Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1 medals roll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 21 Apr 2009 21:40

hi i have a copy of of my grandads war medals or so i thought it it has on it ..name s j price s lancs r then underneath this 2/4 band a symbol i cant read then it has rank lt@q/and then symbols i cannot make out .then date of discharge has a word i cannt read but it is not a date
then date of application (a) badge13/10/16 b medal blank then no of file 9/40/448 then his adress then action taken a list 93 is this all i will be able to get or can anybody tell where if poss i can apply for more info as i know he had medals ..thanks keith

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Apr 2009 23:00

Are you saying S J Price wasn't your grandather's name?

This is from Ancestry:

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
about S J Price
Name: S J Price
Regiment or Corps: South Lancashire Regiment, 2/4 Bn
Address: 30 Southwood Rd, St Michaels, Liverpool.

Rose

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Apr 2009 23:10

I think it says his rank is Lieutenant and Quarter Master. His Regiment is South Lancashire Regiment, 2/4 battalion.

To be on the medal roll he will have been awarded medals.

I would get in touch with the National Archives at Kew.

Kath. x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Apr 2009 23:21

It seems that his rank is Lieutenant. His officer service records may be available at the National Archives - not online though - you'd have to go there or get someone to go for you., although they are name indexed on the online catalogue. Also, with a common name like Price, the index might have more than one - sometimes the second initial is not given and the index doesn't give regiment.

Keith

Keith Report 22 Apr 2009 21:49

thanks to all who replyed ..he is my grandad ..i was puzzled because no mention of medals ..now i know where to apply ..also puzzled as to why it says 1916 on copy i have when war did not end untill 1918 ..also who would have to apply for medals would it be him or were they given automatically also what does it mean when it says a badge did a badge have to be applied for ...many thanks regards Keith

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Apr 2009 23:17

Is this a possibility. The date seems about right.

The Silver War Badge
The Silver War Badge, sometimes erroneously called the Silver Wound Badge, was authorised in September 1916 and takes the form of a circular badge with the legend "For King and Empire-Services Rendered" surrounding the George V cypher. The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Apr 2009 23:20

Was he Samuel James?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 23 Apr 2009 01:52

From what I remember reading, medals were issued automatically for the army.

Rose

Keith

Keith Report 23 Apr 2009 13:34

Osbird and Portland Rose .apologies for going off line last night ..have only just managed to get back online .thanks for your help .yes his name was Samuel James ..i have no idea if he was wounded as he died long before i was born ..again many thanks Keith

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 23 Apr 2009 18:46

You'll probably know more once Ancestry finish subscribing the army records. They're up to M at the moment.

Rose

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Apr 2009 18:53

Ancestry doen't have officers records

Richard

Richard Report 23 Apr 2009 21:27

Hi Keith

The card you have found is a Silver War Badge Card. This was given to soldiers who had served, but retired or invalided out of service wounded or sick, basically to stop them being pestered by the silly ladies who went round the streets with the shaming 'white feathers'

The chap whose card you have was attached to the 2/4 btn. This was a territorial battalion that was based in U.K until February 1917 when it finally went out to France. Since your chap left in 1916, unless he was transferred there from another battalion, he would not have seen overseas service, which explains the lack of a second card, with Medal entitlements, which you'd expect if he had served overseas. If your certain your grandad had medals I'd question whether you have the right man here.

This man was a Quater Master, Honorable Lieutenant. This suggests he had some standing in civilian life, perhaps son of a peer, high court judge.

He was invalided out for sickness and (like all officer commisions and resignations) it was announced in the London Gazette:

Issue 29759

22 September 1916

South Lancashire Regt - " Qr.Mr and Hon.Lt S.J Price relinquishes his commision on account of ill health. 23rd Sep 1916."

Richard

Richard Report 23 Apr 2009 21:40

There is another medal card for a Samuel James Price, also an officer, a Captian with the R Borderers. He has medals..but lived in Forest Gate London though not Liverpool.

There also a couple of candidates from the ranks. A Samuel J Price a driver with the Royal Artillery and an S J Price a private with the Medical Corps. Both had several medals.

Keith

Keith Report 23 Apr 2009 22:27

Richard .he was a lieutenant ..i have a copy of his obituary from local paper ..it does not mention anything else about his service ..i know from my mum he had ill health he died at a young age when my mum was 18 .i never knew him but i remember my mum saying she used to push him around in a chair ..he was a school master ....just had a thought i have not got his death certificate .i will send for that to see what the cause of death was ..as he was very active in sports and there is a shield called the S.J.Price shield .that junior football teams play for i have a photo of it with him ..he also played cricket .so whatever his illness was .he was very fit untill just before the war ..thank you for all your help and thanks to everybody who gave info very kind of you all regards Keith

Richard

Richard Report 23 Apr 2009 22:58

No problem Keith. Just a thought, if he was right age the medals you remember might be from previous Boer War service.

Richard

Richard Report 23 Apr 2009 23:15

Also found the original announcement of his commission Keith, again London Gazette:

Issue 29363 published on the 9 November 1915.

The Prince of Wales Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)

"Samuel James Price to be Quartermaster, with the honorary rank of Lieutenant." Dated 6 November, 1915

Richard

Richard Report 23 Apr 2009 23:36

Keith

Some good news. Look like your grandfathers full service records do exist and are at the National Archives at Kew. Heres the catlogue details, think this is him anyway:

WO 339/31865 OFFICERS SERVICES

Scope and content

PRICE S J, 2/Lieut

Covering dates 1914-1917

Availability Open Document,

Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years Former

reference (Department) 60436

So just need to get down there or get someone to get a copy of them for you.

Regards

Richard

Keith

Keith Report 24 Apr 2009 12:36

Richard i really do not know how to thank you .it is so good of you to spend time helping me ..i would never have got all the info you gave me ..once again thank you .best regards keith

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 24 Apr 2009 15:33

Keith

Actually, I think this is more likely to be him, with the combination of rank listed.

As I said in an earlier post, full initials are not always given in the index, and with a common name the right record can be impossible to find without physically looking at them.

WO 374/55226 PRICE, Lieut & QM S J

Richard

Richard Report 24 Apr 2009 21:48

AnnieLaurie think your right there, that's him. The one I found was a 2/lt looking at it, wrong rank, my mistake.