Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copy of own tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ivor

Ivor Report 3 Mar 2010 17:15

Hi
How do I get a copy of my tree off of GRU?
What is Gedcon?
Need to get paper copy? how?

Help gratefully recieved,
Ivor

Sidami

Sidami Report 3 Mar 2010 18:30

Ivor, is this the only place that you have your tree on?
If it is I would strongly advise you to also put it on a programme if this site goes down you have nothing to show for all your hard wok.
You can download a free programme from family search site.
Sue

Ivor

Ivor Report 4 Mar 2010 10:30

Sue
Yes,all my research is on gru,which is why I have become concerned that I do not have a copy.

I am not aware of family search site,but will have a look.

Thankyou

Ivor

SnowyJen

SnowyJen Report 4 Mar 2010 12:45

Hi Ivor

the free software from LDS Family Search is:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/paf/pafonline.asp

A good Freewaree program for organising your family tree is available at:
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

I have used the freeware standard edition for years, and it does everything i need it to.

after downloading Legacy software:

On Genes Reunited on the Family tree tab click on Gedcoms
Scroll down and click export gedcom (save to and easy to remember location on your hard drive)

Open Legacy software, on file tab select import from gedcom.
Then save tree as a legacy file.

Ivor

Ivor Report 4 Mar 2010 15:51

Snowy/Jen

Thanks for that,Have downloaded Legacy,however it has only picked up part of my tree,.50% about 260 people is this normal?

Ivor

Ivor

Ivor Report 4 Mar 2010 16:00

Snowy/Jen
Have re-run it, and it has picked up all 586 peple.

Thank you ever so much.

Ivor

SnowyJen

SnowyJen Report 4 Mar 2010 16:41

You're very welcome Ivor
I am pleased it worked for you :)

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 4 Mar 2010 20:06

Your tree stays just the same on here after exporting your gedcom.

Christine

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 4 Mar 2010 23:43

Hi SnowyJen, I too required info on how to get a GEDcom from GR to Legacy and happened to see your instructions to Ivor. I've now done the same but got a list of errors (I did it twice as Ivor did but the second time I still got a list of errors). But I didn't understand the error list and now can't get access to it again. How do I display my whole tree in Legacy so that I can see the missing bits? This Legacy is going to take some getting used to! I watched the "training video" and it all seemed so much easier!
Thanks for any help.

Ivor

Ivor Report 5 Mar 2010 00:46

Silverbirch

I got the error list as well,so I removed the legacy download,removed the Gedcom,went back into my GRU tree,put right the errors,and started the process again
It did work

Ivor

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 5 Mar 2010 14:53

Hi Ivor

Thanks for your help. How do I know what the errors are on my GRU tree to put right though? The error list only came up on import (now I can't access it) and even then I didn't really understand what the errors meant!

Thanks again!

Kerri

Kerri Report 6 Mar 2010 04:35

Sometimes an error comes up for lots of reasons including-
person marrying before birth date
person having children before birth date
person dying & then marrying
same person entered twice,marrying same person but with different parents entered on each entry
etc etc

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Mar 2010 06:52

Why not run the import again and make a note of the errors. If you aren't sure how to correct them, then put some details on here and someone is bound to help.

Ivor

Ivor Report 6 Mar 2010 17:20

InspectorGreenPen

Well Put

This is what I did.

Ivor

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 8 Mar 2010 12:41

OK, thanks very much. I'll run it again and make a note of the errors this time. Will no doubt be back here if I get stuck!
Cheers!

Silverbirch

Silverbirch Report 9 Mar 2010 22:37

Hi there, I re-ran the Gedcom and got a list of errors again. They are all to do with "unrecognised date format". What should the format be in GR for it to recognise it? The only ones it has recognised seem to be the ones where I don't have the date of birth but have just filled in the year. Where I do actually have the dob how should it be entered? As you know, it has a field for the year and then another field. In this second field should I just put the date with no year (e.g. 26 Jan) or repeat the year e.g. 26/01/1907 and in what format?
Many thanks for your help.
Regards

SnowyJen

SnowyJen Report 11 Mar 2010 00:34

If your having problems with Legacy see their Help center: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/helpGEDCOM.asp

or you could try other free software that allows import of Gedcom files:

My Heritage: Download from:
http://www.myheritage.com/download-family-tree-builder

Personal Ancestral File 5.2 Download from:
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=14000&langId=-1&cg1=13669&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Mar 2010 06:06

26/01/1907, should be fine - that's how mine look

Sandra

Sandra Report 6 Apr 2010 10:23

I have downloaded it and it says "The publisher could not be verified, are you sure you want to run this Software" ?

KD

KD Report 6 Apr 2010 16:49

HI all, Thanks for the info! I Have followed your advice and used the 'Leagacy' free software,
Can i ask tho, Does everything i put on automatically go onto the internet, and if so how can i stop that?
I've noticed that there's a privacy setting per person, Just wondered if i could do it in general.
Thanks
Kim