Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Worldwide access to Ancestry - kind soul needed pl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 19:09

I am wondering whether any kind soul has access to worldwide records and if they would be kind enough to do a look up for me pls? Have been desperately searching for:

Constance Archer b c 1905, married Fred Fox 1927 Leeds. W. Yorkshire. Divorced before 1939.

I am really stuck with her, my paternal g.mother, can't find a remarriage up to 1950, GRO have checked loads for me. Am grasping at straws now and wondering whether she went abroad.

Would really appreciate it if anyone could spare the time to see if anything is thrown up.

Thanks

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 19:34

There are a few Constance Fox leaving on passenger lists do you know of a middle name?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 19:38

There are also a few possibilities under Constance Archer should she have reverted to her maiden name

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 19:48

All I have is her marr. cert to my g.father, there is no middle name on that.

I really don't know whether she reverted to her maiden name all I know for sure is she left the family home in probably 1931 and went to London. She apparently "turned up again" in approx 1935, and my dad didn't recognise her. Fred divorced her and remarried in 1939.

Thanks

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 19:57

Well there is a Constance Stannard Fox going to Australia in 1940. I have found that unusual middle names can often be the mothers maiden name is Stannard in your tree?

The Constance Archers listed are the correct age but did not leave until the late 50's and early 60's

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 20:29

Hi Jacqui
I haven't found any Stannard's in my tree - unfortunately. Her mother's maiden name was Unsworth which was my uncle's middle name, so I don't think it's the same person.

It really is a mystery to me, no one knows what happened and I can't find an obvious death for her either under Fox or Archer in the UK.

Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2009 20:39

Who were her parents so we can find her birth?

Rose

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 20:44

His Rose

Her parents were Annie Archer nee Unsworth and Samuel Archer
married in Leeds and seem to have had numerous children before Constance.
Any help really appreciated.
Thanks

Jackie

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 20:49

Have you checked free bmd ? there are 2 entries for a constance fox marrying one in 1942 and then one in 1945 marrying a Mills then there is a constance mills leaving for Canada in 1946

A long shot I know but applying for the marriage certificate using the brides fathers name as a reference checking point would only cost £3 if not a match.

Mar 1945 Nottingham 7B 708

good luck!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2009 20:50

I have them in 1891 in Sheffield but where are they in 1901?

Rose

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 21:08

Jacqui

Thanks for info on Mills, I don't know how I missed that one, will certainly order from GRO.

Rose

In 1901 Samuel was living alone in Leeds but "married"

Annie was with the earlier children but "separated" also in Leeds but it has been transcribed as ARTHUR.

Weird thing I can't find any of them anywhere on 1911 census as I was banking on finding her on their. Tried every variant, wildcard - no joy am now banging my head against the wall - ha, ha.

Try to cut long story short, trying to find birth and death and in between bits for my dad who's 81 as he's tried in vain for years to find out with no luck. Would love to beable to take him to her "resting place".

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 21:15

I found an ancestor this way my gt gm married in 1919 then emigrated to NZ was looking for maiden name for ages as we knew she went but did not realize she had married!! Now found another person in Oz who knows all about it. Keep searching!!

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 21:25

Hi Jacqui
Glad you have a success story - lovely to hear.

Do you mind me asking please how did you get access to passenger lists? So I can make a note of it and if GRO come up trumps then at least am a little bit nearer?

Really appreciate your and Rose's help.

Kind regards
Jackie

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 4 Sep 2009 21:41

I have a subscription to find my past i like the site and it is easy to find things, I have bookmarked this thread so if you need me to search on it just contact me through this thread.

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 4 Sep 2009 22:05

Jacqui

Thank you for your kind offer and the info of Find my past.

Take care and again thanks for all your help. If my Constance turns out to have married Mr. Mills will certainly let you know.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2009 22:38

It's possible Constance was born under another surname if her parents were separated.

I don't see a birth for a Constance Archer in the Leeds area.

Who were the witnesses to her marriage? Perhaps there's a clue there.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Sep 2009 23:02

1901 for reference:

1901 England Census
about Annie Arther
Name: Annie Arther
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Separated
Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
Civil parish: Leeds
Ecclesiastical parish: St Hilda
Town: Leeds
County/Island: Yorkshire
Registration district: Leeds
Sub-registration district: South East Leeds
ED, institution, or vessel: 39
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 38
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Arther 34
Fred Arther 16
Nellie Arther 12
Willie Arther 10
Sam Arther 6
Naman Arther 3
Annie Arther 1

Rose

**Granny Bangles**

**Granny Bangles** Report 5 Sep 2009 11:38

Morning Rose

Have looked on marr. cert. and checked with my dad. One witness was Fred's brother and the other a good friend of Fred whom my dad remembers. So unfortunately no clue on marr. cert. non of Constances family appear as witnesses.

Have checked births under her mother's maiden name, nothing showing up their either.

Am really pulling my hair out with this one!!!

Unfortunately got to go and do some decorating - yuk. Be back later.

Jackie