Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burials in London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 2 Jan 2011 14:56

Can anyone tell me what the general procedure is for finding where people are buried in London? I have purchased death certs which obviously show which area they died in and home address etc, but have no clue as to where they are buried. Would this mean a trip to the London Metropolitan Archives perhaps to trace which cemetery they were buried in, but then we would need to find the plot no. and grave itself. London is such a daunting place!

RobG

RobG Report 2 Jan 2011 16:20

As PP says most London churchyards virtually ceased burials around 1890 (I say virtually, as things like pre-purchased family plots, etc. still went on).
You don't say what dates you are looking at. If you put here names, places and dates (assuming they are not too recent), someone can take a look at Ancestry (who have many of the London Churchyards) or at least suggest which of the municipal cemeteries are worth contacting. Worth noting though, some charge for searching their records (from memory Kensal Green was c.£20 last time I asked about it)

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 2 Jan 2011 20:24

In 1850 London's cemeteries were almost full, further burials were prevented and The London Necropolis Co. bought 400 acres of heathland at Brookwood (Woking)to found a new national cemetery where all London's burials were intended to be carried out. The cemetery had its own station where bodies were transported by train during the night. It is now one of the biggest cemeteries in Europe.
Pam

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 2 Jan 2011 20:29

Have a look at deceasedonline.com This is a work in progress and so not all cemeteries are listed but I found quite a few of my relatives in Islington cemetery. It's worth going back to the site every few weeks or so as it is constantly being upgraded. Pam

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jan 2011 11:05

Also have a look here (Stoke Newington) I found a lot of my relatives in here. Gives plot numbers/map and I managed to get them to send me a photo of the graves (after a long chase !) they don't always seen to receive the mails.

www.abney-park.org.uk

Jan

Alison

Alison Report 4 Jan 2011 12:31

Many thanks for the helpful replies I have received so far, I am in the process of following up some of the advice. And thanks especially Pam for the lead about deceasedonline.com, I didn't know of this before. I have indeed found one of my relatives using that site also in Islington cemetery - what a shame not more cemeteries are listed at this point but I shall certainly be using this site again.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 4 Jan 2011 13:26

Depending on the date range you are looking at, there are some London burials on Ancestry.co.uk for various London parishes.