Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP FINDING A RELATIVE BORN IN INDIA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 16 Dec 2008 17:14

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me, i have a relative (my great great grandafther) born in India in 1899, his father was in the army and was based in india, he married and indian girl in calcutta and had my great great grandfather. is there anyway i can find information on this? they came back to england at some point after the 1901 census as i cant find them on it.

any help would be appreciated

thank you

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Dec 2008 17:32

can you put details on here so we can have a look for you

Ann

Kevin

Kevin Report 23 Dec 2008 21:41

Thank you, i've found his marriage in March 1924 to emily may jones. his name was Albert Norton Chevis born i believe 1899 in India, from chatting to older family members they believe in calcutta. his father who's name i dont know was in the army. while over there he married and Indian women and had Albert. the subsequently came back to England. but not until after 1901 as they do not appear on the 1901 census. any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin Report 23 Dec 2008 21:42

ive found a date 29/3/1899 for his birth,

thank you

Kevin

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Dec 2008 22:20

Hi Kevin, You could contact British Library, Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections in London. I think this is the address The British Library, St Pancras, 96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB

I was able to get a copy of the baptism of one of my ancestors, and it included the birth date. It was expensive if you ask them to search for you, I think it was going to cost around £50. I managed to get my copy as a relative offered to go and do the look up for me.

Good Luck,
Lou

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Dec 2008 22:29

You can order a copy of his birth certificate from the GRO

The reference from the Overseas birth index is
Albert N Chevis
Calcutta
Year 1899
Volume 1425
Page 325

The birth certificate will give you the names of the parents and with any luck you should then be able to find their marriage in the Overseas Index on Family Relatives or FindmyPast.

Kevin

Kevin Report 24 Dec 2008 12:01

thank you very much, really appreciate the help.

thank you

Kevin

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Dec 2008 21:53

Return to brief results

Record details

Name:
Albert Norton CHEVIS
Event type:
Birth
Date:
29 Dec
Year:
Parents:
William Alfred, Corp., 9th E.D.R.G.A.; Alice Ida
Notes:
Event type:
Baptism
Date:
28 Jan
Year:
Parents:
William Alfred, Corp., 9th E.D.R.G.A.; Alice Ida
Notes:
Transcribed by:
British Library
India Office Records Reference:

N/1/280 f.24
Source name:
Source year:
Source edition:
Presidency:
Bengal

This is on http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

Liz

Elaine

Elaine Report 25 Dec 2008 10:03

If father was William Alfred then there is a possibility that this is the marriage registration (from the Overseas index)

William Alfred Chevis
Allahabad
Year 1899
Page 80

Can be ordered from the GRO - cost £7 - select Overseas Marriage certificate on first page.

Kevin

Kevin Report 25 Dec 2008 15:31

Thank you so so much. this is more information that ive be able to find in 6 months. its been hard to find anything out from family, he was somewhat disowned (my great great great grandfather) for marrying and indian women and having a half indian sone (my great great grandfather) until now ive never known his name. thank you so so much, this is amazin.

regards

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin Report 25 Dec 2008 15:37

sorry, just out of interest the section William Alfred, Corp., 9th E.D.R.G.A. what does E.D.R.G.A stand for?

kevin

Elaine

Elaine Report 25 Dec 2008 15:44

Not sure but could be Eastern Division Royal Garrison Artillery

Kevin

Kevin Report 25 Dec 2008 16:25

I've just searched for William Alfred Chevis, a name id not known til today...
seems to show a Sir William Chevis coming back from india.. surely cant be the same gentleman..

thank you all for the help

Elaine

Elaine Report 25 Dec 2008 16:51

The Sir William Chevis shown on the Incoming Passenger lists from India was born circa 1865.

If the marriage certificate that I found on the overseas index is the right one then you should be able to compare the age to see if there is a possibility of it being the same person.

Kevin

Kevin Report 25 Dec 2008 17:00

thats great thank you, will look for Alice Ida Chevis on passengers list also, wold confirm it i guess...

Elaine

Elaine Report 25 Dec 2008 17:09

William Chevis (b 1865) appears twice on the Incoming Passenger lists - the first time in 1919 where he is listed as Mr W Chevis, travelling with Mrs W. Chevis, and the second time in 1922 when he travels as Sir W Chevis travelling with Lady A F Chevis.

William Chevis was apparently knighted in 1922, according to a report in the Times Digital Archive.

His obituary shows him as being a Judge rather than in the Army so possibly not the same person. It also says he married in 1893 which doesn´t match with the possible marriage I found earlier.

Kevin

Kevin Report 26 Dec 2008 09:45

yea it appears its not the same gentleman. thank you very much for the help.. will just have to keep looking. i guess the 1911 census will reveal alot more.

regards

Kevin

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Dec 2008 16:26

Here is the marriage of the above Sir William. Can't find anything on your family though.

Click to see detail Presidency of Marriage BENGAL
Marriage Year 1893
Husband First Names Wm.
Husband Surname Chevis
Wife First Names Amy F.
Wife Surname Dannenberg

Kevin

Kevin Report 26 Dec 2008 20:37

yea it appears this Sir William Chevis is not the right gentleman, thank you very much for the help

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin Report 27 Dec 2008 23:11

thank you all for your help. does anyone know what Corp., 9th E.D.R.G.A. stands for? elaine mentione eastern division royal garrison artillery... cant seem to find any information on this regiment,

any help would be great

regards

Kevin