Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

really need help.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 14:00

ok guys, sorry but im really desperate for help. I'm struggling here so much to find the missing link for a line of my family im really interested in.

So my problem is with a Margaret Wood nee Brown. I have found a death certificate for her, which is definitely her, as it is signed by her daughter, my grandmothers mother, living at the house my grandmother grew up in. Her death was in 1851 aged 88 in Townhead, Glasgow. Her parents James Brown (bootmaker) and Helen Brown nee Smith are both deceased at this point. Her usual residence is listed as 3 logan street edinburgh and George Wood (wood turner) her husband is also deceased.

Now I have George and Margarets actual marriage certificate which has been passed down. The marriage was in 1883 at 4 East Adam Street, Edinburgh, George aged 23 and Margaret (of 9 Ingliston Street, Edinburgh) aged 20. Her parents are not listed as deceased here.

George died in 1945 at 3 Logan Street, edinburgh.

I have the family in the 1901 census George (41, wood turner), Margaret (37) and children William, George, Ellen, Charles and Margaret (my grandmas mum) all living at 4 Canonmills Edinburgh, and lists Margarets place of birth as Forfar, Dundee.

Now this is where i draw a blank. Everything suggests Margaret was born around 1863 either in forfar, dundee or edinburgh. However I cannot find a record of her birth, I cannot find her parents marriage and I cannot find her in any other census other than perhaps in the 1881 census perhaps working as a domestic servant aged 17 but not living with her parents.

I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction with this one, as i have looked at so many births, marriages and censuses and still not found her or her parents.

Thanks

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 3 Feb 2009 14:21

Try the thread below, Anne might be able to help.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=991281

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2009 14:34

Margaret Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Helen
Where born: Scotland
Civil Parish: Berwick
Ecclesiastical parish: Berwick
County/Island: Northumberland
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View Image
Registration district: Berwick
Sub registration district: Berwick Upon Tweed
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 15
Household Members: Name Age
James Brown 43
Helen Brown 33
Margaret Brown 8
John Brown 5
Jessie Brown 1

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 14:40

:o that may well be them ginny hopefully you have solved it!

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2009 14:46

if you want me to look at anything specific drop me a line

good luck

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 14:50

does it say what james brown works as?

also how would i go about looking for an english marriage certificate ( all my family has been in scotland back to 1700 so far!!!)

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2009 15:02

James is down as a shoemaker so it looks like yer man!

Any details of the marriage? I'll have a look foryou

Ginny

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 15:05

thankyou so much ginny! this has been bothering me for months!

still a bit confused about margarets birth certificate but maybe evrything will fall into place when i research it more!

thanks again!

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 15:10

sorry no dont know anything about the marriage, what site would you recommend for looking up english records?

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2009 15:23

I'll have a look on Ancestry when i get back from trudging the snow for tea bags! give me an hour
Ginny

Potty

Potty Report 3 Feb 2009 15:45

David

Not sure why you think the marriage may have been in England. All the family, including 1 year old Jessie, were born Scotland.

If you do want to search for English/Welsh BMD try this site:
www.freebmd.org.uk/

Potty

Potty Report 3 Feb 2009 15:48

Looks like the rest of the family, plus a son, are still in England in 1881:
James Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Helen
Where born: Scotland

Civil Parish: Westoe
County/Island: Durham

Street address: 21 Bede St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: Subscribe now to see this information.

Registration district: South Shields
Sub registration district: Westoe
ED, institution, or vessel: 29
Neighbors: View others on page
James Brown 48
Helen Brown 41
Jessie Brown 11
William Brown 9 - born Berwick on Tweed

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2009 16:46

David

not sur eif this is your girl? No details of the actual census are available so its the best I can do

Margaret Wood
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : George
Where born: Dundee, Forfarshire
Registration Number: 685/2
Registration district: St Andrew
Civil Parish: Edinburgh St Cuthberts
County: Midlothian
Address: 70 St Stephen Street
ED: 81
Household schedule number: 41
Line: 7
Roll: CSSCT1891_343
George Wood 30
Margaret Wood 27
William J Wood 7
George Wood 5
Ellen Wood 2
Charles Wood 5 Mo

Unfortunately, we are unable to display the accompanying images of this census at present, despite extensive negotiation with the General Register Office for Scotland. Permission from them has not, as yet, been forthcoming. For this reason, and to enable you to continue with your family history research, Ancestry has heavily transcribed the Scottish Census records to ensure you have access to all key areas of information contained within this

David

David Report 3 Feb 2009 17:16

thanks both of you. At least its helped clear up where margaret was in 1871, but still no luck with a birth or marriage :( seems i cant go any further back here still!