Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The 1900 US census is a goldmine.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 3 Jan 2010 19:48

Hi

Thanks to the 1900 US census I managed to prove the emigration of my 3xgreat grandfather Thomas Musgrave. After his wife died in December 1885 he and his youngest daughter emigrated to the USA and he joined his oldest daughter out there while he still had a married son and daughter in England.

As the 1900 census gives month and year of birth the year and month of birth for Thomas tallied and for his daughter Elizabeth. December 1827 and April 1852. Plus other info tallies. I had always hoped for a direct ancestor who emigrated and now I have one. That explains why I tried but failed to find a death in England after cross referencing many deaths.

I now need to find his death after 1900 in Pennsylvania. Thanks to this I am now researching on the US side of the Atlantic and I want to find out more about my 3xgreat grandfather in his later years in America.

Its good that I have proven beyond doubt that my ancestor Thomas Musgrave emigrated. The 1900 US census is probably one of the best of the 10 yearly censuses since 1790.

Ben