Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1881 Census .... on GR??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jun 2010 17:16

I got an email from GR this morning, grandly announcing many changes:-

Hello Sylvia,

We wanted to let you know about some important changes that have taken place on Genes Reunited over the last few weeks. We have added two key record sets: 1911 and 1881 census, which will make your family history search a little easier in many ways. The 1911 census is the most recent census set to be released and provides in depth details including:

• Your ancestor's names and addresses

• How long they have been married

• How many children they have had

• How many rooms there were in their house

Other records we've added include the overseas and military birth, marriage and death records. You can now discover information regarding the births, marriages and deaths of British relations that have taken place abroad since the late 18th century.

We hope that you will enjoy using these new records and that they will aid you in your family history quest.

The Genes Reunited Team

Does this mean that they expect people to PAY for the 1881 census ................ which is available FREE on several sites?

Now that could be called gouging!

I assume all the changes are because GR is now officially owned by BrightSolid, which owns FindMyPast, and that GR is accessing the records at FMP

sylvia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jun 2010 17:35

Hi Sylvia
I had the same email and did wonder if they wanted to charge for the 1881 , just decided to put it to the test and put in grt grandad who i know already from the 1881 census & YUP cheeky so & sos. want me to upgrade or buy credits to view the info. I dont think so !!! lol

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Jun 2010 17:39

That is taking the pee.........

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Jun 2010 19:39

and what is worse, on here if I search William Fishlock, neither of my two come up... I would have had to specify Wm Fishlock ....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jun 2010 19:42

so you have to know which censuses use the full name and which an abbreviation?

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Jun 2010 19:44

So where can I get free copies of the 1881 census page images?

MarkMorgan

MarkMorgan Report 2 Jun 2010 19:55

They've added the 1881 census images as only transcriptions - licenced from LDS FamilySearch - were available before. If it is anything like FMP (their owner / sister company) then the transcriptions remain free and the image costs.

The addition of the 1911 census and 1881 census images looks like one of the first moves in harmonising of their services.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Jun 2010 20:33

it has also been reported by other members that what you get on the 1911 census on here is less than you get on FMP or on the 1911 site itself

so you're paying more and getting less than on the other sites, even on its now-sister site!

sylvia

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 4 Jun 2010 21:24

Hi SylviainCanada I have upgraded to Platinum to access the 1911 Census but can't access Channel Islands 1911 census. Most of my research is done in the Channel Islands. Have reported it to the support group, they say that the Channel Island census is on there but it isn't. I feel thoroughly fed up, I have emailed them 4 times today, the last two they haven't even bothered to reply.

There is no telephone number to contact them, so what am I supposed to do? I can't afford to waste money. I wish I'd never bothered. From a very frustrated GR member.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jun 2010 21:31

I don't know

They don't provide a phone number

I guess all you can do is keep sending them emails!

The Channel Islands censuses are on www.fmpbsol.1911census.co.uk/

even paying per credit would be cheaper, and easier, than GR

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 4 Jun 2010 21:33

At the end of the new terms and conditions, there is an address -
You can contact us by post at Genes Reunited, 38-41 Fourth Floor, 199 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3TY.

Doesn't seem to be a telephone number though.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Jun 2010 05:18

For Cheryl-my geography isn't up to par,but wouldn't this count??
From GR:(1911)
De Carteret Peter 1908 St Peter Port Guernsey Guernsey

Maureen

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 5 Jun 2010 08:15

Hi MaureeninNY. I have just put all the details that you gave me put them into the 1911 census and nothing at all. I don't understand it. I gave GR Walter De Carteret age 24 yrs St Peters Guernsey I already have this on the 1911 census from FMP. But they couldn't find it, came up with other De Carteret names. They are insisting they have the Channel Islands records on there, but they haven't. Actually told me of another link to go on after Ive paid my money to research it on here!!

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 5 Jun 2010 08:22

Hi SylviainCanada. Thanks for your reply its too late now I've already paid up and thoroughly fed up!! I just wish they had mentioned they did not have the Channel Islands census and then I wouldn't have bothered. The most annoying thing is that you cannot contact them, I would rather speak to someone rather than keep emailing. As I said the last two emails they haven't bothered to reply.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 Jun 2010 09:02

Hi Cheryl,

They must have records for Channel Islands because if you put in the surname Carteret you get these results.

Carteret Emilie De 1888 St Saviours Guernsey Guernsey View View
Carteret Annie 1879 St Helier Jersey Jersey View View
Carteret Alfred De 1877 Channel Isles Sark Birkenhead View View
Carteret Ada De 1873 Guernsey St Saviours Guernsey View View
Carteret Robert De 1869 Great Sark Sark View View
Carteret John W Dc 1866 Jersey St Helier Jersey View View
Carteret Henry C A 1865 St Helier Jersey Jersey View View
Carteret Augustin Dc 1865 Jersey St Saviour Jersey View View
Carteret Thomas R 1839 Sark Sark View View

The name is probably mistranscribed but it's not as easy to search as you can't search without using a surname, whereas you can on fmp.

Christine

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 5 Jun 2010 09:47

Hooraah thanks ChristineinPortugal I see what they have done my maiden name is De Carteret, and in all the census I have done it has always been spelt that way I should think its obvious its French. But I have just put Carteret in and they came up, they have put the De in front of their first name. I can't beleive it the last two days I have been emailing GR and both of us didn't twig. You should work for them.

Thank you from CherylinPortugal !!! where do you live? I live in the Algarve.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 Jun 2010 09:59

Hi Cheryl,

I'm a long way from you, near Porto but coming to the Algarve next Friday for a few days.

I've tried a few different surnames for your Walter but no luck, if you could search using just Christian name and area you would probably find him.

I'll keep trying for you.

Christine

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 5 Jun 2010 10:42

I spoke too soon, they have hardly any De Carterets at all, mostly the ones that you found. And I know for a fact there are hundreds possibly thousands of De Carterets living in the Channel Islands at that time. I have Walter from FMP on the 1911 census. So its obvious they haven't completed it.

I just wish they had told me that before I had paid up. Thanks Christine.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jun 2010 22:33

Cheryl

it could also be mis-transcription or wrong spelling

can you search on GR using the wild cards ? or *

sylvia

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 6 Jun 2010 08:09

Sylvia,

It doesn't appear that you can use * or wild cards, that's why it's so much more difficult to search. You have to enter a full surname.

I don't subscribe but you can still do a search.

Christine