Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am going Mad..please advise me ..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 22:11

Please advise me..
I looked on Durham records and found a marriage
Harry Barrow 1945 Easington..
I am very new to ancestry..The way I feel I wish I had not bothered.
Why cant I find it on there?
please tell me?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 11 Apr 2009 22:16

Christine, if you found the marriage what more is it you are expecting?

Update: Oh, I get it. You found it on Durham records but not on Ancestry.

Can we help in any way? Like who are you looking for? Or don't you know who he married?

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 22:19

Hi,
All I saw on the Durham records was one line..
it said
Harry Barrow 1945 Easington.
So I thought I would look up marriages on ancestry for 1945 or there about,but cant find any

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 11 Apr 2009 22:21

Did you look at the images because he's in the Jan quarter. He married a Dent. So now look up Dent in Jan qtr 1945 with the same page number & you'll have her.

Upate: She's there.

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 22:24

Hi,
Harry Barrow was born 1924..Mothers maiden name Potts,Born Houghton le spring Durham.
I wanted to see poss marriges for him.

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 22:28

Dear Ozibird...Wow thankyou so much,
Please can you talk me through how you did that...Am I starting my searches wrong maybe?
I click on search
go to bmd
add details...
birth comes up...
then I cant get any further

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 11 Apr 2009 22:42

With Ancestry after about 1932 you have to search the images.

1. So you need to click on the 'England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1837-1983', not the 'Free Index'.

2. In your case you know the year which makes it easy. When the search box comes up type in Barrow & 1945. You don't need the first name as it will give you all the pages for Barrow.

3. Click to view the image of Jan qtr & scroll down the page until you find Harry Barrow, Durham. Then you will see that his bride's surname was Dent.

4. Repeat the above substituting Dent for Barrow.

Once you have found her full name you can search for her birth. This will probably be transcribed by now & you'll find it on Freebmd.

Ozi.

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 22:51

Dear Ozi..
Thankyou so much,I will give it another go in a min,
I have just come off there again and I am so frustrated...
Thankyou so much for talking me through it....Its a wonder this computer has not gone out the window...
Been trying for hours off and on.
Thankyou so much,
Christine

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 23:32

I totaly failed....I feel sick
I have tried and tried..
I dont know how many marriages and names I have seen,or even town names!!!!!!!!!!
Why Oh why cant I just click onto England and Wales marriages?
I keep getting bdm,,,then it takes me ages to get to just marriages and then they are from all over the country and not what I typed in...............
Thankyou any way...I must have straw for a brain,

Christine

Christine Report 11 Apr 2009 23:52

But I wont give up.....better get another coffee

Kate

Kate Report 12 Apr 2009 00:25

Have to admit, Christine, since they reorganised Ancestry I find it takes six times as long to find one simple bit of information!

If you go to the home page, down the right hand side are a lot of boxes - one says "More Collections" and there is a link - Birth, Marriage and Death Indexes.

Click on it and you'll get three boxes - one births, one marriages, one deaths with links divided into subsections. Marriages is the second one down, and you want the link that says "Marriage Indexes 1837-1983".

Put Barrow in the search box for surname and 1945 in the date box. Four items come up - one per quarter - with the first and last names on each page. Click the little magnifying glass at the right side of each quarter and the image of the index will come up.

Harry is in the March quarter - I've just spotted him - married to a Dent, district - Durham E.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 12 Apr 2009 00:26

Christine, I'm not sure what you are doing. Typing in Harry Barrow won't bring his marriage up. You have to look at the image of the page of indexes. Then you scroll down the type written page (in your case, as some pages are handwritten) until you find Harry Barrow.

However I can't stand the suspense. He married

Jane M. Dent Durham E. 10a 979
1945 Jan-Feb-Mar

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2009 00:31

Kate,
Thankyou very much..I will try it now,I am cross eyed,but will try, It sounds easier anyway
Many Thanks for helping me
Christine

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2009 00:34

Dear Ozi,
You have just made me laugh so much,Thanks for that I needed it!!!,
Well you cant say I am not a tryer,
I dont know what I have been doing wrong either,something so simple probebly...But here goes again

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2009 01:07

KATE....
I did it..I really did it,Thankyou so much,it turned out to be quite simple really...It was lovely,,
Honestly Thanks so much
Christine

GeordieLad

GeordieLad Report 12 Apr 2009 01:23

Christine,

The key thing about searching the England/Wales BMD records is that not all of them have been transcribed, so searching for an individual might only take you part way - you then have to eyeball the scanned images of the indexes to find who you want.

If you go to http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx
you should find 3 boxes - one each for Births, Marriages and Deaths. For marriages, Ancestry have transcriptions (fully searchable, but not always perfect) for 1837-1915 and 1984-2005. For a marriage in 1945 you have to use the "Marriage Indexes 1837 - 1983" link.

Once that's done, follow the instructions that Ozibird posted yesterday at 22:42.

Good luck

p.s. I have to agree with Ozibird - what Ancestry regard as an improved search facility is a step backwards from what they had before.

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2009 09:37

Hello GeordieLad,
Thankyou very much for all that..
I am very grateful..
Christine ( a geordielass)

mgnv

mgnv Report 12 Apr 2009 14:58

At the Durham site, do your search and get:

You searched for:
Marriage certificates for the period 1941-1950: Surname = 'barrow' and forename(s) = 'harry', any district.

Surname Forename(s) Year District
BARROW Harry 1945 DURHAM EASTERN View results for Harry BARROW (including spouse details)

Now click on the "view results" link and get:

Details of your chosen Marriage certificate (including spouse) are as follows:
Surname Forename(s) Year District
BARROW Harry 1945 Durham Eastern
DENT Jane M 1945 Durham Eastern

[...etc...]

3. Send a Query

If you are unsure if this is the certificate that you require, you can print an application form and use this to send a query to the registration service.

Now click on the "application form" link and get:

Register No. - Entry No. - District
CE/E4 - 101 - Durham Eastern (1945)

Next, backup until you see a site search box in the top left, and enter church register.
This link seems to be down temporarily, but normally you get to select C of E registers [note the CE in the register code] and then you can look up the church that corresponds to the register code.

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2009 16:19

Dear mgnv,
Your so brill...thankyou,
you helped me so much with this family ages ago..but 1887.
Many thanks for helping
Christine