Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR Standard Package "New Benefits"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 00:00

Did anyone else get the e-mail from GR this evening detailing "new benefits" free for the Standard Package?
In addition to the new "Help Clinic" (!?!?!) and "Exclusive upgrade offers to Gold or Platinum" (!?!?!?!?!), they mention:
"FREE access to non indexed birth records. You now get unlimited access to all non indexed birth records without having to purchase credits. "
and
"Exclusive Loyalty Discount – As a valued member of Genes Reunited we would like to offer you an exclusive 20% off when you renew your subscription. You have to renew within 1 month of your expiry date to receive your 20% discount"
What records come under the first, and does the second replace my "oldies rate" of a tenner a year or is it in addition.
Anyone got any thoughts?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Nov 2010 00:29

I think a lot of people had that email as well. I disregarded it as Ihave a full Ancestry membership.

Although I have the standard rate of £10pa, my home page only gives the option to upgrade to Platinum Only £64.95 for 6 months. Who knows if that includes a discount??!!

That package gives

Victorian Census Records from 1841-1901 (England and Wales)
Birth Marriage and Deaths from 1837-2004 (England and Wales)
British Military Records from World War I and II
Access to all 1911 transcriptions and original images of Enumerators Summary Book

From what has been said in the past, the Gold package doesn't include the 1911......although that could have changed!

Previously, if you opted for package including records, you couldn't revert to standard £10pa and had to have the £10 for six months.

Most people prefer Ancestry or Findmypast, but it is horses for courses. Both those sites offer a 14 free trial - just remember to cancel in time or your card wil be charged

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 00:34

Hi DetEcTive,

I already have Ancestry, but was wondering if there was anything interesting in the "festive offer". Seems like nothing new then.
Just the "loyalty discount to ponder then! ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Nov 2010 00:43

If you have several months left on Ancestry, the only thing you're missing is the 1911 - which you can get as a 6 (£39.95) or 12 month (£59.95) sub at FMP + 20% discount when you renew. Don't forget that GR don't do Scottish record.

You'll have to 'look out for' the promised upgrade Exclusive Offers - lol

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 00:49

LOL

I think I'll pass on that! Upgrading on GR doesn't really appeal :-)

It was just the "Free access to non indexed birth records" and "Loyalty discount" that attracted my attention.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 25 Nov 2010 00:55

Nothing changes, the Help Clinic, guaranteed to answer in 5 days ! has morphed into Scottish lookups and the recent changes have done nothing to inspire Festive spirit !

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Nov 2010 08:31

The 20% discount suits me fine.

Joy

Joy Report 25 Nov 2010 08:37

The 20% discount is probably applied now as that is the same offered in find my past for renewal.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Nov 2010 09:33

Doesn't the 20% discount imply the costs have gone up - I looked but couldn't find anything stating how much the Standard package is now.

Sally

Sally Report 25 Nov 2010 12:50

From GR's Facebook page:

Thank you to everyone who has given feedback regarding the trial of the Help Clinic. We are currently collating feedback and in the meantime will be removing the Help Clinic page. The suggestions we receive from members greatly influence the decisions we make for the site. We will shortly be sending out a survey for su...ggestions as to how we can improve the message boards and will look forward to your feedback.

So is Help Clinic a new benefit or not?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Nov 2010 14:18

I have had an e-mail too

I wonder why they "communicate" via facebook instead of these boards ?

I do not use facebook at all

Flick

Flick Report 25 Nov 2010 14:50

No offer made in my e-mail inbox

I don't use facebook, either........

Joy

Joy Report 25 Nov 2010 16:33

Where are my threads and others' threads that were in the Help Clinic page? Mine are bookmarked and are still here and appear to be in the Help Clinic when I open them.

confused emoticon

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 16:44

Joy,
If you navigate to the thread using your bookmarks, what does the URL say?
If it starts with:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/help_clinic
Then it is still on Help Clinic, but unless people have it bookmarked, they will not be able to (easily) navigate to it.
If the URL starts with (for example):
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/tips_board
Then GR have moved it to another board when they closed the Help Clinic.

Hope that helps.

Joy

Joy Report 25 Nov 2010 16:47

Here is one of them :-)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/help_clinic/thread/1249862

BRB

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 16:54

OK.

If you click on the Help Clinic icon on the main page you go to:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/content.page/help_clinic

Which is the "new" default page, directing you to the other boards.

However, if you go to:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/help_clinic/

You get the "old" Help Clinic page with all the threads.

That'll confuse all those that have trouble navigating this site anyway. ;-)

Joy

Joy Report 25 Nov 2010 17:27

Thank you :-)

I have saved http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/help_clinic/

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 25 Nov 2010 21:09

I tried to access these so-called free records but whenever I clicked on the link to view, I simply got the Ancestry Home Page with subscription details!

Incidentally, can I assume automatic 20% renewal discount as when my subscription is due for renewal, I usually get an email from GR advising me that they are about to take the fee from my credit card?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 25 Nov 2010 22:34

I accesssed the free records earlier and it is just the scanned BMD index pages. I suppose they can offer these now as FMP have completed indexing them I believe.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Nov 2010 23:25

so why not just use freembd.org.uk?