Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

summer

summer Report 24 Nov 2009 23:00

Can someone please advise me how to go about getting a death certificate for someone as I dont know the date of death , I know he was born 1841 in Ireland and I think he may have came to Scotland as his wife died in Scotland. I am hoping the death certificate will give me both parents names so I can confirm them. I would really appreciate some guidance on this please.

Thank you

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Nov 2009 23:43

Summer if you post what you know about him ie full name wife name and date of death then I will have a look on Scotlands People for you

Jackie

summer

summer Report 24 Nov 2009 23:54

Oh thank you so much Jackie.
It is William Morgan dob 1841 , he was married to margaret whos maiden name was quinn , her dob is 8/5/1843. They married in 1863. Margaret died in Kilwinning Ayrshire.
This is so kind of you.

Thank you

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 00:08

Margarets death cert shows Margaret Morgan married to William Morgan Gardener died 14 Jan 1895 age 51 father Mark Quin labourer dec mother Margaret Quin m/s Killops the death was registered by William there is an Register of Corrected Entries
death took place in an Ironworks
it says Margaret morgan age 49 years female died 1895 Jan 14th about 3.30pm at Byrehill Rd Kilwinning cause of death Injuries sustained by being accidentally crushed between two wagons on the ?Branch of the Glasgow and Siouth Western Railway Kilwinning on the afternon of her death.

William was obv still alive so I will have a look now for his death

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 00:40

Have found William in 1901 staying at 40 Byrehill Rd Kilwinning
age stated as 65 occ retired gardener he is with son Samuel 14 trapper in the pit born
Kilwinning Ayr and daughter Mary 12 scholar born Kilwinning Ayr but I cannot see a death for him

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 00:57

Hi Summer

According to his sons marriage in 1908 he was still alive and I still have not managed to find a death for him is there any chance he may have returned to Ireland. there are deaths for William Morgans that woulbdbe the right age for the year of death but they all have different spouses names and I cannot see him remarrying either

Jackie

summer

summer Report 25 Nov 2009 01:33

You have done really great Jackie but I am not sure if he would have went back to Ireland, it is a possablity but I really dont know how to find out. I know that at least some of his children william joseph morgan stayed in Kilwinning and then my great grandpa also. What do you think is the best way to find this, he could I suppose even have went to England if any of his family were there but I dont know if they were.
the names mark quinn and killops all make sense.
You are a star and a late worker LOL
Thank you

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Nov 2009 06:13

His m.cert would also give the names of both of his parents (and both of hers).

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 09:18

Summer
Do you have an idea what his parents names were and I will go back over the deaths that I checked. There is a chance that he may have remarried after the 1901 census but William Morgan is such a popular name that there are loads of them coming up. Did he have any brothers or sisters over here that may have got married in Scoltand?

Jackie

summer

summer Report 25 Nov 2009 11:05

Hi Jackie
I do apologise putting you to all this trouble. His father is John Morgan dob 1819 born in downpatrick Ireland, his mother is what I was hoping the death certificate would tell me but it could possibly be Ellen. They married in ireland in 1840. This is where I am stuck as I have no more links to take this line any further back which is what I really want to do. I dont know who the brothers or sisters are unfortunately.
However someone else has let me view there tree and this is weird because it says on the tree that the date of death is ABT1904 in ayrshire but you thought he was alive at his sons wedding. It also says he was not divorced . I dont know if this means anything but it says from ancestory new cummnock and pyright (c) 1999, 2002 familysearch (tM) internet.
Does any of this help at all, fingers crossed.

Thank you

Just saw something in my scribbled notes , Jane Morgan who was a witness at the marriage of william and margaret , could this be a sister of william ?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 12:00

HI Summer

i will go back and have a wee look over the deaths that I viewed. the reason I say he is alive at his sons wedding as normally on Scottish Certs it would have dec and it does with his mum

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 12:17

I have found this

There is a death for a William Morgan in Ayr on 23 September 1906 however it says widow of Christine Brown and I cannot find a marriage between his wifes death and this one for him.

parents are noted as John Morgan coal miner dec and Jane Morgan m/s Briton dec

the death occured in a hotel in Ayr and was registered by a seargant of the Burgh Police
there is a RCE regarding the death and it states
William Morgan 68 years male of no fixed residence died between
9pm on 22 and 1am on 23 Sep 1906 at the Trades
Hotel York St Ayr. death was noted as natural causes

it may be worth keeping a hold of the details as the fathers name is a match and you said a Jane Morgan witnesses his marriage could have been his mum . He may not have been married to this woman Christine but if he was living "rough" she may have just been staying with him so it was assumed. Will see what else I can find

The Trades Hotel was a hostel

Jackie

summer

summer Report 25 Nov 2009 16:47

Thanks Jackie, I shall keep a hold of that but I haven't heard of the name Chrisine Brown. My gut instinct tells me this is not him but I could be wrong. I wonder why this cert is so difficult to find , is this common not to be able to get a death cert for that period of time do you think ?
I keep going through all I have trying to find something that I have missed.

Thanks a milllion

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 20:16

Hi Summer

It was compulsory to register deaths at that time I tried looking for a death using his date of birth +/- a few years but still nothing I keep coming back to the one I have posted. You could try contacting-
The Scottish & Local History Library
Carnegie Library
12 Main Street
Ayr
KA8 8EB
Tel: 01292 272231
Fax: 01292 611593
Email: [email protected]

and ask if they hold the valuation rolls or voters rolls for 1901 till 1906 and check if he is at the address that I found him in on the 1901 census. I have used valuation rolls to find people before they are quite useful

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Nov 2009 21:37

HI SUmmer

Have edited my post re 1901 census daughters name was Mary not Margaret
here is her birth

Mary Frances Morgan
dob 19 Nov 1888 looks like Cossehill Kilwinning
parents William Morgan general labourer and Margaret Morgan m/s Quinn

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 25 Nov 2009 22:44

I know nothing as to how things operated in Scotland (am going up there this weekend so will ask!), but if Margaret had died about 1895 in England, she would likely have been buried in the local cemetery. I wonder if you could find out where that was, and ask them who else is buried in the grave.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Nov 2009 00:40

Summer

There is an Ayrshire roots message forum
http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=647072489&frmid=98&msgid=0
found it when I was looking for details of Kilwinning cemetry. Perhaps you could ask on there about the grave of Margaret Morgan you may find some kind soul will have a look for ou

Jackie

summer

summer Report 26 Nov 2009 12:43

Thanks everyone, gosh why didnt I think of that , seeing if he was buried in the same place. I have posted a message on that Ayrshire forum so fingers crossed that someone can help, if not I shall need to perhaps plan to take a trip.
I really am delighted with all the help and advice given from everyone.
I shall let you know if I get an answer.

Thank you

summer

summer Report 29 Nov 2009 13:44

Well still no luck , I went to Kilwinning cemetry and couldnt find Margaret or Williams grave although some graves were so badly damaged that perhaps I just missed them.
I have a thought though perhaps he was registered with his middle name which I think is John could someone please check that out for me please.

Thank you