Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inspiration required pls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 13:45

Hi Everyone

I've been doing my tree since August and so far have nearly 400 people in my tree.

Money is very tight at the moment (been in my overdraft for the last 18 months) so I can't afford to buy any certificates, so I'm kinda losing the inspiration to carry on a little bit.

As I've got so many people to look at, I don't actually know where to start.

My x7 great grandfather moved to Utah in 1856 so I have managed to find alot of info out about him, as american records seem to be easier to access than British ones. I have also found a 5th cousin living in Utah which has been very exciting, as we've been able to swap info that neither of us has seen before.

I'm stuck on my mum's mum's side until I can scrabble enough cash together to get her birth certificate, I know it's only £7 but it's money I just don't have.

I'm also a bit stuck on my dad's side, so again, I need to buy the birth certificate of my grandad to hopefully get an exact date of birth for his parents (there's more than one ernest tideswell born in the area a few years apart, one being ernest and the other ernest charles, so need confirmation before I can go any further)

So I'm just after some inspriation as to what I can do next. I haven't explored every avenue of my tree, but just don't quite know where to start, any ideas?

Thanks

Natasha

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jan 2009 13:55

If you post some names, dates and places there are members here who would be pleased to help.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Jan 2009 13:59

There are also some very good free sites. Tell us more.

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 14:09

Thanks for responding guys

jeepers where to start

my mum is jill rhead born 1963

Her parents were May Ramsell and Henry Rhead

I've explored Henry's side quite well so far, bit confusing cus he went by the name of harry. He served in WW2 but then went AWOL after the battle of dunkirk, but he did get some medals (my mum has a picture). But no idea of regiment or anything. Got a very good history of his father Owen Rhead's military experience. He fought in the Boer War as well as WW1 and survived both to be a coal miner!

Henry was born in 1921, but his marriage cert says Harry, have got the bmd record for their marriage but haven't got it to hand.

May on the other hand is proving elusive!

She was born May Rose Ramsell in born June quarter 1922.
Following siblings:
Rose Ramsell born June 1920
Janet R Ramsell born March quarter 1925
Twins Betty Violet and Mary born September 1933

I've literally got no other info, apart from mothers maiden name is Harrison. People have looked for a ramsell marriage to no avail!

I only got the twins info in december from on here.

Both May and Henry died within 3 months of each other when my mum was 21 so 1982.

Just to add this to the mix, my mum also has 4 brothers which she hasn't spoken to for years (I'm 22 and I don't have a very good memory of them, and neither does my mum) and one of them is suspected to have died a few years ago abroad :S

Apologies if I've forgotten anything

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 14:11

forgot to mention that this is all in the stoke on trent area

henry and may got married in abbey hulton, and their ashes are scattered in carmountside cemetary.

I've managed to go back to 1693 on Henry's side so far, haven't explored all avenues yet tho, each generation had between 6-12 children

Oh and May's mothers miaden name was Harrison!

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 14:24

then there's my dad's side, but I haven't got all the info to hand at the moment. I can't access my tree from work and everything else in at home.

But my grandad was Arnold Tideswell born in 1934 and he died in 1994 of throat cancer. He's buried in Burslem cemetary.

Arnold's parents:

Ernest Tideswell born 1869 (but no bmd record, one for 1870 and 1868, but can't confirm)
Winifred Ashley born about 1915

And yes apparently the massive age gap is correct!

My nana was Florence Wakelin and I've managed to go back about 5 generations on her mum's side of Copeland. Her mum Amelia Copeland, re-married after her husband and my nana's father died. My nana also seems to think there are alot of adoptions littered all over her side of the tree.
George Wakelin b: circa 1880
Amelia Copeland b: circa 1870
Amelia second husband was Joe Martin b: circa 1890

Unfortunately, my nana keeps arguing with the info I've managed to find

I've managed to get various census info for the copeland side as well, going back to 1841.

Here are some threads I have previously oput up and got a response to:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1116114
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1111807

I am very greatful for that info, and obviously don't want anyone duplicating anything.

Potty

Potty Report 28 Jan 2009 14:28

I can't find a Ramsell/Harrison marriage. I wonder if May's mother had been married before?

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 14:30

hi potty,

I think it's very likely, as she potentially could have been married the first time during WW1!

It's near on impossible I think without birth cert for may though I think, as we've got no idea about first name. My mum has done her best to remember what she can, but that's very limited. She didn't remember the twin aunties until I asked her about it and the suddenly something clicked and she had a vague recollection of them!

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 16:25

I understand by the way guys that I am asking for alot, but any help much appreciated as always :D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Jan 2009 22:10

n

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 22:29

aww thanks cynthia

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 28 Jan 2009 22:37

here's the details i have on my nana's side

As I said my nana's mum was Amelia Copeland before she married George Wakelin and then Joe Martin in June quarter 1950.

Amelia's parents

Stephen Copeland born 1874
Sarah Ellen Hollan born 1873

Ellen is apparently a family name

I have lots of other details such as Amelia's siblings
George T Copeland
Florence

But my nana seems to think there was an arthur copeland as well, but I think she could be mistaken.

Think that's about everything really.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Jan 2009 23:32

Are you saying that your gt. grandfather Ernest Tideswell was born 1869 and his wife born 1915? That's a 46 yr difference? It means he was 65 when son Arnold was born and she was 19!

TeresainWirral

TeresainWirral Report 29 Jan 2009 11:17

hi i've been in your situation re cost. so instead of buying more certificates tried seeing if i could find anything on the houses they lived in ~ my husbands family are from the east end of london and by googling the street names i've found pictures of the houses in the street for sale. i always found the house i was born in for sale so have photos of the inside and out and a plan.

googling the persons name with " " round it + location/birth place may lead you to someone researching the same names ~ not everyone is on GR, i found a wonderful gentleman who is linked to my husbands great great grandparents and he sent me loads of information.

the link to free searches in newspapers on GR led to finding out an ancestor had won horticultural prizes in Aberdeen in the 1840's.

putting the name of my grandads brothers wife into google led to us now being in possession of a family portrait of my grandad aged 7ish in c1908 with his family which to me is PRICELESS ~ the cost to me asking someone on the GR board to do an electoral role search and a postage stamp.

Teresa

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 29 Jan 2009 11:21

hi margaret

yes it is right that there's a massive 46 year age gap.

When they got married she was 17 and he was 63! Sounds abolsutely mental but it indeed correct!

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 29 Jan 2009 11:27

thanks teresa

that's really useful, I shall give that a go over the weekend

sorry I didn't respond last night btw, I had a sickly boyfriend :(

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 29 Jan 2009 14:10

hi teresa

I've just had a quick go at the " " with location and have found someone on rootsweb with extra info on some of the copelands that I;ve got in my tree.

So going to have another go at it for other people as well :D

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 29 Jan 2009 20:12

me again

where do i find the links to the free newspapers on here?

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 30 Jan 2009 19:40

Nudge nudge