Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Age not stated at marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 09:25

I have a marriage certificate dated 1862 and there is some writing where the age should be of the people marrying. I cannot make out what it says. Does anyone know or has anyone seen anything like this? Does anyone have any idea why a age would not be given at marriage? It does appear that the people involved were not able to write as a cross is given as their mark, could this mean they do not know when they were born!!!!!!??????

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 09:28

It couldn't say "of full age" by any chance?
Jan

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 09:32

it could be just the word full, would that mean age 21? or 21 years and above as both parties have this stated and one of them should be older according to census. Was hoping to establish age a bit more as the surname is Hooley and the area I am looking is full of the surname Hooley, need to establish the right person and his age for parentage.

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 09:35

just looked again brummiejan (you from b'ham by chance?) i think it does say the word full

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 09:46

The age won't really help you much it seems. I believe it would mean 21 or over. Have you considered all the other clues - father obviously, plus witnesses?
If you want to put all you have on here I'm sure we can try to help out.
Jan
PS yes. I'm from Brum, how did you guess?!!

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 10:16

Hello brummiejan, we practically next door - i am from dreaded derbyshire area - no-one likes derbyshire record searching, heard lots of moans. My man is Samuel Hooley marrying Eliza Bates (Samuel should be 1832 born to John Hooley (trouble is John may have married 3 women - possibly Sarah Trowell (who i think is Samuels mother but not sure) and two Mary's who everyone has a different opionion of maiden names.Looking in the Draycott area of Derbyshire. Think I may have to visit Matlock records office for a day out. Lots of info on IGI but it varies on opinion as to parentage, would prefer to get it right as Samuel is my Great Grandfather and I would feel terrible if i got it wrong. The Draycott area is teeming with Hooley and Bates lines.
The writing is terrible on the witnesses all I can make out is the surnames for both as Stevenson. As yet I have not come across any Stevenson names (usually help as they can be related i Know) Samuel and Eliza married april 19th 1862 at St Peters Derby.
Eliza's father is John Bates and i believe he will originate from Ireland, or at least that is what the family seem to think.

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 10:22

Hello Joan
I have seen some census searches where porkies are told also.
I thought one of my relations was doing the same thing to cover for the birth of a child before wedlock, til I found another marriage with an older woman who happened to have the same first name as his first wife.
Feel like I am Watson to Sherlock sometimes.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 10:46

Would you belieive it - Derek's Derbyshire thread has just been nudged to the top of the Records Office board! It might be worth asking him to have a look for you.
jan

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 17:39

This is the thread you want, Dorothy. Go to the address bar at the top and alter the number to 1091204, or open a new window and copy and past this lot:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1091204

Derek is a genius on Derbyshire (and other) records and he lives in a tent in the car park outside Matlock Records office.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 17:41

Oh, Dorothy's already found Derek.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 17:57

I looked up Stevensons in Draycott in 1861 of appropriate age to be witnesses and there are four that seem likely - Edward, Harriet, Alexander and Jane.

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 18:05

Thanks for all your help everyone
just had magnifyer on witnesses and one of them is Edward Stevenson - the other Emma Stevenson. Wish they had had good biro's in those days!!
Think I might have seen Derek in his tent you know.
Will take a flask of tea or something next time i visit Derek if you provide the mugs.!!! only joking ( i tend to frequent coffee bars and pubs mostly)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 18:52

I think Derek would prefer a flask of something rather stronger than tea.

I was wrong, there is an Edward age 50 with wife Emma age 30 on the 1861 census a few pages earlier than John Hooley.

EDIT I'm from Derbyshire too.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 19:14

Dorothy, I forgot Derek has a broken ankle so he's taken a temporary holiday from the tent.

Various trees on Ancestry have various parents for Samuel. Best looks like John married Mary Statham first, who died in 1829, then Sarah Trowell who died in 1834, then Mary Jowett. Other trees have his parents as John/Samuel Hooley and Mary White. Best of luck!

dotski

dotski Report 3 Apr 2010 20:10

Hello all
found the Stevensons and apart from being close at hand and near another line of Bates, cannot see any relationship other than perhaps friendship. Got me searching the Bates line seeing them and ended up with a right bit of bother now: my Dad used to say that a Grandparent possibly a John was born coming back from India (he thought) just looked on IGI and the John Bates father of Eliza (stated from foreign parts on census) could be a John Bates from Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu in India. Need a strong drink to say that one. Still no hard evidence on that one, just family tales - maybe Derek would lend me his tent to keep the cost down of a India holiday???
Derek have a speedy recovery - did you trip on the tent line?
Hello Madmeg from Derbyshire - got to say I can be a bit mad myself, is it something to do with the water?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 20:19

I have a friend from Derbyshire who is responsible for telling me this:

"Derbyshire men born and bred
Strong in the arm, thick in the head!".

Mind you, we can't talk - have you heard of the Brummie screwdriver?

Jan

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 20:39

I'm afraid people from the Birmingham area of the country tend to get things a little wrong. The rhyme is:

Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred.
Strong in'th arm and 'wick in'th ed.

Wick, of course, meaning quick.

Not sure Derek is reading this, will give him a shout. Might give him a chuckle while he's nursing his malt (oops, sorry, transcription error - ankle I meant)!.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 20:43

Well, I have it from a Derbyshire woman - maybe says more about her view of men than Derbyshire!
Don't think I didn't see that little dig you cheeky madam.
jan

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Apr 2010 20:51

Oh, Derbyshire men, well that might be different. I have to be careful here, cos I can't remember where Derek is from, it might be Staffs, so I'm safe, but if not - well, there are always a few exceptions to the rule.

Our two lots of best friends are Brummies, they're fairly okay.

Ouch, I felt that in advance!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Apr 2010 20:53

Praise indeed!! I have just one thing to say - Ozzy for Prime Minister.