I think everything points to your Samuel being the son of Samuel and Mary.

Nicky

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Jan 2011 23:45

I agree with Nicky, I think it has to be Samuel, son of Samuel & Mary based on the fact that the other Samuel was still single in 1851.

Jane

Jane Report 4 Jan 2011 21:00

Hi

Thanks all very much for your help! I have to agree, I think all signs point to Samuel and Mary which is fantastic. I'm sure Elizabeth Sexton could also be a key, I'll need to look into that a bit more. But excellent detective work to find out the other Samuel is still single in 1851 :) Incidentally, my Samuel's address at the time of his marriage in 1849 was just Hanworth, Norfolk, so not much to go on there either. But I think you have whittled it down nicely!

Thanks again, to all of you!
Jane

Jane

Jane Report 4 Jan 2011 21:33

Me again :) Just pondering out loud why Elizabeth Sexton would have a different name to her father although she is indicated to be a spinster rather than a widow?

Any ideas?

Thanks
x

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Jan 2011 13:19

Yes i wondered about that.......either she was married previously and the "spinster" entry is wrong ....or i wandered if prehaps shed been taken in by the family, maybe orphaned or something and Sexton was her birth name?

Nicky