Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am certain of my findings.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 27 Jan 2009 20:34

Hi

That Roberts illegitimacy success story that I have published and mentioned on here in the past is pretty conclusive. I am pleased that I found the father of an illegitimate child.

100% certainty is difficult to achieve but I am 99.9% certain. There may be a 0.01% chance that he took another mans baby on but I doubt it very much.

It is a strong, strong likelihood that Thomas was the father of the baby. If he was having an affair, then he made a mistake as we all can do, but he would have been under a lot of pressure with his wife slowly dying so no doubt he did stray and seek comfort in a young single unmarried unencumbered woman and got her pregnant.

Thomas's wife died when Mary was 7 months pregnant. She had been ill for a long time, hence recorded on her death cert. Thomas would have been bereft enough before her death, let alone afterwards if she was slowly dying and Thomas would no doubt have strayed to an unmarried single woman while his wife was ill and before she died. It happened, like women do if their hubbys are away in the war. The length of his wifes illness was the final piece of evidence and that made the idea of an affair totally feasable so why not seek comfort elsewhere if he had a sick wife who had a lung disease?

Most people who I have said this to agree with this story including all of my relatives from this side such as my mum and cousin.

The baby was baptised as Thomas's daughter, she is named as his in the 1871 and 1881 census and he is named as her father on her wedding cert. I think that is pretty conclusive.

Ben