Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thanks for everyone's help previously - can I be c

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Middy

Middy Report 2 Aug 2009 17:07

Hi everyone, I am sure there are quite a few people that have already helped me with several queries and I want to thank them so much as I really do appreciate all the help and time given.

I would be grateful for some more help but only if people want to and have the time - no problems if you don't.

I am looking for some information regarding some of my great great nan's children/husband.

The information I have so far is:

Anna Maria Quested (mum) married James Quested 26th Nov 1837 in St George in the East (East London) - have the certificate and all OK, however they had 5 children - Sarah, James, Mary Elizabeth, James William and Emma Maria Amelia Quested. I have found the information on Sarah and Emma (BM & D) and some info on the others but then I cannot find anything else, below is what I know:

James William Quested born approx 1845 - St George in the East. (Cannot find the birth)

George Henry Quested - found birth J/A/S 1840 and was born in St George in the East.

Mary Elizabeth Quested - found birth A/M/J 1839 and again was born in St George in the East

James Quested (dad) cannot find any trace of him apart from the marriage in 1837)

I cannot find deaths, some of the births and marriages for any of the above.

I have looked on the census, FREEbmd, GR and Family Search but cannot find anything (I do know from one of the Census that Anna the mum must have married somebody called Frost as on the 1871 census her Sarah and James are down as Frost but have searched under both names - and they were all born Quested)

I really hope this makes sense, feel I have waffled a bit too much

Many Thanks if anyone can help xx

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 2 Aug 2009 17:13

This is the only birth coming up on freebmd for James Quested, even with the phonetic search on.

Births Mar 1846 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quested James E Ashford 5 2

The district E Ashford is an alternative name for East Ashford and it is in the county of Kent

Are there any family links to Kent - perhaps Anna Maria went to parents or in-laws for the birth?

Or alternatively - the birth for James wasn't registered.

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 2 Aug 2009 17:16

Possible marriages for James Quested

Marriages Mar 1867 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOGBEN Elizabeth Elham 2a 1090
Jacob William Henry Elham 2a 1090
Quested James Elham 2a 1090
Standing Charlotte Elizabeth Elham 2a 1090

Elham is in Kent so this is likely to be the marriage for the previous birth registration.

There is, however, this marriage in Pancras

Marriages Sep 1878 (>99%)

COLEMAN Sarah Pancras 1b 166
FINN Emily Pancras 1b 166
JAMES Frederick Pancras 1b 166
QUESTED James Pancras 1b 166

You would only know if this was definitely your James if you bought the certificate I'm afraid.

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 2 Aug 2009 17:17

Possible marriage for George Henry Quested??

Marriages Jun 1885 (>99%)

Feasey Annie Hendon 3a 258
Graville Margaret Hendon 3a 258
Irwin William Hendon 3a 258
Quested George Henry Hendon 3a 258

Middy

Middy Report 2 Aug 2009 17:20

Thanks Ninjalady - I will have a look, sods law someone has just come round so may be off line for a while xx

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 2 Aug 2009 17:59

This is the 1851 and father James was alive on this.

This was on your other thread about the family.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1162429&px=0

I think the mother was found as Frost in 1861 and 1871.

1851 England Census
about George Henry Questell
Name: George Henry Questell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Anna Maira
Where born: St Georges East, Middlesex, England

Civil parish: St George in The East
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: St George In The East
Sub-registration district: St Mary
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 153
Household Members: Name Age
James Questell 43
Anna Maira Questell 44
Mary Elizh Questell 12
George Henry Questell 10
Sarah Maria Questell 9
James William Questell 6
Emma Maria David Questell 5

Christine

Middy

Middy Report 2 Aug 2009 20:07

HI Christine

Yes I have the 1851 census which shows James Quested (Dad) but nothing after that date - no deaths on BMD either.

I have made a list of the census and who should be on which one from when they were born - have found some of them on there but again nothing on BMD, and cannot get a census for 1861 for any of them?

I love doing this but gets so frustrating when you are doing it for hours and get nothing not even one date.

Many Thanks xx

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Aug 2009 21:57

From Findmypast

James Weldon Quested
Baptism 03 November 1844
St George in the East Stepney

Birth date: 6 October 1844
Address: 158 George Court

Father: James Occupation: Bricklayer
Mother: Anna Maria

Chris

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 2 Aug 2009 23:10

Deaths Mar 1883 (99%)

Quested James Weldon 37 Lambeth 1d 286

Christine

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 2 Aug 2009 23:48

Middy.

Check the 1861 census to see which census pages are missing

Middy

Middy Report 3 Aug 2009 21:01

Hi Chris and Chris

Thank you so much for looking for me, no wonder I couldn't find James - as on the census it had been put as James William, whereas he is name was James Weldon - and the parents are correct.

You are all very good at this - can I ask how do you find out the mum and dad's name when searching a birth record that far back?

Many Thanks xxx

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 3 Aug 2009 22:20

Middy, the only sure way is to buy the birth cert, but checking the censuses is another way.

Ozi

Middy

Middy Report 3 Aug 2009 22:25

Thanks Ozi

I know I will have to get some cert's - was just interested as Chris had found the son and the parents names were both correct - just wondered how/where she had found out the info

Thanks

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 4 Aug 2009 22:58

It looks like she used Ancestry. This is an excellent site. It is by subscription but you can get a free trial and there are different payment plans.

She found your family by searching for George using the info you posted.

Ozi

Middy

Middy Report 5 Aug 2009 20:30

Hi Ozi

Ooh I haven't been on Ancestry - will see how much they charge.

So when you search for a birth and put in the child's name does it then tell you the mum and dad's names or do you enter this in the search with the child's name.

Sorry to be a pain

Thanks

Pam

Pam Report 5 Aug 2009 21:03

From late 1911 the mother's maiden name appears on birth registrations.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 5 Aug 2009 23:45

This is the post I presume you are talking about.

Chris in Sussex 2nd August 2009 21:57
From Findmypast

James Weldon Quested
Baptism 03 November 1844
St George in the East Stepney

Birth date: 6 October 1844
Address: 158 George Court

Father: James Occupation: Bricklayer
Mother: Anna Maria

Chris says it was found on Findmypast which is also a subscription site.

Christine

Middy

Middy Report 6 Aug 2009 09:22

Hi Christine

Thanks for the message, have been on Findmypast - and searched under births but when I did this it only gives the original transcription page of the births - it doesn't show any baptism/birth dates as you have found, can you tell me what heading you searched under - as this sounds a better site to go on.

Many Thanks

Hazel x

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 6 Aug 2009 14:40

Hi Hazel,

I wasn't the one to find it but I have just been on findmypast and you need to click the online parish records, just below the box where you would enter a name on the homepage.

Christine

Middy

Middy Report 6 Aug 2009 21:04

Thanks Christine

I have just been on there and bought some credits and have found it - many thanks

xx