Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know about Caversham, Oxfordshire?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 17 Jul 2009 11:43

I am unable to find a street map of Caversham to see where between Emmer Green and Prospect Street are.

I am trying to find out how long from Emmer Green to Prospect St.

Do you know about it?

Regards, Steven.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Jul 2009 11:45

http://www.multimap.com/

Roy

AllanC

AllanC Report 17 Jul 2009 11:53

Emmer Green and Caversham are areas of READING, formerly Berkshire but now, I think, a Unitary Authority. Not far from the Oxfordshire border, Emmer Green and Caversham might have been in Oxon at one time, the border's been re-drawn several times. This should take you to a map which you can zoom in or out.
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=472246&y=176940&z=120&sv=emmer+green&st=3&tl=Map+of+Emmer+Green,+Reading+[Town]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jul 2009 12:03

If you go onto Google maps and put the address in you will find Prospect Street Caversham on there.

Kath. x

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 17 Jul 2009 12:08

Hi, thanks for the website addresses.

I thought Emmer Green was in Caversham. I have some censuses from 1871 to 1891 in Caversham where a daughter and her father lived separately.

The daughter lived in Prospect St, Caversham. Her father lived in Emmer Green, Caversham. It was Rose Hill Cottage and Gardeners Cottage. I am not sure if these were street or suburb, was it?

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 17 Jul 2009 12:14

Kath, yes it was easy to find Prospect Street map. But I don't know more about Emmer Green.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jul 2009 13:10

If you just put Emmer Green into the search box on Google Maps you will find that in Reading too.

Kath. x

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Jul 2009 13:22

I put caversham into google maps and found Emmer Green on the same map,about one mile north.

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 17 Jul 2009 13:25

Hi, yes I have found Emmer Green. But where is Rose Hill Cottage or Gardeners Cottage? Were it in Emmer Green or Caversham?

Alan

Alan Report 17 Jul 2009 13:44

Hello Steven.
Can I be of help,I once lived a couple of hundred yards from Prospect Street and know Emmer Green as well.
Alan.

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Jul 2009 13:55

1881 England Census
about Winifred Kate Allen
Name: Winifred Kate Allen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: George
Mother's Name: Eliza
Where born: Emmer Green, Oxfordshire, England

Civil parish: Caversham
County/Island: Oxfordshire

Street Address: Emmer Green Gardners Cottg <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
On the next image is Rose hill and Rose hill House
and on the next image is Rose Hill House followed by Cottage
Marion Vockins William,Mary abt 1866 Mildenhall, Wiltshire, England Daughter Caversham, Oxfordshire

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jul 2009 14:50

Steven,

Prospect Street and Emmer Green are both in the same area (around Caversham) and about a mile apart.

You are unlikely to find exactly where Rose Hill Cottage and Gardener's Cottage were as the area will have changed enormously since the time of the early census records.

Kath. x

AllanC

AllanC Report 17 Jul 2009 17:14

Caversham was transferred from Oxfordshire to Berkshire in 1911. It is now in the Reading Unitary Authority area. If I remember rightly, at the last local government reorganisation Berkshire ceased to exist as an administrative county, being comprised entirely of UAs, and is now merely a geographical area.

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 19 Jul 2009 10:50

Alan, thanks for asking. Do you know where Post Office at Prospect Street? I am trying to find out what number of the PO. I have some censuses but it does not show numbers. Edward Gales worked in the PO from 1871 to 1901.

Jim, yes that was them. George Allen might be my gggg grandfather. Eliza was his second wife.

Kath, I understand that would be gone. Now I don’t worry about where those cottages were. I was curious how long between Caversham and Emmer Green. I wondered if a daughter would visit her father and stepmother and how long did it takes by horses.

AllanC, thanks for that.

Alan

Alan Report 19 Jul 2009 17:41

Hello Steven.
The post office in Prospect Street is on the right handside of the road going towards Emmer Green between South Street and North Street or right opposite Chester Street
Working from the 1901 census Caversham District 4 Page 7 I think it might be no7, I know that a large shop was on the corner of South St and Prospect St (no 5 on census uninhabited) and the PO was next door
If you are fit it would take you 30 mins to walk from Prospect St to Emmer Green.
Regards Alan.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jul 2009 11:59

Steven

Prospect Street Caversham still has a lot of old buildings in it, many of the lower floors are shops.

The ** Google car has been seen around the area so keep an eye on Google Street maps.

I don't know Emmer Green well but feel it is mostly more modern housing.

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 21 Jul 2009 10:01

Hi Alan, many thanks for your message. I see that it takes 30 minutes by walking. Also number street for the PO.

So Mary could be visit her father and stepmother sometimes from her PO.

Cheers, Steven.

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 21 Jul 2009 10:07

Hi Nameeslessone, that's interested about lots of old buildings. Thanks for it.

I can't wait for The ** Google car in UK. It is already in Australia.

Cheers, Steven.