Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paid Research - Any recommendations?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 22:05

Evening all,

I am seriously considering paying for some professional help after my gg uncle continuing to elude me. I hit brick walls at every turn at the moment!

Has anyone used any professional researchers (ideally from the Oxfordshire area) that they would recommend?

Thank you.
Karen

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Sep 2008 22:26

have you asked for help here first,?

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 19 Sep 2008 22:29

What are you looking for, I have a few oxfordshire parish records.

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 22:33

Evening Lindsey, I have. Everyone has been very helpful but unfortunately, not much as come of it.

Richard, I am trying to find out what happened to my gg uncle Stanley Gardner after his wife passed away in 1968.

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 22:40

I have some information on him up until this point (still have gaps that need filling in though), but I am yet to discover what become of him, which is obviously intriguing me the most.

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 19 Sep 2008 22:44

where did his wife die

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Sep 2008 22:45

Its just that the people who will charge you lots will only be looking at the same information that we have ?

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 22:50

She died at the Radcliffe Infirmary on 5th Jan 1968, aged 80. Her name is Priscilla (nee Shepherd). She is buried in Rosehill Cemetery (double grave), he is not buried with her.
He was born Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner on 25th Aug 1888 to William and Martha (nee Large). Married 1909, no children that I have yet to find.
Enlisted in WW1 in 1915.
Worked a the Ashmolean Museum until 1961, aged 73 (48 years total employment with them).
And thats where the trail goes cold.
She is listed as wife, not widow on death cert, but he did not register her death, nor did he pay for the burial plot.

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 22:51

Thanks for taking an interest by the way. Karen

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Sep 2008 23:07

Where was he last known to be living ?
and who registered her death ? Nosey arent I !

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 23:10

For certain, at the Ashmolean Museum - was in residential employment there for a period.
The family home was 12 Sidney Street, Oxford - where Priscilla was living at the time of her death. I have nothing concrete to say that Stanley moved back home after retirement.

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 19 Sep 2008 23:20

sorry karen i checked for his death and did not find it.

Perhaps his death was registered as GARDINER or GARDENER.

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 23:21

Have checked the 3 variations GARDNER, GARDINER and GARDENER from 1961 - 2005.
Thanks for looking.

Neil

Neil Report 19 Sep 2008 23:29

Have you looked at the electoral register?

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 23:31

I dont know where to access the old registers.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 19 Sep 2008 23:48

They can be seen at the local records office, but you need an address, so if he wasn't living with his wife, it would be a very long search! Have you checked to see whether his wife left a will? On his service records on Ancestry his first name is given as Malcolm,by the way.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 20 Sep 2008 08:38

Karen. Have you considered the possibility he was in a Nursing / Residential home? That could account for why he did not Register the death/pay for the burial plot.The Radcliffe Infirmary records for her and the Funeral Director who conducted the burial would have details of next of kin.
Christine

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Sep 2008 10:38

As you have her home address I'd check that first in the electoral register, as mentioned in a previous post. That would at least tell you if she had her husband living there too.
Electoral registers are often also found at a main library local to the address.
Some libraries will check the list for you if you are out of the area.
Some won't... Some charge, some don't.
If you e mail the library they might check that year to see if her husband is registered at that address.

Gwyn

Karen

Karen Report 20 Sep 2008 12:23

Morning,
Thank you all.
I am not sure why he listed his christian names in the wrong order on his service records....
Havent looked into a will for his wife, will add that to the list.
I need to contact the nursing homes that were around at the time (particularly the one ihs mother died in), but is fairly difficult tracking down the records for them.
I didnt realise that I could access the ER at the library.
Thanks everyone.