Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AAAAHHHH...So Sloooooooow!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 10:32

Please someone..before I go mad. Tell me how to speed up GR's tree software?

This stie has become so slow to load...I am thinking of leaving..its sucks!"....

It has taken 3 HOURS to add 1 person to my tree....3 VERY FRUSTRATING HOURS!!!

Even this post is taking its sweet time to load......AAAHHHHHHH!!!!

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 10:33

Ever since the upgrade....this site has sucked BIG time!

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Jan 2010 11:34

Although Genes is not perfect.it sounds more likely to be your puter.
Can you try on another puter?

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 11 Jan 2010 11:43

I am assuming you have deleted all your temporary files and browsing history, if not this does slow down things

George

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 12:19

Thank you Gala..for your support.....

Im running on a pretty fresh install of XP...only about 2weeks ago.
I have anit virus ..and all the other types of defences installed...no bugs.

Duel Core with 3Gigs or ram......and this is one of the worst sites for lag I have ever come across in my 11years online.....

Ever since the update .which changed pretty much most things here..its sucked.

The tree software continually crashies.....IF!!!....its runs at all. ..

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jan 2010 12:52

Just tried my tree and it is working fine. It is over 10k names and it has just loaded in under 15 seconds.

It isn't your processor or memory size that is the main issue. It is the amount of free space within your browser, or rather lack of it that is causing your problems.

I find that as long as I keep my PC clear of old browsing history and regularly delete temp files it works fine. I use CCleaner once a day for this. Granted, GR is not the fastest of sites but it does work as long as you keep your PC free of clutter.

You might also try increasing the amount of space your browser uses for temp files as the defaults can rather on the low side.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 13:24

Thank you for your sugestions InspectorGreenPen

But I already do those things...and the amonut of memory used for temp files is set to the max.

I much prefered the old look and site...thing is you can't stop these idiots messing with things...

"if it aint broke...don't fix it"....but they never learn

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 15:59

Cheers Jonesey!

Should be a 5meg connection.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jan 2010 16:35

I can't see that the issue is of GR's making, otherwise everyone would be experiencing the same problems, which clearly they are not. I have been looking a several trees this afternoon without any issues as far as I can tell. Load time has been around 10-15 seconds.

Can you just confirm....

1. What internet speed you are actually getting, as opposed to what you should be getting?
2. How much memory do you have allocated for your internet files?
3. Which browser and version are you using?
4. Which version of Adobe Flash Player do you have installed. I believe the current version should be 10.xxx?

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 16:41

1. During my last test, I have the fastest speed in my area..compared to those who have taken the test..dont recall the exact speed ..but it was good.
2.1024meg....which is the max.
3. IE8..with updates
4. Flash Player 11...so

Its the the site......the tree software continually crashes..won't load...when it does..i go back 2 gens..and it locks up ..

It was fine before the changes.......but since the change its sucked.

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 16:44

I guess the site just sucks....period....and my subs have just been payed...Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Got to look for a better place...

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jan 2010 18:45

There is something somewhere within your set-up which is preventing GR's pages from loading fully.

The next thing to check is whether or not your browser security settings are set too restrictively, especially if you have made changes from the defaults, or perhaps it is something to do with other security software you have installed.

I recall recently someone with a similar problem was advised by GR to change some of their browser security settings and that did the trick for them.

Good luck

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 11 Jan 2010 22:16

Ta!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2010 01:16

I agree with IGP

.................. it has to be something to do with your own set-up

If it was a GR problem, then everyone would have the same trouble, and would be screaming blue bl**dy murder

But it is apparent that only some people have this problem.

Have you done a disc cleanup recently?

sylvia

Wend

Wend Report 12 Jan 2010 23:29

Help - I'm a silver technophobe! Please could you tell me how to get rid of old browsing history - I've looked at mine and there's loads, but no delete tab. Also, what are temporary files and how do I increase the amount of space my browser uses for them (whatever they are)? Also, what's a C Cleaner? Any advice welcome, thanks.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Jan 2010 10:15

To clear your internet temp files and browsing history proceed as follows. Instructions are for IE8 but similar process applies for other browsers / versions.

* Click on Tools then select Internet Options
* Select the General Tab (if not already displayed)
* In the centre of the dialogue box under browsing history, click on delete and follow the prompts.

You may choose not to delete cookies at this stage as this could cause you to loose some of your preferences for you favourite sites. See below under CCleaner how to preserve these selectively.

To increase the amount of space allocated for intenet files

* on the same dialogue page, click the settings button immediately to the right of the delete button you have just used. A new dialogue box will open. Increase the amount of space you have allocated using the box displayed.

CCLeaner is a free program which simplifies the process of clearing out unwanted files and debris which can clutter up your PC. You can download it from here

http://www.filehippo.com/

You will find it under 'Most Popular downloads'

One of its features is to preserve cookies for sites that you use regularly. To make use of this, and before running the cleaner, click on Options then select Cookies. By clicking on the left right arrows, move the sites that you trust and use regularly, i.e. GR, Ancestry, your Bank, etc etc to the Cookies to Keep list on the right. Any that remain on the left will be deleted next time you run the cleaner.

You only need to do this a couple of times to make sure the list is up to date, or if you find new sites for which you want to preserve favourites.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 13 Jan 2010 12:02

I've checked and my site is running normally, updating quickly. I had had no hot matches for 3 weeks, then they arrived about a week ago, GR did explain they were running a bit behind with them.

Wend

Wend Report 13 Jan 2010 14:00

Thankyou InspectorGreenPen for helpful advice - I'll give it a go. I assume temporary files are the one-off websites I've visited.