Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BT Yahoo Browser Bookmarks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverley

Beverley Report 3 Mar 2010 19:43

Has anybody else lost their bookmarks from the BT Yahoo browser and how do I get them back. Could this be because I haven't upgraded to IE8? I'm devestated because I had loads of links from the tips board waiting to be investigated and they have all gone.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Mar 2010 19:56

Lost mine as well a couple of days ago and not got them back

Been trying to work out which version of IE I have got

Maureen

Netty

Netty Report 3 Mar 2010 20:04

Hi, Googled and from what i can gather you can find your Bookmarks if you sign in here, not sure if it will work for you, but worth a try -

http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/

Beverley

Beverley Report 3 Mar 2010 21:14

Thanks for your help Netty. Apparently Yahoo have closed the service down (without telling anyone apparently). The link you provided to me to my bookmarks (hurrah!!) but I couldn't do anything with them. One option kept signing me out, the other just saved the bookmarks on my PC. At least I have them so thanks for that. Hopefully Yahoo will sort it out at some point.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 3 Mar 2010 23:27

Lost mine a couple of days ago as well......I updated to IE8 today, in a hope that they`d return......whats really annoying is that you can`t start them up again as the "add" facility won`t work either.......

Glad its not just me though....... lets hope BT yahoo get it sorted quickly...

Nicky

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Mar 2010 18:23

I did send an email to BT and asked about this problem. Got the usual automated response.

But this afternoon they called me. They do have an "outrage" problem - no idea what that actually means. Did make the point there were other people with the same problem.

The very lovely Indian gentleman took control of my pc and did a couple of things in Internet Explorer and in BT and I now have my bookmarks back. Not in the original place but on a separate icon called Bookmarks. When I click to open it - it then opens as a tab on the browser window.

Still would like the bookmarks where I am used to them but this works quite well.

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Mar 2010 18:57

Well, I can understand what an 'outrage' problem is. I've now spent two evenings trying to get somewhere with it and am failing miserably. To use my bookmarks I have to browse my PC, find the file, click on the bookmark then go through the whole thing again when I want to change sites. The link Netty provided worked to a point but I couldn't register with Delicious because it just signed me out of Yahoo every time. II could be doing something far more useful with my time.

I'm hoping your phone call was from BT Glitter Baby and not one of these scams we keep hearing about. As long as you didn't give him credit card or bank details it should be OK.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Mar 2010 19:01

Beverley

Sorry to hear you are still not sorted on this problem.

Yes he was a BT man from their help desk. Certainly did not make any request for payment of any sort. He knew I had sent the email etc so I was happy to talk to him.

Maureen

Beverley

Beverley Report 4 Mar 2010 19:03

I'm pleased to hear that Glitter Baby. You can't be too careful these days and I would hate anyone to be scammed.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 Mar 2010 23:12

This "taking over your PC" by Technicians is common practice via the Broadband helpline at BT...they have done it for me a couple of times in the past with various different PC problems....cetainly is no Scam and is all part of the service with BT....

Now i know that they can restore my Bookmarks I will get in touch with them myself and hopefully get mine sorted...........

Nicky

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Mar 2010 23:39

Nicky,

I could not fault the service this time from BT. At least this gentleman spoke quite good English which is not always the case.

Maureen

Beverley

Beverley Report 6 Mar 2010 08:23

Nicky

It wasn't so much the 'taking over the PC' that bothered me - more the fact they had phoned Glitter Baby. There is a scam about at the moment where a 'technician' phones you to say there is a fault on your PC, tells you what to do to fix it which then opens up any bank account and credit card details available to them so they can wipe your accounts. Pleased to hear Glitter Baby's was genuine as most things are but you still have to be careful.

I have now sorted out my bookmarks by changing my browser to IE8. It will be tedious because I have to save them all one by one unless anyone can tell me how to transfer them in one go. There doesn't seem to be that option.

Beverley

Beverley Report 6 Mar 2010 08:32

I have now figured out how to import my favourites so it's all sorted now. At last!!

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Mar 2010 15:15

I also have had problems with bookmark since last Saturday and I checked on the BT page to see if there were any problems in the area and it stated they were aware of people having problems and they were trying to fix it. Just logged on now and hey presto it is now back in working order after spending nearly all week trying to put them on IE8 but found it so confusing and tedious that I gave up.

Barbara

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 6 Mar 2010 22:41

Beverley... yes your right we must all be careful of scams..there seem to be so many.......

Havn`t had time yet to phone BT to get my bookmarks sorted, glad some of you have manged to sort it yourselves...I`ve already updated to IE8 but it didn`t make any difference...

Nicky

Beverley

Beverley Report 7 Mar 2010 10:26

Hi Nicky

If you have your bookmarks saved to your hard drive, click on File, then Import and Export. Select Import from a file, select favourites and find your file on your hard drive. IE8 will do the rest. Hope this helps

Beverley

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 7 Mar 2010 11:17

Thanks Beverley...tried that but it said

"an error occured while uploading IE favourites"...........................So still not got them..

Nicky

Beverley

Beverley Report 7 Mar 2010 19:08

Nicky

Diid you have your bookmarks saved to your hard drive? If not, use the link from Netty on the first page.

Beverley

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 8 Mar 2010 22:49

Hi Beverley ..after much fiddling around, uninstalling my BT yahoo browser, and logging in through Internet Explorer rather than BT broadband, I have now finally managed to get all my bookmarks in to Favorites on the IE page...had to move them over one by one but its all done now....

Thanks for your help

Nicky

Beverley

Beverley Report 9 Mar 2010 05:49

Hi Nicky

I'm pleased to hear you've sorted it out. It makes for less frustrating surfing.

Beverley