Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Records Edinburgh Castle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 Feb 2009 14:52

One for my ancestors was married to a Peter Henretty in 1879. The marriage cert. states him as a Bandsman in the 50th Reg. L living at Edinburgh Castle. All 4 children born between 1880 and 1889 are his children, however, he is not recorded on any census record.
I didn't know anyone could live at Edinburgh Castle in 1879, nevertheless, can anyone advise me where to look for evidence of this. Should I be looking at army records? - and if this is the case WHAT Army Records should I be looking for. The 50th Reg. L. means nothing to me.

I would appreciate any advice on this as I've been searching for years for this man.

Elaine

Potty

Potty Report 18 Feb 2009 16:01

When and where were the children born.

I would expect that there would have been a garrison at Edinburgh Castle at that time.

Potty

Potty Report 18 Feb 2009 16:07

If you Google you will find that there is still a garrison in Edinburgh Castle.

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 Feb 2009 16:41

Hi Potty

All four children were born in Edinburgh; 1880, 1883, 1886 & 1889.

I have had a look at Google for a Garrison at Edinburgh Castle, but there is no relevant information on their website, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Elaine

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 18 Feb 2009 18:26

What's the wife's name? What is the child's name born 1880?

Suzanne

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 Feb 2009 18:35

Hi Suzanne

His wife was Catherine (nee Mcgarry/McGerry) and their first child born in 1880 was named Margaret.

Their other children were:
Celestia born 1883
Catherine born 1886 and
Mary born 1889.

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 18 Feb 2009 19:36

Sorry..I've tried all combinations and am having no luck at all!!

Suzanne

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2009 21:30

Elaine

I did a search on Scotlands People for the childrens births but the only one that matched with name and date was Catherine and the birth was registered under the district of the Grange Edinburgh. If you register and buy credits for the site you can view the actual registration ducument to see if it the correct one and it tells you the address of the parents at the time of the baby's birth along with mother and fathers names and wedding date and place. It is £6 to buy 30 credits and to view this record will cost you 1 for the index and 5 for the actual document provided that you put in Edinburgh and then choose the district of the Grange. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. The site will also let you enter a surname and between dates you can see the christian names of all the babies born so if the rest of the children were born in Edinburgh but the dates are a bit out then you may pick up on this.
There was a match for a Mary registered in the same district in 1898. There was also a match for a marriage registered in the district of the canongate which would make sense if he was stationed at the castle as the Canongate is down the Royal Mile
Regards

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2009 23:36

Hi Elaine

Have had another look for Peter but couldn't find anything but I did find the birth and death of a baby boy named Peter in 1909 which was registerd again in edinburgh under the district of St Giles which again is close to the castle. It may be coincidence but may be worth a look

Jackie

Elaine

Elaine Report 18 Feb 2009 23:47

Suzanne, Jackie and Frank

Thanks for your help, however, I'm sorry if you misunderstood my original message. I am actually trying to find PETER HENRETTY (the father) as I haven't been able to trace him anywhere.

It is only from Peter and Catherine's marriage certificate (where his occupation is stated as "bandsman in the 50th Reg.L" ) and their children's birth certificates that I know of his existence.
HE is not mentioned on any Census living together with his family. On the marriage certificate his usual address is stated as " Edinburgh Castle".

Kind regards
Elaine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Feb 2009 00:45

Elaine

does it say on the marriage cert how old he was at the time of the marriage or give his parents details

Jackie

Elaine

Elaine Report 19 Feb 2009 10:32

Hi Jackie - sorry for the delay getting back to you!

For your info. he was 24 years old on 18.11.1879 and his parents were:

father - Peter Henretty, a Tailor (Journeyman)
mother - Jane Armstrong, deceased on 18.11.79.

but I don't know if they came from Ireland or Scotland - with a name like Henretty I think they came from Ireland. I haven't been able to find his parents on the 1841, 1851, 1861 nor 1871 census in Scotland and there is no trace of him on any Census in Scotland whatsoever.

If anyone can help with any suggestions I would be grateful.

Elaine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Feb 2009 12:21

Elaine

Going by the dates he would have been born around 1854/55 and this is when the official records took over from parish records so there could always be a chance that his birth has been lost in the changeover.

Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 19 Feb 2009 12:43

Hi Elaine

I have given the link to your thread to a lady called Ann who carrys out searches in Ireland as well as Scotland. I have had no luck on Scotlands People or any of the free sites that are available sorry. Hopefully Ann may come up trumps for you. I will keep my fingers crossed he has to be out there somewhere

Regards
Jackie

Elaine

Elaine Report 19 Feb 2009 13:11

Hi Jackie

Thank you so much for all your effort - xxxxxxxing my fingers that your link comes up with something. It would be nice to breakdown ONE of the many brickwalls I have with t h i s family.

Look forward to your news.

Elaine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 13 Mar 2009 16:14

n

Potty

Potty Report 13 Mar 2009 16:51

Extra info posted today on this thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1134478

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 May 2009 14:42

Thanks to everyone and a special thanks to Jackie who finally burst the bubble - we finally found documentation of his whereabouts - IN ENGLAND.

Peter was not a bad guy after all. He turned out to be born in London, married his first wife in Edinburgh whilst being stationed at Edinburgh Castle, and his wife and children lived with her mother due to fact that Peter was in the army and stationed abroad until he was pensioned.
After the death of his children and wife he remarried in England where he later died.

Elaine