Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soldier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 20:41

Good evening everyone,
Can anyone help me please i have found a relative who on the 1901 census was down as a Soldier John Joshua Norris born 1877 Bethnal Green Middlesex [24 years old]
My Question is where can i find out more information on him? any help would be wonderful.
Thank you for your time in reading this message,
Kind regards Ann.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 20:44

What are you trying to find out?
Do you have him on the earlier censuses/
If you can be a little more specific, I will try to help

linda

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 20:51

Hi Linda,
Yes I do have him on earlier censuses but I was interested in finding out about his time as a Soldier.
Thank you for your reply and your offer of help,
kind regards Ann.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 21:05

There are some possible WW1 medal cards
Name: John J Norris
Regiment or Corps: Labour Corps
Regimental number: 135261

Regiment or Corps: Kings Royal Rifle Corps
Regimental number: R14964

Regiment or Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers, Machine Gun Corps, Machine Gun Corps
Regimental number: 1139, 36572, 11397

Regiment or Corps: Irish Guards
Regimental number: 8845

Regiment or Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery
Regimental number: 192775

but nothing on the actual images to give any more clues

Some of the WW1 service records are also on Ancestry, there are loads of John Norris's, but no specific matches

Do you know he survived the war, assuming he was in it?

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 21:14

Hi Linda,
Thank you again for replying, Linda all i know is he was a Soldier in 1901, sorry i know i am not being very helpful but thats all i have of him other then when he was younger. I did think maybe he might of been in the Boer War but again i do not know where to find this information. You have been so kind in your help Linda thank you kindly
Ann.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 21:28

Try
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Boer/

or

http://www.boer-war.com/

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 21:39

Hi Gemma,
Yes John Joshua Norris born 1877 Bethnal Green Middlesex was living at 38 Felton Street Shoreditch Middlesex in [1901]. With his parents John Joshua Norris born 1851 and Harriet Norris born 1855 both born in Bethnal Green.
Linda thank you for your very kind help you really have given me some interesting information.
kind regards Ann.

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:04

Hi Gemma,
sorry only Soldier in 1901 before that in 1891 he was only 14 years old .
Kind regards Ann.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 22:07

I saw that record as well with the bother, I think it ties up with one of the medal cards, the Kings Royal rifle Corps if i remember correctly,
I have closed it down ,back in a mo

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:09

Hi Gemma,
yes John did have a brother called George born 1890!!!

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:10

John`s father was a Cabinet Maker!!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 22:15

This is a war pension and this John was a fitters mate
He has given a brother George as next of kin.

there were, however loads of John Norris's on the list of WWI service records, apart form the John J Norriss's I gave you above, so deciding if this one is yours is nigh on impossible

linda

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:22

Oh My i cannot wait!!!

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Dec 2008 22:31

But the brother George was only 10 in 1901 and was at home with the family.
Unfortunately I don't think that the pension record can be tied in with your man

It is possible that both his parents were dead by then and that he was using his brother as next of kin.
This one says he was born in St pancras, yours says Shoreditch on the 1901 census

Ok it is not yours because when asked if he has served in any of the services before he says NO
He joined up at Winchester in Aug 1914

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:31

Gemma George lived at the same address.

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:34

No his parents were alive in 1901 but his father died in 1908 and i am not sure when his mother died!!!

Ann

Ann Report 6 Dec 2008 22:39

Gemma and Linda
you have been so very,very kind with all your help and time, never mind Gemma and Linda it was so sweet of you to even try and help, also thank you both for being so helpful i cannot thank you enough,
Well done and kind regards to you both Ann x x x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Dec 2008 12:59

If you try british origins they hold an index to military attestations from that period. I found my grandfather had joined the military in 1905 and was discharged in 1906. If you can narrow down his record there you can order it. They will then go to Kew and copy his record for £10. Cheaper than going to Kew for me.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Dec 2008 13:00

Think you get 24 hoours on BO for a fiver, or you could see if someone has a sub who can look for you.

Ann

Ann Report 8 Dec 2008 10:59

Thank you all for your very kind help!!!!!!
You really are all stars x
kind regards Ann.