Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newb - Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 19 Jun 2010 21:32

Im relatively new to this - think ive done quite well so far considering i've not got much information from living relatives but i was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to go about building my tree, ive got back to early 1900s/1890's but keep hitting a wall.

Also is there anyway of finding out who someones father was - im trying to find the name of my grandads father but all i have is my grandads info and his mothers name and place of birth but i dont think they were married so cant find a marriage record.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Jun 2010 21:46

Do you have your grandfather's birth cert? If he doesn't know his father, and it's not on his birth cert there's very little likelihood of you ever knowing. Unless there is a living relative who knows something.

Ozi

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 19 Jun 2010 23:49

I know the fathers surname is Cullen, the mothers name was Gladys dyer and most of her children were born in Blandford forum, Dorset (except for her first who i believe was born in Hammersmith, London) between 1939-1950 - was looking to get more information on the Cullen family but i dont know where to find the info i need from the info i've got. Thanks

jeannie

jeannie Report 20 Jun 2010 05:33

from free BMD

Marriages Jun 1937 (>99%)

Cullen Edwin W Dyer Pancras 1b 100
Dyer Gladys K Cullen Pancras 1b 100

Births Jun 1939 (>99%)
Cullen Cynthia Dyer Hammersmith 1a 390
Births Mar 1941 (>99%)
Cullen Diana Dyer Blandford 5a 703
Births Mar 1947 (>99%)
Cullen Richard J Dyer Sturminster 6a 1079
Births Mar 1948 (57%)
Cullen Maureen P B Dyer Bromsgrove 9d 55

jeannie

jeannie Report 20 Jun 2010 05:51

also from freeBMD

Births Sep 1911 (>99%)
CULLEN Edwin W Morris Marylebone 1a 1006

Marriages Dec 1899 (>99%)
CULLEN Edwin Marylebone 1a 1319
Morris Charlotte Marylebone 1a 1319

this family are in the 1911 census Minus edwin w. who was born after the census.
edwin b1876
charlotte b1878
jessie b 1900
maud b1906
sidney b1903

you will need to get first your grand fathers birth certificate this will confirm or not this family i have found
it is so easy to trace a family this way but beware. you should first get certificates to confirm that you are on the right track.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jun 2010 09:01

jeannie's 1911 find in case it proves to be yours, but as jeannie says you need to work backwards carefully and use the occasional certificate to back up your research:

CULLEN, Edwin Head Married M 35 1876 Brass Finisher St Pancras London VIEW
CULLEN, Charlotte Wife Married
11 years F 33 1878 St Marylebone London VIEW
CULLEN, Jessie Daughter F 11 1900 St Marylebone London VIEW
CULLEN, Sidney Son M 8 1903 St Marylebone London VIEW
CULLEN, Maud Daughter F 5 1906 St Marylebone London VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
579 Reference:
RG14PN579 RG78PN21 RD7 SD4 ED2 SN257

Registration District:
St Marylebone Sub District:
St John Enumeration District:
2 Parish:
St Marylebone

Address:
33 Frederick St N W County:
London

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 20 Jun 2010 22:22

Thank you so much for getting that for me - what does the (>99%) mean? its probably really obvious but i just want to be sure :)

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 Jun 2010 23:00

It means 99% of the index for that quarter has been transcribed.

Ozi

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Jun 2010 23:08

Ozi, it that what it means? I thought it meant there was a 99% chance of the record being correct.

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 20 Jun 2010 23:12

Thank you :)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Jun 2010 23:12

Edwin and Charlotte's marriage is on Ancestry LMA records. When you've verified they are your couple pop back on here and ask for a copy of the scan ... it contains the same details as on the marriage cert you would purchase from the GRO.

Edwin Cullen
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Spouse Name: Charlotte Morris
Spouse Age: 21
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 8 Oct 1899
Parish: St Stephen the Martyr, Hampstead
County: Middlesex
Borough: Camden
Father Name: Frederick Cullen
Spouse Father Name: William Morris

Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Stephen The Martyr, Hampstead, Register of marriages, P81/STE1, Item 013

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Jun 2010 23:14

This is a possible for Gladys - but - her marriage cert would verify her age etc so you need that first:

Births Dec 1914 (>99%)
DYER Gladys K Dow Pancras 1b 235 Scan available - click to view

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 20 Jun 2010 23:17

A possible for Gladys' parents?

Marriages Dec 1906 (>99%)
BUGGINS Agnes Caroline Pancras 1b 145 Scan available - click to view
Dow Alice Maud Pancras 1b 145 Scan available - click to view
Dyer Henry William K Pancras 1b 145 Scan available - click to view
GARROD William Henry Pancras 1b 145 Scan available - click to view

And again, that marriage is on Ancestry.

Henry William Kenrick Dyer
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Spouse Name: Alice Maud Dow
Spouse Age: 23
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 25 Dec 1906
Parish: St Pancras Parish Church
County: Middlesex
Borough: Camden
Father Name: William Dyer
Spouse Father Name: Frederick Henry Dow

Source Citation: London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Pancras Parish Church, Register of marriages, P90/PAN1, Item 163

But please double check everything going backwards as it is so easy to go wrong.

Come back for more info when you have a bit more evidence to hand.

Do also consider an Ancestry sub. If you have London ancestors their parish records are a must.

Jill

jeannie

jeannie Report 21 Jun 2010 05:47

luna

just an encouragement

have a look at the
freeBMD
site.
it is free to use and is a easily searchable index of the birth marriages and deaths for england and wales from 1837 to about 1945. the team of volinteers are adding more all the time. it is a great resorce.
have a play , there is a very good helpfull hint section. you have to play to get to understand it all.
if you are lucky you will come across a postem (an envelope icon) added by another searcher. click on it there may be usefull info added

this is a very useful tool. once you are sure you have the right person, you can order the certificate.

jeannie

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 23 Jun 2010 00:34

Thank you all very much for your help - it appears quite a few in the family seem to be tracing back to london!

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jun 2010 04:04

Unfortunately, FreeBMD has transcribed 0% of births in 1942q4, so you might miss this:

Name: Terence D Cullen
Mother's Maiden Surname: Dyer
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1942
Registration district: Blandford
Registration county: Wiltshire
Volume Number: 5a
Page Number: 384

You can do a free search at Ancestry - without a sub, they won't give you all the details, but you can narrow the year of rego down to 1942 - you can't get the quarter though (well, unless you hover over the view image link and notice the image ID embedded in the URL showing in your status bar, specifically:
iid=ons_b19424az-0256
and guess b19244 refers to births in 1942 quarter 4).
That Ancestry infer Blandford's in Wiltshire is a pretty good guess for Ancestry - at least they're only one county off - a guess of Durham wouldn't surprise me.

Even if FreeBMD have not transcribed the index, one can view the raw pages yourself and do your own transcription via their "view images" link on homepage:
http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 23 Jun 2010 09:37

will the stuff on free bmd be the same as whats on here? (the records i mean, the only thing i cant view is the details from the 1911 census)

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jun 2010 17:41

Essentially the same, with these provisos:
FreeBMD don't have a complete transcription.
FreeBMD and GR were transcribed by different teams, so they can disagree on how to transcribe a record - e.g., Ancestry transribes the Hammersmith Cullen as Cullon - that sort of thing.
The images are different images of the same original page - sometimes one is of slightly better quality than the other - when there are differences, one isn't universally better than the other, although FreeBMD's tend to be the poorer, even though they're perfectly adequate in the majority of cases.

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 25 Jun 2010 00:19

ah k. Thanks for being so much help :)

LunaPoppet

LunaPoppet Report 25 Jun 2010 22:56

i already have the details for Gladys' parents who were maud white and harry dyer, having a bit of trouble finding records for harry though as no idea where he was born or when exactly was told they may have married around cambridge or north london?