Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

val1963

val1963 Report 26 Jun 2010 12:32

Hi Is anyone else having problem's with Ancestry

All i am getting is RUNTIME ERROR

does anyone no what this mean's?

Thanks
Val

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jun 2010 12:51

No problems at the moment.

Keep telling them of problems with their site and they are now getting a bit shirty with me.

val1963

val1963 Report 26 Jun 2010 13:09

Thanks Glitter Baby

I'll try it again in a few minutes if its still the same then I'll e-mail them about the problem

val

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Jun 2010 13:16

I just had that problem, Val. I shut it down and tried again. Fine now.

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Jun 2010 13:42

Have just sent them a curt e mail saying that I´m tired of being told the search facility is not available & that I don´t feel I´m getting the service I am paying for.,
As it´s Saturday, don´t expect a response before Tuesday.
Marion

val1963

val1963 Report 26 Jun 2010 14:09

Thanks for all your replys

I just tried it again and its working fine now

I thought I'd done something wrong, I'm glad to see I haven't

Thanks again
Val

Julie

Julie Report 26 Jun 2010 14:17

Oh i don't want it to be playing up...my subs run out on Monday

Norma

Norma Report 26 Jun 2010 14:44

Yes I keep getting this too

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 26 Jun 2010 14:55

Julie, when my sub ran out I didn't cancel. They couldn't renew automatically because my credit card had changed. I managed to get an extra couple of weeks out of it before the cut me off. Try it, as long as they can't renew automatically with your credit card.

Julie

Julie Report 26 Jun 2010 14:57

Margaret that has happened to me in the past too....but i rang them the other day to cancel as i can't afford it & they offered me 25% off......but still can't

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 26 Jun 2010 17:36

I got this runtime error message too when I clicked on my desktop short cut - but when I went via the internet favourites I got straight through, and later on returning to Ancestry via the desktop

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Jun 2010 21:16

Really fed up with Ancestry as I have no Home Page. Just getting "Go directly to UK Birth, Marriage and Death records"

I have informed them at least a dozen times about this problem. Just get standard reply but now they are getting shirty with me. Ancestry are now telling me to phone their technical dept - what !!. Why can they not just answer a simple question.

Got the same problem now and if I try to sign out get an error page up.

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 26 Jun 2010 22:12

Same here, glad it is not me, thought there was something wrong with my computer, then thought it was because I have been on for 12 hours (doing a Tree for my friend)
Carol

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 26 Jun 2010 22:15

I've just had this problem too! It was after an e-mail giving suggested hints, which I duly followed up - and before leaving clicked Home to see if anything had been happening with contacts and got the same "Go directly to UK..." message. So I switched off and - as before clicked my desktop shortcut and got straight through to the usual Home Page

wisechild

wisechild Report 29 Jun 2010 16:00

As expected have just recieved a standard reply from Ancestry implying that the problem is my fault & asking me what, specifically I was looking for, so that they could look up the answer for me.
Have replied that since the error occurred 4 days ago. I have no recollection what I wanted to look for, but it was irelevent as it was search that I couldn´t get into & the problem was most certainly not my fault as I was getting a message from Ancestry saying that the facility wasn´t available.
Now my home page has gone too. & oddly enough, have had no response from Ancestry to today´s e mail.
Marion

Lesley\Suzanne

Lesley\Suzanne Report 29 Jun 2010 19:26

Another one with the 'go directly to' problem. I've emailed them twice, the second time with an attachment of the screenshot.
The reply said they were unable to replicate the problem and I should clear my cache.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 29 Jun 2010 19:54

If everyone has the same problem, then the issue is with the website. If it only happens to some, and not others, then the problem is more likely to be with your PC.

The biggest single reason for web pages not loading is that your browser cache has insufficient space to load the page. Clear your temp files regularly, either manually or use a program such CCleaner, and most of these problems go away.

wisechild

wisechild Report 30 Jun 2010 07:45

Hi Inspector GP
Had the same advice from Ancestry who suggest I run the cleaner. I had only done it the day before & always run it at least once a week.
As so many of us seem to have the same problems, it would seem to me that the fault lies with the site. It hasn´t been running properly since it was down for maintenance at the beginning of the month.
Still no response to my e mail of yesterday.
Marion

sue

sue Report 30 Jun 2010 08:41

having same problem got round it by clicking on recent member activity in the drop down menu collaborate

wisechild

wisechild Report 30 Jun 2010 13:30

Still waiting for a response to my 2nd e mail of yesterday afternoon, pointing out that I couldn´t access search because they had put up a message saying it wasn´t available & suggesting that I do something else instead. Also pointed out that the homepage was missing too.
It´s back this pm.
Marion