Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise needed on marriage search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 20:44

Could anybody please advise why when I do a search for marriage in 1890's. I'm not finding the relatives I'm searching for... I've tried variations of dates and names... Driving me mad..

Kate

Kate Report 10 Feb 2009 20:47

What are you using to search, John? If you give me an example, I'll see if I can find it and tell you how I did it.

Libby22

Libby22 Report 10 Feb 2009 20:48

Hi John,

Would you like to give a name for us to search, if found we can then maybe advise you

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 21:30

Hi, I'm looking for marriage of JOHN CLARKE / MARY HAINES Leicestershire. I have birth cert for one of they children alice rebecca dated Nov 1895.

Kate

Kate Report 10 Feb 2009 21:45

Just found on the 1901 census -

John Clarke (b. 1858 Willoughby Waterlees, Leics), wife Mary (b.1858 Littlethorpe, Leics), children Mary A (b.1882 Mountsorrel), Clara L (b.1885, Mountsorrel), Annie M (b.1889 Littlethorpe), John J H R (b. 1891, Whitwick, Leics), William A (b.1893, Whitwick), Alice H (b. 1896 Aylestone), Florence M (b.1898, Aylestone).

So probably looking for a marriage somewhere from the late 1870s onwards . . .

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 21:47

Sorry Kate, Libby and Alice, I did't think I would get such a quick response.

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 21:49

Hi Kate, Thats the right family.

Kate

Kate Report 10 Feb 2009 21:59

Have to admit, I've had a browse but I can't see an obvious marriage yet. Think I found Clara's birth registered in Barrow upon Soar but the marriage for John and Mary isn't very forthcoming.

Clara Louisa Clarke Sep 1885 Barrow Upon Soar 7a 168

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2009 22:01

could be that they did not get married .... many couples didn't!

I've just looked on freebmd and cannot find a marriage between 1870 and 1930.

It could also be that the information has not yet been transcribed ... you could either wait and keep checking back, or you could search on the Complete Index on ancestry ...... but that is a long tedious job of searching an index quarter by quarter, year by year.

It could also possibly be that the information did not reach the GRO office, that sometimes happened, so you could try looking for the parish register information ............. or seeing if you can find the marriage at the local Registry Office

sylvia

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 22:02

Hi Alice, Not really sorted. I have been through marriages from 1868 up 1898 and I found no match. Are all marriages on line?. Regards JOHN.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2009 22:09

John

re your question "are all marriages online"

see my response just above yours

answer basically is NO, you might be unlucky

But it might also be that the marriage will be transcribed later

or you might have to accept that they did not marry.

I've looked on the I G I on www.familysearch.org, and there is nothing showing on there either.

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 22:10

Hi Sylvia, Thank you for your advice. I did find JOHN CLARKE & MARY ANN HOWES in 1886 which I thought could be a spelling mistake. But dont know how to check?

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 22:13

Hi Kate, Thank you for trying. Regards JOHN.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2009 22:23

if it was on freebmd, you could click on the eyeglasses symbol, that lets you look at the image of the page in the record book that they used to do the transcribing.

BUT the mistransctiption could go further back than the modern one.

The only real way would be to buy the certificate for £7 from www.gro.gov.uk

Of course, the mis-spelling might be on the birth certificate that you have

I wonder if she had been married before ..... Howes to Haines, or vice versa??????

sylvia

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 22:34

Sylvia, I know maiden name is Haines. The marriage index is typed not had writen. I think I will buy the cert and keep fingers crossed. Thank you for your time and advise. Regards JOHN.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Feb 2009 22:43

John

the system was

the marriage took place in church (or registry office, or other legal site)

the vicar sent the information from his parish register to the local Registry Office, whenever he thought fit

The Registry Office entered the information in their record books

Every 3 months or so, the Reegistry Office sent their information down to GRO

and sometimes they forgot, or it got lost!

that's 3 steps before it got into GRO ............ lots of opportunities for mistranscriptions, especially if the vicar had bad handwriting!

and if he did, your guys were probably illiterate so they wouldn't notice that their copy of the marriage certificate had the wrong name on it!!!

sylvia

John

John Report 10 Feb 2009 22:49

Hi Sylvia,
I take your point. Thank you again for your time and advise. Regards JOHN.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Feb 2009 08:27

The 2 surnames are the same shape as each other, ..ie. Have one tall letter at the front, then all short letters,with none below the line.

I can easily imagine a situation where one could be handwritten and mistaken for the other.

Often the 'same shape' method has been the only way I've eventually found some of mine mistranscribed.

Hopefully you have found the correct cert.

Gwyn

Victoria

Victoria Report 11 Feb 2009 11:07

Just a thought but perhaps you look for a marriage of a John Clarke to a Mary _____ around 1880-1882'ish - then look for an earlier marriage of a Mary Haine to someone with that _____ surname?

She could have been married before the marriage to John Clarke and been left a widow in short order.

Victoria