Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old computers and ..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 11 Jul 2010 09:28

Hello, please can anyone tell me how to get rid of my old bulky computer monitor and system unit please? It has been suggested that I should take a hammer and break it down would you say that was the best idea?

also, my computer keeps throwing me out and configuring updates which I am sure is important but surely not when I am working on 'stuff' ie this message!! Help please!!

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 11 Jul 2010 09:38

Take it to your local refuse tip. DO NOT HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!!!

michael2

michael2 Report 11 Jul 2010 10:49

take out the memorey board the take it to rubbish tip.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 11 Jul 2010 11:21

Our "Amenity Refuse Site" - known as "the dump" - has a special collection point for old computers
Liz

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 Jul 2010 11:28

Before you dump it, you should erase any files on the hard drive, especially if it might contain any sensitive info (eg banking details, etc). If the computer isn't running then remove the hard drive and hammer that in order to make it inoperable. As Jonesey says above, though - no need to destroy any of the other components as it is easier to recycle if they are intact.

Richard

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2010 13:25

It isn't the memory board you need to remove, it is that hard disc drive.....!

joysie4

joysie4 Report 11 Jul 2010 14:40

I added my three printers i couldnt repair and keyboard on freecycle the chap collected them as he repairs computers etc so it saved me a journey to the tip

oldbean

oldbean Report 11 Jul 2010 19:01

Thanks everyone for the replies, apologies for not responding sooner . I would rather recycle if possible although its bulky it has a flat screen and in good order so that sounds a good idea I just have to locate the memory board!! Thanks again

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2010 19:55

You obviously haven't read nor understood the thread.

You don't need to locate the memory board., this has no significance. The only item that might need to be destroyed is the HARD DISK,

oldbean

oldbean Report 11 Jul 2010 20:34

InspectorGreenPen, you sound like my old school teachers! Thank you for putting me in my place!! I did read one of my replies which mentioned the memory board. Perhaps I need to locate the HARD DISK as you mentioned in both your replies which I again thank you for. Unfortunately like the car, I only drive it and and have to ask for help occasionally for maintainance. I now don't know if I dare ask how I locate it ?!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2010 20:57

Priceless, isn't it, how you remember your old school teachers.

Most of my memories from the 60's and 70's seem to revolve around getting whacked for not toeing the line, but there were lots of good times too,,,,,!

In those days there was a boundary, cross it and you got it. Perhaps that is what is missing today.

Take care,

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 11 Jul 2010 21:12

Its a big bulky thing inside the computer , as you can tell Im as ignorant as you but at least I have seen one and disposed of it , bashed and buried 15ft underground lol
Its like think square box thing sorry not discribing very good , someone else might or google hard disk and images to see if it shows you a picture of one ;;;

Babs

oldbean

oldbean Report 11 Jul 2010 22:25

Thanks Babs, I have been chuckling to myself as I read your reply, I will have to have a go as the damned thing is taking up so much space.

oldbean x

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 11 Jul 2010 22:51

Well its like others have said once you remove the hard drive then put it on freecycle for someone to re use , good luck with the fremoval dear lol;;
when in doubt google I do lol

Babsa

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 12 Jul 2010 02:08

I don't think I understood any of this.

So how do I destroy the Hard DRive please?

Sorry if somebody has already told me, but will you tell me again?

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Jul 2010 10:51

The hard disk is in a metal box abt 1" x 4" x 5" - remove it and recycle rest of gear.
Open up hard disk box and smash inards with hammer - wear safety glasses (or sun glasses if you've not got those).

You can set updates to some setting like - check automatically but warn me if there are any. That way, if you're doing something, you can put off the "update now" to "remind me in 30 mins" or whatever.

RobG

RobG Report 12 Jul 2010 22:43

Slarti - whilst what you say may be technically correct regarding attacking the disc platter with a sander, attacking it with a hammer is probably easier for most people, and unless something thinks you have somethig extremely valuable on there (ie. things of national security or bank details for hundreds of people), they are unlikely to throw the amount of time and money it would take to recover data from a disc that has been hammered to infinity.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Jul 2010 02:15

Yeah, well sanding's fine if you can clamp it, but you can't hold a little thing like that, so as soon as the belt touches it, it's 10 yds behind you, like a back-heeled Jabulani ball.

Martin

Martin Report 13 Jul 2010 19:53

Use a hard drive erase program. This will destroy the data on your hard drive. You can then donate your old computer to a charity.

Try Active@Kill Disk from- http://download.cnet.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jul 2010 20:21

Please either Freecycle it or donate to a charity to be refurbished and passed on to someone who can make good use of it.

Landfill is the worst possible option.