Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How much should I charge.....??!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 7 Oct 2010 13:24

Hello! I've done a bit of research for various friends; just finding out the basics; details of great grandparents from census, certs etc. I've gone back about 6-8generations depending on how easy it's been......

Anyway, I've typed it all up in a report type document - usually ends up at about a ream or two of paper......and because they're friends, I've just charged them for the certs I've had to order....

Anyway, an aunt (by marriage) of one of my friends wants me to look at hers and pay me to do it.....to cover certs/paper/ink/time etc......And I have no idea what to charge!! i don't want to be unreasonable but as I'm sure you're all aware, it is VERY time consuming and can get a bit headachy to say the least....should I charge extra for ibuprofen......?!!!

Just wondered if anyone else has done research for other people and how much they've charged them....

Thanks xx

RStar

RStar Report 7 Oct 2010 13:44

I sit here like a mug and do it all for free, but it mentally drains you. I'd say around the £40 to £50 mark unless shes short of money.

Kelly

Kelly Report 7 Oct 2010 13:56

I'm a mug too! I must have looked at about five different families who are completely un-related to me....my husband doesn't get it. He thinks it must be boring if it's someone else's family but maybe I'm just nosy......!!

But I think £40-£50 sounds fair.....maybe I'll text the quote to my friend so I don't have to ask for the money face-to-face.....!! (Good job I don't work in sales; I'd be chuffing hopeless!!)

Thanks xx

Joy

Joy Report 7 Oct 2010 16:49

The LMA charges £40 per hour.

I would only ask for payment for essential certificates purchased.

Yes, I have done research for a friend who insisted on paying for certificates.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Oct 2010 19:08

As a minimum starting point, why not charge around the minimum wage, say £6.00 per hour, plus out of pocket expenses, such as travel post and cost of certificates.

Do be aware, though that research sites such as Ancestry, Find My Past, the Genealogist etc do not allow you to do look ups for commercial purposes if you only have a personal subscription and if you are rumbled you could be in big trouble.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 7 Oct 2010 19:51

Personally I wouldn't get involved in charging for genealogical reserach. Let the person pay for certificates, photocopies etc. but do the research free of charge. If you're like most of us here and enjoy doing the research, why not? If you charge a fee you're obligated to come up with the correct information and we all know how easy it is to make a mistake and follow the wrong family. If you have charged someone for research that is faulty there'll be bad feelings.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 7 Oct 2010 21:24

Agree with MargaretM. I have done this for 3 remote family members (none of whom I had heard of until a couple of years ago). I've love doing the research, already had the subs, and just asked them to pay for certs, paper and ink, and a posh binder - about £100 in total.

I'd already researched one branch of the family, so didn't need any new certs.

Derek

Derek Report 8 Oct 2010 12:18

Madmeg and Margaret Manson on the same page!! wow..hello darlings!!....Ive never charged a bean!

Derek (Derbyshire)

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 8 Oct 2010 13:59

I have also done research for others. I would never dream of charging. However, if they have asked you to do it, why don't you show them how to get started themselves. It is much more fun getting the info yourself.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Oct 2010 14:03

Wow! Madmeg, we're darlings now!
Hi Derek. I thought it was funny that you said you never charged a bean.
My response would be "I never charged a Bean, either, nor any other family member. (My maternal family were Beans)".

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Oct 2010 14:34

I've done a fair bit for friends and in-laws, and have only charged for certs, which I'm happy about. When they've asked me how long it took, they are absolutely gobsmacked to find out. People just don't realise how much time it takes - I wonder if this is thanks to WDYTYA who make it look like the info is just sitting there waiting for us!!!.

So, when it comes to friends of friends, friends of neighbours etc, people I don't know, then I feel that charging for your time and efforts is acceptable. I would say a reasonable fee is somewhere around the minimum wage, say around 5/6 pounds p hour, plus the cost of certs.

They might be surprised at the overall charge, so I would explain to them first that it could be costly (more than 50 or 60 quid I'm sure). And think about the cost to you, which you may not charge them for - of photos/photocopying, travel time to churchyards/record offices, printing and paper etc - so if they were having it done by a pro, they'd end up paying far more wouldn't they!

I paid 7.50 an hour to a professional once (at the WDYTYA fair) and ended up with nothing more than I'd already found in my own research, despite giving them all that in the first place!

Don't sell yourself short.

K

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 8 Oct 2010 16:27

I have done research for about 20 friends and friends of friends. I do not charge, other than if I have to obtain any certs or look up the 1911 census, but I do ask them to make a donation to the Essex Air Ambulance. They can donate what they feel able to afford, I love doing research, so all three parties are happy.

Kathlyn

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Oct 2010 16:50

Quite a difference, Slartibartfast, A plumber or mechanic has papers to prove that he/she has been trained for their job and has passed exams. I don't think Kelly has any such training.
Unfortunately a lot of folks claiming to be professional researchers have no training and I've seen some horrendous work done by them.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Oct 2010 17:11

If you care to read my earlier post I said "as a start point"

The minimum wage is around £12,500 per year, by the way. About half the national average.....!

RStar

RStar Report 8 Oct 2010 17:18

Thats not bad though, over 12 grand a year doing something you love! My husbands only on £18,000 for manual labour.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 9 Oct 2010 08:39

At what point would charging count as "commercial" and break the TCs ?

Kelly

Kelly Report 9 Oct 2010 09:53

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I've decided just to charge for expenses; certs, paper etc. I didn't really think about the legal issues of using online sites for commercial gain!

My friend's aunt is insisting on paying £50 plus extra for certs ordered.....she seems to have asked around and this is the lowest she'll go! She said a professional would charge hundreds so she's well aware I'm not an expert....

I don't think this is unreasonable as after I've paid out for travel, paper, printer ink, binders, pay-per-view on the 1911 census (no I haven't upped my sub to include this - what a rip off!!!!!) etc etc, it probably won't be far off £50 anyway....

And I don't think she wants to do the research herself as she's in her mid 70s and is a self-confessed techno-phobe!

Derek

Derek Report 9 Oct 2010 18:57

Hi Margaret manson Beans...you're as mad as Meg!!......great!!
Sorry..I forgot Romany Star as among my darlings!! lol

Derek.

RStar

RStar Report 9 Oct 2010 21:33

Whoop whoop Derek me duck!!!! xxxx

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 10 Oct 2010 23:30

That Derek chap is just a softy. And a lovely one.

I've only researched so far for family - albeit quite remote, but nevertheless family - the latest was for the husband of my husband's cousin's wife's cousin (if you get that!). She saw what I had done for my husband's cousin and asked me to do the same for her late husband. She is thrilled. I don't think this contravenes the rules of FMP etc. She is a relative. I far more contravene the rules by looking up stuff for people on here! Which I am happy to take the risk for.

It is my hobby. I am not a professional researcher, and some on here will know my limitations (don't jump in!) so I wouldn't charge anyone for my time at the moment. I am sure there are people on here who could lay claim to being very experienced and could probably class themselves as professionals, but hey, most of aren't in it for the dosh, we just love doing it.

Long may it last.

Margaret