Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Honora Hancock/Joseph Hunt Handsworth Staffordshir

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerald

Gerald Report 18 May 2009 20:29

I am still on the search for Hunt ancesters, trying to find parents for Edward Hunt b. 1823? Smethwick, have always felt that his mother had died and father remarried and had more children, searched in vain. Grasping at a straw, just found a marriage for a HORORA HANCOCK to a JOSEPH HUNT 5/3/1821 St. Mary's Handsworth Staffs, can anyone find a birth for her, or possible death record, or record of children of the marriage? I am pretty sure that Joseph went on to marry a Lucy Turton in 1834 in Dudley, but can't pin point Edward and his sisters Hannah's mother - it's becoming a bit of a puzzle to me. Any help I would be pleased. Thanks Karen.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 18 May 2009 20:39

hi is this him
1851 census

Name Edward Hunt
Age 23
Estimated Year of Birth 1828
Relationship to Head of Household HEAD
Occupation LABORER
Address GEORGE STREET
District Kings Norton, Kings Norton, Smethwick
Parish
Administrative County Worcestershire
Birth Place Smethwick
Birth County STAFFORDSHIRE
in house
edward head 23
jane wife 26
john 2
hannah hunt sister 20
ann hunt daughter 7

Gerald

Gerald Report 18 May 2009 20:55

Hi Polly, yes that is the Edward, trying to find him and his parents before this, hadn't come up with Horora before so trying out this lead, thanks. Karen.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2009 22:02

LUCY TURTON Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: JOSEPH HUNT Family
Marriage: 17 NOV 1834 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Gerald

Gerald Report 19 May 2009 09:54

Thanks Ann, Still hoping for a lead on the elusive Honora. Karen.

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 19 May 2009 15:41

Hi Karen
Could this be the sister, Hannah?

IGI Extracted christening record

HANNAH HUNT Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
21 AUG 1831 Smethwick, Stafford, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: SAMUEL HUNT Family
Mother: ROSANNA

Also christened on the same day:

REBECCA HUNT Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
21 AUG 1831 Smethwick, Stafford, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:

Kaz :o)

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 19 May 2009 15:55

No sign of Edward but have found a William,

WILLIAM HUNT Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
25 DEC 1826 Smethwick, Stafford, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:

and the marriage:

SAMUEL HUNT Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: ROSANNA TAYLOR Family
Marriage:
05 JUL 1825 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Sorry I couldn't find anything on your Honora/Joseph marriage but this family could be related to your Edward sometimes it helps to go sideways.
Apologies if already have this info.

Gerald

Gerald Report 19 May 2009 21:04

Hi Kaz,
Thanks for all your efforts, some good info there. From viewing the 1841 census Edward is listed along with the Samuel/Rosanna Hunt family, so I came to the conclusion that Samuel was his uncle, maybe the Hannah and Rebecca are his cousins, odd that Hannah is the same age as the sister I found for him though. Pity that relationships weren't recorded on that census, I could eaily have put Samuel for Edward's father if his marriage cert didn't say his father was Joseph a blacksmith. Have noted all the names and dates you found. Don't suppose you can find a common link between Samuel and a possible brother Joseph anywhere, somewhere I seem to have found that the mother of Joseph (born around 1790ish) was a Sarah and father another Joseph. Oh the confusion of it all, thanks again and will be interested to see if anything else turns up.
Good wishes Karen.

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 19 May 2009 22:27

Hi Karen

I did find a Samuel & Joseph born 1790's to John & Elizabeth Hunt chr at ST Martin's in Birmingham. But I don't want to put you on the wrong path it may not be them. (IGI)
I wonder whether Edward grew up with Hannah and thought of her as a sister hence the 1851 relationship. Did Hannah (sister) marry? Have you got her marriage cert this may help to sort it out with name of her father.

I wondered what makes you think Joseph went on to marry again?

Best wishes

Kaz

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 May 2009 03:35

You mean this marriage?

IGI Individual Record
HONORA HANCOCK
Marriages:
Spouse: JOSEPH HUNT
Marriage: 05 MAR 1821 Saint Marys, Handsworth, Stafford, England
Source Information:
Batch No.: M098671
Dates: 1810 - 1825

There's also this. She may have been older than a baby when christened.

IGI Individual Record
HONORA HANCOCK
Christening: 15 AUG 1813 Saint John, Burslem, Stafford, England
Parents:
Father: JOHN HANCOCK
Mother: FANNY
Source Information:
Batch No.: C010049
Dates: 1790 - 1813

I can't find any children for Joseph & Honora, but that doesn't mean they didn't have any.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 May 2009 04:13

In the 1841 census it is recorded that he is not born in county, though he obviously thinks he was born at Smethwick.

Ozi.

Gerald

Gerald Report 20 May 2009 15:17

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your help and info, here are the answers to some of the points raised: I have Joseph Hunt marrying a Lucy Turton on 17/11/1834 St. Thomas Dudley, they went on to have children Pheobe 1836 Joseph 1838, John 1840, Charles 1849, Rebecca 1846 and Henry 1849, all Smethwick, Oldbury or Londonderry.
Yes that was the marriage I found for Honora and Joseph 1821, thanks for the christening details for Honora, could well be her.
I can't find any record for Hannah marrying so am unable to get cert to confirm her fathers name - another puzzle. I was coming to the conclusion that maybe Edward refered to Hannah as his sister too, am also wonderering if the child Ann on the 1851 census listed after Hannah is her child and not Edward and Janes?
By the way can anyone decipher the occupation for Edward on the 1841 census - blowed if I can!
I have always shyed away from Birmingham records, because I have always believed that my lot originated in "the black country" and the bits of Birmingham with Hunts seems to be not their area at all. However with the Burslem connection for Honora who knows, gets more complex by the minute.
Think that's covered all the points, if not let me know, and thanks again all.
Nice lot that you are. Karen

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 May 2009 21:01

Yes, I'm sure Ann is Hannah's daughter by the way she's placed in the list of household.

In 1841 Edward is a M.S. [male servant] which means he's probably a labourer & general rouseabout for Samuel.

Gerald

Gerald Report 20 May 2009 21:55

Thanks Ozibird, Male Servant, wouldn't have worked that one out in a month of Sundays, how is it that every bit of info we glean throughs up another puzzle, I forsee a sleepless night over Hannah's daughter now, along with Edward and Co.
You would think that after over 3 years of trying to sort them all out I would have tired and moved on to a "new hobby", but no, these ancesters have really taken hold of me, probably all having a good laugh a the mayhem too!
Thanks again Good wishes Karen.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 20 May 2009 22:08

What I find, Karen, is that this is a mind expanding hobby. It has everything the human brain loves to feed on - knowledge, puzzles, detective work, excitement, the joy of discovery.

I've been tracing my family for nearly 30 years now, & have never tired of it. With more family history searchers coming online there is more of a chance to have a connection and find out more about your family.

Ozi.

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 21 May 2009 10:22

Hi Karen
Have you ruled out these marriages?

IGI (both extracted records)

JOSEPH HUNT Pedigree
Male Family
Marriages:
Spouse: ANN POVEY Family
Marriage:
15 MAR 1818 Saint Marys, Handsworth, Stafford, England

and

JOSEPH HUNT Pedigree
Male Family

Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH RANN Family
Marriage:
19 JUN 1825 Harborne, Stafford, England

I would never have worked out that occupation for 1841 either lol.

If you have already searched parish records at the local records office/archives at Sandwell (I think St Mary's parish records are at B'ham library) then I wondered whether Joseph snr left a will or even Samuel. Also I think Blacksmith's were often apprentices and some of these records survive and would be found at the local records office.

As Ozibird pointed out that on 1841 Edward is down as being b out of county which could make finding him even more difficult.

Good luck

Kaz

Edit: have you found Hannah on the 1841 census?

Gerald

Gerald Report 21 May 2009 16:14

Well Ozibird, I am getting more grey hairs by the day, if I've got years and years of research to come, there's little hope for me!!! Know what you mean though, it really does keep the mind in working order, all sorts of permutations and possibilities to mull over, then a new name springs up and off we go again!
Kaz, I haven't seen these possible marriages before and have to say Where did you dig them up from? Both are in my area for Joseph, any more info on Ann or Sarah, parents or siblings maybe, always looking for a re-occurring family name, Edward seems to have been conjured up from out of the blue, not found it before or since in my family? Even a death maybe for a Ann or Sarah Hunt early 1830's?
Unfortunately I live a long way from B.ham now, although was born and lived in Smethwick until the 1960's so can't get to search records in person and don't think what I want is on line.
I did find a Hannah Hunt born 1831 on the 1841 census listed with a Joseph Bloom aged 15, in West Bromwich, can't work out who they are living with though, surely not on their own?
Good ole Ozibird figuring out M.S. - I couldn't even read it!
Thanks again both and anything else forthcoming will be lapped up.
Good wishes Karen.
P.S. A few hours later now and I have just found another Joseph Hunt marriage, this time to a PHEBE PASKIN 25th April 1825 St. Thomas Dudley, strangely the marriage to Lucy Turton also took place at St. Thomas Dudley in 1834, could this be the first wife and Edwards mother, any clues please??? Bye

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 22 May 2009 12:53

Hi Karen

I got the marriages from the IGI.
If that is your Hannah on the 1841 the image seems to indicate she is living with George aged 25 & Elizabeth Hadley age 20 and daughter Maria aged 1 found a marriage on Free BMD Sep 1838 W Brom 18 539 Elizabeth’s maiden name is Mansell. So it might be worth checking both of them to see if the are related to Hannah. They moved to London by the 1851 !!!

Finding information pre-registration is always difficult unless you can get to the records office even then it can be hard work linking who is who - well for me it is lol. Unless lucky enough to be on line. Especially if you have a puzzle like yours. It would be great to be able to see witnesses to all these marriages. Have you checked if there is an on line parish clerk for the area?
I think the Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy& Heraldry (BMSGH) sell Bapt,Marr etc 's on CD for some areas so it might be worth checking their website alternatively hope that someone on here has access to them and is willing to do a look up.
It might be worth contacting the records offices to see what they charge for looking up info for you I think this varies a lot.
Is there a local family history society? They can be very helpful, I have used the Staffordshire look up exchange in the past.

Apologies if you have already tried these avenues.

Good luck

Kaz :o)

Gerald

Gerald Report 22 May 2009 21:12

Hi Kaz,
Thanks for the latest info, will have to investigate Hadley and Mansell now!!! That was the Hannah I found in 1841.
Thanks for the other info on places to find records etc. I am storing up all these addresses come the day I am at a loose end and have lots of resourses to play with. I guess our ancesters are going to be quite ongoing to track down, makes me wonder what I did before I got bitten by the bug, still it's stopping the brain from going to seed I guess.
Thanks again for all your help, maybe one day I shall have an Edward EUREKA moment.
Bye and Good wishes Karen.