Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry problems ??????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Jan 2009 21:34

Hi,

Is anyone having problems searching on ancestry now, this has happened for a few days of and on, keeps telling me ' please search again ' :O(

Thanks

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 30 Jan 2009 21:37

Hi sheila,

i can search marriages but not births. everytime it says please search again or not enough information was entered please return to site.

Leanne.

Julie

Julie Report 30 Jan 2009 21:41

Sheila

What part of ancestry are you searching as its fine for me.

Leanne...they have been up dating the births if you click on birth 1984-2005 it now brings up births from 1916- 2005

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Jan 2009 21:41

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for replying :O) that is the problem I am having too, also if you click onto complete BMD at the top of the page it is coming up as ''unknown '

I wonder if they are working in this section of the site :O(

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 30 Jan 2009 21:49

oh i see thank you Julie, so if i click on 1984-2005 it will bring them all up?
fabulous thank you. :D

Leanne.

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2009 21:54

Yes they have been updating - you always get problems for a few days when they add something.

Out of interest, someone on another board contacted them asking whether they will be adding the 1911 in the future (of course we know that FMP has the concession) and the answer was no but they are currently getting the LMA records ready to add!!!!!

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Jan 2009 22:00

Hi Julie,

Right I have tried that, but can you not do a search quarter by quarter ? I am scared of missing something, if not guess I will have to wait a few days ;O)

That could be interesting Heather :O)

Julie

Julie Report 30 Jan 2009 22:14

Hi Sheila

No, not any more...It looks like to me that they have joined both of the Complete Index's together

Julie

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Jan 2009 22:26

Oh No,

Just got used to the new set up, prefer searching quarter by quarter otherwise you have all sorts of matches thrown up, maybe it will be back
to normal again soon :O)

Julie

Julie Report 30 Jan 2009 22:33

No this way is so much easier lol

All you need to put in the search are both the surnames :o)))

Brian

Brian Report 31 Jan 2009 03:45

I had the same issue with looking for births on the Ancestry subscription. I emailed their helpline, but no reply. Our members on GR gave me the clue to find 1916-2005 birth regs with mother's maiden name and it is searchable, with practice using some already known births. Idon't understand why Ancestry doesn't tell their subcribers in simple language about these changes...you have to go to GR members for help...Thanks, Brian j

Pam

Pam Report 31 Jan 2009 08:45

It's the animated advertising that I am having problems with. Have to wait for the whole advert to download before you can go f rom page to page.

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 31 Jan 2009 09:35

Is anyone having problems getting onto Ancestry today?I can get to the home page and when i do a search the Internet Explorer cannot connect screen comes up??I had probs the other day on the BMD index as already mentioned on this thread but not had problems doing searches of the census records...until this morning!

Lets hope it corrects itself a.s.a.p!!

Barbara

Barbara Report 31 Jan 2009 10:39

Can't search for anything at the moment - they're having maintenance work or something.All I get is a message telling me to try later.
Barbara

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 31 Jan 2009 10:50

Barbara

Yes me too!Was able to get onto the search page earlier now not at all and like you getting the message re maintenance.Great time to choose to do it....Sat a.m!!Maybe its to do with the technical problems that have been occurring on the BMD index this week?

So annoying i have work i need to do!!

Michelle

PME

PME Report 31 Jan 2009 10:56

Hopefully they are booting all the gremlins out of the system, but Sat am is a bad choice of timing, I am not impressed, and and guessing email notification would be too much to ask.

At least genes is still working so I can trawl the indexs to find my great gran, as ancestrys search couldn't find her.

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 31 Jan 2009 11:32

Noticed on General board that Wayne and Tracey have rang Ancestry and it has crashed!!They are working on it and hope to get it back on soon.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We'll see.....

Michelle

Sheila

Sheila Report 31 Jan 2009 11:45

Still no luck getting on there, so guess our beloved ancestors are going to have to wait to be found ;O)

Thanks to all who have replied so far :O)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Jan 2009 12:28

Well that's a relief - the message I had was whittering on about "checking your computer's internet cache" or something. I don't do technical!

I will just leave it now until tomorrow.

Jill

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 31 Jan 2009 13:02

Have Ancestry back but now!

Michelle