Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Search Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 15:06

H E L P !!!!!!!

I am SO frustrated. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and how I progress....

I have just purchased credits on the 1911 Census but dont get anywhere once I've put in information. It still red asterisks name info as "at least one area needed to be filled in" WHEN IT IS!

I want to search where any of this family were in 1911.

My great-grandfather John Hackworth b1874 and ggrandmother Elizabeth Hackworth b1875 with their children my grandfather - Arthur Frederick Guy H/W b1908, May H/W b1901, John H/W b1895, Beatrice H/W b1897, Jessie H/W b1899, and Margaret H/W b1902.

From the 1901 Census they were living in Camberwell, London.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong please?

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 15:14

Thankyou Annie G, but my gg John Hackworth was born in Norwich, so sadly not relevant.

On 1911 Census how do I fill in the box "CENSUS REFERENCE". Where do I get this information from?

Now, deeply frustrated novice.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Aug 2009 15:17

There shows up a Margaret and Jessie living in ST Olave, Bermondsey

Also Arthur,Beatrice, May and John

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 15:17

SomersetGirl,

Yes the John Hackworth with an Elizabeth for St. Olave, Bermondsey is the one. How do I get more info of address etc on Census as I don't know how to get Census Reference?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2009 15:18

Gaynor,

Not sure what you are doing wrong, but i did a quick search for the family, they are in St Olave:
John 36
May 17
John 15
Beatrice 14
Jessie 12
Margaret 9
Kathrine 7
Ivy 5

Just do a straightforward search on Ivy, and make sure all other boxes are clear, as not to complicate things
Annx

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 15:18

Thankyou Glitter Baby that's obviously the one, but why couldn't I get that info? I don't understand.

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 15:23

My God, thankyou Ann. I didn't even know of Katherine or an Ivy in the family. Im thrilled.

Thankyou also SomersetGirl for advice re: Census reference.

I will now go back to 1911 Census and try again. I will return again if I am still stuck but thankyou all.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2009 15:35

Dont get too excited Gaynor they are only possibles, but seem likely they are the same family, you will only know when you pay to view the oiginal census form.

Annx

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 16:04

Thankyou all and recent reply Nadia.

Less info is obviously the best way of going about using the 1911 Census, as this time I just added Ivy Hackworth and got success. Still had no luck with just John Hackworth though.

Bit pricey as I used 30 of my 60 credits to view original. Not much left in the kitty now. Nevermind, thanks to you helpful lot I have two more relatives I didn't know existed!

Thanks again.

miffed

miffed Report 18 Aug 2009 20:57

It did Thomas.

PS. Two new names on Census were relatives.

Thanks everyone.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Aug 2009 21:25

Hi gaynor,

Glad the two extra children belonged to the family, Was the mothers maiden name Crow? Have found the following:

Dec 1911 Victoria Hackworth ref: 1d 299
Mar 1913 Frank A Hackworth ref: 1d 392
Sept 1914 Violet Hackworth ref: 1d 400
June 1916 Edward G Hackworth 1b 347

All St Olave

Annx

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 18 Aug 2009 21:38

Also allow for mistranscriptions. That is why putting all the information you know even though it is correct can come up with nothing. Less is best for sure.

As for John Hackworth.
I have just tried by putting John Hackworth born Norwich and no age

Result. 1911 census.
John Hackworth 36 living St Olave Bermondsey. You then go back to search the records in pale blue writing at the top of the page

Where it says " other members of household" put John Hackworth. Where it says residential place put St Olave Bermondsey.
Where it says last name put Hackworth. It then came up with all the names .
It does not however come up with other people living with them who have a different name

You pay 10 credits for the transcript which gives place of births,occupation,how long married,relationships. Address

30 credits for census image which is lovely because its written in their own hand assuming they could write. Also gives how many children born and how many had died.Plus all the other details.

So depending on how close the relative is you pay for what you need

miffed

miffed Report 19 Aug 2009 01:00

Thankyou Quinsgran and Ann.

Lots of helpful advice. Yes, the names you mention Ann I had already, so you can imagine my surprise when I thought I had the lot of the family by John's marriage to Elizabeth Crow and then discovered 2 I didn't know about and neither did a relative also working on our tree independently!

Old John was a bit of a lad. Elizabeth his wife died young at 46yrs from cervical cancer after producing some 12 children. He re-married within the year as he still had 5 small children living at home.

I am now trying to work out if he went onto have more children with his new wife Emma Dipple b. 1881 Bermondsey, although she was a widow when she married John and had at least two children from her previous marriage!

Thanks all for your help, especially detailing how to overcome problems on 1911 Census. Much appreciated.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 19 Aug 2009 01:55

Surprising how many widowers with children marry so soon after their wives death. I guess they discovered raising children was easier with 2 .

Emma was a widow so she probably found it to her advantage too.
No benefit in those days. When did Emma marry John?If she was in her 40s she possibly had a couple of children to him but hopefully not

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2009 04:14

Lets start with John Hackworth pob=Norwich - maybe we'll get lucky. We do:

1 results found. You searched for:
First names JOHN
First names Algorithm Exact
Last names HACKWORTH
Last names Algorithm Wildcard
Birth Place NORWICH

HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH JOHN M 1875 36 St Olave (Bermondsey) London

We need to know how many John Hackworth's there are in St Olave.
What we really need is a family member with a unique forename.

10 results found. You searched for:
Last names HACKWORTH
County London
District St Olave (Bermondsey)

HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH JOHN M 1875 36 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH ELIZABETH F 1876 35 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH MAY F 1894 17 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH JOHN M 1896 15 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH BEATRICE F 1897 14 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH JESSIE F 1899 12 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH MARGARET F 1902 9 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH KATHERINE F 1904 7 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH IVY F 1906 5 St Olave (Bermondsey) London
HOUSEHOLD HACKWORTH ARTHUR M 1909 2 St Olave (Bermondsey) London

[I've reordered the hits]

All but John are unique - so lets find out which Hackworth's are living with Ivy

9 results found. You searched for:
Last names HACKWORTH
County London
District St Olave (Bermondsey)
Other person last names HACKWORTH
Other person last names Algorithm Exact
Other person first names IVY
Other person first names Algorithm Exact

So they all are.
We can search for Hackworth's that are head, wife, son, daughter and they're just as expected.
(NB I think here Son includes stepson and son-in-law, sim daughter, but there aren't any).
One can similarly guess pob e.g., Jessie + Margt have pob=Camberwell. 4 other kids (exc Ivy) have pob=Bermondsey.

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2009 04:15

SomersetGirl's wrong - you can put in a census ref - the trouble is knowing what it is.
Why you'ld want to do this is you can't see if they've got any non-Hackworth's living with them,
like in-laws, married sisters, nieces, lodgers, visitors, etc.
If you've no idea of their name, then you have to add something in the last required field - census ref.
So what I add is the code for St Olave (rd24) - check I've still got my 10 Hackworth's, then check who's living with Ivy - no one new.

The last piece in the jigsaw is a search of the NA catalogue for "St Olave" "1911-1911" "rg" at:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/Default.asp?j=1

This hit has an unusual format, but shows
RG 78/66 More information Registration Sub-District: St Olave Civil Parish, Township or Place: Bermondsey (part) RD 24 RS 1 ED 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
(rg14 are the actual census sheets, rg78 are the enumerators descriptive sheets).

The more usual format shows up if I search for Solihull
RG 14/18639 More information Registration Sub-District: Solihull Civil Parish, Township or Place: Solihull (part) RD 392 RS 1 ED 1
RG 14/18649 More information Registration Sub-District: Solihull Civil Parish, Township or Place: Elmdon RD 392 RS 1 ED 11
etc

RG 78/1115 More information Registration Sub-District: Solihull Civil Parish, Township or Place: Solihull (part) Elmdon Yardley (part) RD 392 RS 1 ED 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56

Some of the piece #s (pn) show the ED is in Elmdon or Yardley. Here's a breakdown of the pn's
Solihull 18639-18648,18693; Elmdon 18649; Yardley 18650-18692,18694.

Now one could go thru the 56 pn's - however, if we first try Elmdon and Yardley as addresses, and get no hits for Harry Fantom,
we can concentrate on the 11 Solihull pn's (the last of which is Institutional). Entering Solihull in the address will always get a hit with the RD, so that doesn't help.
One could try rg14pn18639, etc and determine the census ref.
Normally, one wouldn't bother abt determining the pn, but maybe if you're looking at the family of Mary Evans in Merthyr Tydfil - even if you've no bother identifying her, like she's the only one with pob=Berwick.

miffed

miffed Report 19 Aug 2009 11:59

Hi Quinsgran.

Emma Dipple married John Hackworth 19/11/1921 at St Olave, Bermondsey. She was 39yrs, John was 47yrs, so I guess she could still have had more children! Emma's birth name was Burns (according to the marriage certificate - name of father).

Hi to mgnv.

Wow, I'm afraid at this moment in time I will need a stiff drink to decipher all your notes on "using the 1911 Census"! I am overwhelmed by your experience, and realise how LITTLE I am actually using the information I receive through my own research. I will try and work out how to put your notes into practice. Thankyou for attempting to educate me.

You will realise how hard it will be, when I explain how limited my computer skills are....... I have just purchase FTM Platinum in an attempt to organise my tree for my family to see (although I have also yet to buy a printer for my laptop). I thought you just put the disc in and away..... but no. I dont understand the lingo or a lot of the concept of the computer, so I am frustratingly sitting here looking at the nice new program all boxed up and no where to go!!!!!! I will now have to wait for a family member to install it for me and hope he knows what he's doing.

Hey ho.... I'll resign myself to plodding on with my little branches....... x

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 19 Aug 2009 21:15

Thanks for contacting Gaynor. Unfortunately my Ancestry sub has expired so I cant check later births for Emma Dibble and John Hackworth. Im sure others will be able to help.

As for the 1911 census . Go to Joneseys thread on tips board about this. I have added how to do an advanced search and use occupations and name variants as another way to find which relative is yours.
I couldnt find my grandfather at home with his family. I found him in another town using variant and occupation. His surname was transcribed with an S on the end

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2009 23:16

Yes, it is a bit compressed and you probably will have to work at it initially.
Two points - the "N results found. You searched for:" block does give all the search criteria I used to get the displayed results; and secondly, the only point of the NA search was to find the rd24 code for St Olave.