Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

a Hughes marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ivy

ivy Report 8 May 2010 17:07

I am trying to find the marriage of my maternal great-grandparents. In Liverpool between a William Hughes b.1844, born in Liverpool and a Catherine Johnson b.1841, born in Ireland. Their first child was born in 1864 and named William I'Anson. I have found them in the census returns from 1871 but am stuck now, can anyone help, please?
Ivy

Irene

Irene Report 8 May 2010 17:29

Birth of William Lanson Hughes registered at West Derby 1864.
There is a marriage of William Hughes to Catherine Jones at West Derby 1864 do you think your Catherine Johnson could have been married before. Irene

Choccy

Choccy Report 8 May 2010 17:29

Births Mar 1864 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUGHES William Ianson West Derby 8b 445

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 May 2010 17:33

is this them cant see where the L,ansom comes in tho?
1871 census
Name: Catherine Hughes
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: William
Where born: Ireland
Civil parish: Toxteth Park
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mathew
Town: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Toxteth Park
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 188
Household Members: Name Age
William Hughes 27
Catherine Hughes 31
Lucy Hughes 6
William J Hughes 3
Evan R Hughes 2
Mary J Hughes 4 months

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3795; Folio: 50; Page: 36; GSU roll: 841901.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 8 May 2010 17:34

theres a bit of an age difference so maybe she didnt marry ?

1871 England Census about William J Hughes
Name: William J Hughes
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Catherine
Where born: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Toxteth Park
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mathew
Town: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Toxteth Park
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 188
Household Members:
Name Age
William Hughes 27
Catherine Hughes 31
Lucy Hughes 6
William J Hughes 3
Evan R Hughes 2
Mary J Hughes 4 months
View
Original
Record

View original image

Irene

Irene Report 8 May 2010 17:51

There is also a William Hughes/Catherine Hughes living Liverpool with their son William and daughter Sarah Ann born 1867 and they are in the same house as Robert Hadfield/Ann Hadfield.
They may be the right family ???? Irene

ivy

ivy Report 10 May 2010 10:41

Hello Everyone who has replied to my original request. The William I'Anson birth has been found and was only added as an aid in pin-pointing the possible years of the marriage of his parents.
I have already come across the Hughes/Jones marriage, in 1864, and that is to be checked out, when I visit Liverpool, in August.
I am holding the thought that they may not have married at all/or later on, in my mind.
Yes, that is the family in the 1971 census.
I thank everyone involved and if I should be able to draw a line under this particular bit of my history, I shall let you all know!
Best Wishes,
Ivy

ivy

ivy Report 15 May 2010 10:20

I am still searching for the marriage between William Hughes and Catherine Johnson and went onto the excellent site of freeBMD.co.uk to look through the marriages; when I clicked on the William Hughes entry for June 1860, West Derby 8b 578 there is only one entry, (as opposed to four or six,) and this is for a William Hughes. Is it possible to find the other three/five entries? If the originals were illegible, would this not have been typed in here?
Any suggestions, please?
Ivy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2010 10:45

probably the others have mistranscribed page nos if the pages were difficult to read

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2010 10:52

trawled through the West Derby marriages for that qtr and there's no Catherine Johnson listed

Choccy

Choccy Report 15 May 2010 11:00

the nearest I can get is -

Marriages Mar 1864 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bodi[e_] Christopher W Derby 8b 664
*****Hughes William W. Derby 8b 664
*****Jones Catherine W. Derby 8b 664
Roy Eliza W. Derby 8b 664

ivy

ivy Report 15 May 2010 11:33

Thanks a lot for your efforts;
Choccy, I have that entry at the top of my list for when I go to Liverpool Library, but not until August;
Shirley, there is also a possibility that pages could have been missed, as I have found on one of my other lines of enquiry, and I have already trawled thro' the Genealogist's marriages from before it was legally possible for them to marry, until long after her child-bearing years, without success!
Ivy

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 15 May 2010 14:08

I would guess that W Derby marriage in 1860 page 578 should be p 587 (also listed) and he married Sarah Greetham (from lancsbmd)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 15 May 2010 16:35

I have just looked on the Lancashire OPC'S and there is no marriage for William Hughes to a Catherine Johnson. from 1840 to 1880.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/cgi-bin/mkindx.cgi?parish=Leigh&type=Parish&community=

ivy

ivy Report 15 May 2010 19:35

Hello, lancashireAnn/Sue in Leeds, William definitely married/lived with Catherine Johnson, as is shown on their childrens' birth certificates.
Thanks for your input.
I'm thinking of offering to do transcripting on the freeBMD site, maybe on the marriages inc. 1860!!! That year appears to unfinished.
Thanks for trying,
Ivy

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 15 May 2010 23:49

if Catherine was Irish - could she have been married in Ireland?

the more freebmd transcribers there are the better. It is easy - you are attached to a team with a co-ordinator who allocates the batches.

All marriages (apart from one qtr of 1887) up to 1920 have been fully transcribed, though not all have been verified. the way to tell if something has been verified is that the names appear in bold type.

the 1860 june qtr in general has not been verified. I have checked the image for William Hughes West Derby and there are 2 entries, p578 & 587. It is possible that the missing female has been mistranscribed. the other explanation is that when the original indices were created the clerk put the entry in twice, transposing the last 2 figures.

ivy

ivy Report 27 Jun 2010 10:19

The only reasonable year to start searching the Genealogy BMD site was 1859 and I went right through, until well past Catherine's child-bearing years, without a result. Then, I went back further still, and discovered that in 1853 there was a William Hughes shown in the 1st qtr. married in Liverpool ref. no. 8b 87; in 1853 there was a Catherine Johnson shown in the 4th qtr. married in Liverpool, ref. no. 8b 87. I am asking myself, is it possible that the transcriber mistakenly typed in 1853, instead of 1863???
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
Ivy

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Jun 2010 07:38

it is impossible to mistype the year in freebmd as batches are set up for a particular year and quarter. The year is not typed on each entry. If the header had been typed wrong every entry in that batch would be wrong.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Jun 2010 08:02

just been reading through all this again and I see you are thinking of going to Liverpool in August. You may not be aware that Liverpool record office is at present closed so it would be worth checking just before you go where records have been made available.

ivy

ivy Report 28 Jun 2010 11:10

Thanks a lot, lancashireAnn, it will save time if I know beforehand where to look.
Ivy