Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 7 Nov 2009 16:37

Can anyone help me please. I was on Ancestry for most of the afternoon when suddenly I was logged out. I have tried to log back in with no luck. I rang Ancestry but no help till monday.I have run cleaner still no luck.
I get the following come up at bottom of screen
Waiting for http://secure ancestry.co.uk/security/passwordlogin.
Alan.

Thelma

Thelma Report 7 Nov 2009 17:03

Not to sure
Try: Forgot Username/Password
they should send you an email with your password and maybe you can log in via the email.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2009 17:09

try rebooting your PC that sometimes clears things

Alan

Alan Report 7 Nov 2009 17:22

Hello Jim.
Thank you for your reply.
Have tried what said at 17.10 have had no email.
Regards Alan.

Alan

Alan Report 7 Nov 2009 17:27

Hello Shirley,
Thank you for your reply.
I had tried that but no luck
Regards Alan.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 7 Nov 2009 21:03

Hi Alan,

Assuming your computer is working properly and your internet connection is ok, the information offered should have been sufficient to re-enable your Ancestry login.

1......Re-boot your computer.
2......Enable your internet connection.
3......Bring up Ancestry home page.
4......Enter Username & Password.
5......If unknown, click on Forgot Username / Password just below login.
6......You will be prompted to enter your e-mail address and click on request login information.
7......An e-mail with details of how to change your username or / and your password will be sent IMMEDIATELY.
8......Change whatever takes your fancy and you will be logged in.........end of story!

Alan

Alan Report 8 Nov 2009 13:20

Hello Frank 06.
Many thanks for your reply I have tried it with no luck.
This morning I have tried again and am now getting a Security warning come up as follows:-
The current web page is trying to open a site on your trusted sites list. Do you want to allow this?
Current site http://www.ancestry.co.uk
Trusted site https://secure site ancestry.co.uk

I went into the tools and added the first one to the list also tried the second but still get the same message up when I try to log in.

When I click on forgotten password I still get the same message up.

Ancestry seems to have blocked me, any help would be appreciated.
Regards Alan

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Nov 2009 13:57

Hi Allan, Sorry that didn't help.

What system are you running.....Vista, XP, Linux etc ?
What firewall ?
What anti virus ?
Any malware, spyware,cleaner programs etc ?

Sounds like your firewall isn't happy if you are having to go into "tools" and that is all the more strange as you say you were in Ancestry at the time which suggests the firewall was ok with it.

I'm on Vista but will see if I can help.

Alan

Alan Report 8 Nov 2009 14:24

Hello Frank 06.
I do not know a lot about computers,but have never had a single problem in the past.
System XP AOL firewall Anti virus Norton Cleaners C cleaner.
Thats all that I know of, its getting a bit technical.
Regards Alan

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Nov 2009 14:43

Is that Norton 360?

Alan

Alan Report 8 Nov 2009 14:56

Hello Frank.
I honestly dont know, I think I shall have to call some one in to sort it out or have a word with ancestry tomorrow and see if they can help.
I do appreciate you trying to help me but I am getting out of my depth.
Thank you once again.
Regards Alan.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 8 Nov 2009 15:07

I was having problems both on ancestry and on here, they would suddenly log me out.

I had to clear the cookie before I was able to sign in again.

I have now started using firefox as my browser rather than IE and have had no problems at all.

Christine

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Nov 2009 15:27

CCleaner that will certainly clear all of the cookies etc.
Worth a try Alan.

Alan

Alan Report 8 Nov 2009 16:08

Have just run CCleaner again and still cannot log in, but the security warning did not come up.
Alan.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Nov 2009 17:19

Hi Alan, Just found this on Ancestry..........

Using AOL with Ancestry

Question
Is the Ancestry website compatible with the AOL Internet browser?

Answer
The AOL Internet browser is not a supported browser to access Ancestry.com. You can use AOL to provide a connection with the Internet. You will need to use a supported browser after you have established an Internet connection.

We suggest that you first minimize (not close) the AOL browser. The minimize button is found in the upper right hand corner of the browser. It is the third button from the right and has an underline. If you place your mouse pointer over the button, a small message will appear that reads Minimize. Click on the button.

After minimizing the AOL Internet browser, open a recommended browser from the list below. To help us provide the best service we can, it is very important that our members use the most current Internet browser available. Ancestry recommends that you use one of the following browsers:

Windows users

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.X
Firefox 3.X

If that doesn't work then it looks like you would be best having a chat with Ancestry.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 8 Nov 2009 17:23

Or you could try this........................
Since you are not getting the security warning anymore try copying and pasting the following into the address box at the top of your internet screen.
This is the "forgotten password" site for Ancestry.

https://secure.ancestry.co.uk/security/forgotpassword.aspx

1.To copy & paste.....hold the cursor at the start of the above URL.
2.Left click & hold down & move across the URL until it has all been highlighted.
3.Right click on the highlighted section & from the drop down table select "copy"
.............The text has now been copied to your mouse.
4.Left click on the address box at the top of your internet screen.
.............the address box will be highlighted.
5.Right click on the highlighted box & from the drop down table select paste.
6.The copied address is now in the address box
............to the far right of the box click on the blue arrow............your site will open.
7.Try changing password again.

Alan

Alan Report 9 Nov 2009 10:34

Hello Frank 06,
Sorry for delay in replying, I gave up yesterday and switched off.
This morning I have just tried your last suggestion and it worked and am now back on Ancestry.
I cannot thank you enough for your time and help it is very much appreciated.
Kind regards.
Alan.

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 9 Nov 2009 19:47

No problem Alan,

Glad to be of assistance as I have often been assisted in the past.
Hope you didn't mind the lesson in C&P, just that some people aren't up to speed with those little tricks so it helps to show it one step at a time.
Even if you didn't need it someone else looking in might learn something.