Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Sep 2008 08:56

Hello could anyone help me? Im trying to buy 2 marriage certificates from the 30s .My problem is on uk bmds you need to send a bankers sterling draft as I am in australia. each bankers draft cost 20 dollars aus. I need 2 certificates one from the warrington council and one from wigan council. Now the uk bmds says online ordering is not available Is there an online way somehow to pay for them through another site or something
Pam in oz

~Manchester~

~Manchester~ Report 12 Sep 2008 09:00

Have you tried the General Register Ofiice - www.gro.gov.uk
Sue

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Sep 2008 09:21

thank you sue

Heather

Heather Report 12 Sep 2008 09:37

Do you have their GRO references? £7 per cert with them - £10 without I believe.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Sep 2008 09:43

I know that several GR members in Australia have ordered and received certs. quite easily.....Online maybe?
Could you include in your title something like Ordering BMD certs when in Australia

Gwyn

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Sep 2008 10:57

G'day Pamela, I have ordered marriage cert but I called them and paid by visa it cost me around the $56.00 mark.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 12 Sep 2008 11:09

NEVER pay more than approx £7.00 Sterling.......or its equivalent

Order from the GRO......quoting their refs.

You can go direct to their site.............or link to it through freebmd

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Sep 2008 11:23

thank you everybody Im glad there are alternatives.
Pam

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 12 Sep 2008 13:41

Hi
I also live in Australia, and have never paid more than 7 pound through the GRO, I order certs all the time online.

Regards

Amber

Margaret

Margaret Report 16 Sep 2008 06:03

G'day so how come i do???? Identity & Passport Servi 24.50 GBP then &1.30 AUD which turn out to be $53.30 on my statement so where i am going wrong??? please tell me so i can make it cheaper for my self
thanks any help ?
Marg

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Sep 2008 06:33

Margaret, you paid 24.50 GBP because you ordered a "next day" certificate, instead of the standard 4th working day one. You also paid an extra 1.50 GBP for not ordering online.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/order_certificates/certificare_fees/birth--marriage--and--death--certificates.asp
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-order-online.asp

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2008 06:40

Margaret

Find the bmd registration on www.freebmd.org.uk or on ancestry.co.uk

go to www.gro.gov.uk

click on Ordering Certificates Online

follow instructions

Charge to your credit card

The charge is £7 for each certificate ... as long as you have the GRO reference number. Otherwise they charge £10 or 11 (I believe). The GRO number is that set of 2 numbers after the place name on all registrations.

I buy from Canada, and never have more than that charged (and then converted to Canadian currency of course).

The first 3 certificates I bought I ordered from the local Registry Office .... they cost £7 + £1 pp per certificate for post and handling ('cos I couldn't send a stamped address envelope!) ............... I had to get a bankers draft to cover the cost.

But many registry offices are apparently no sending out certificates now.

sylvia

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Sep 2008 23:22

Thanks everyone!!!! i will try that, but my prob is that i don't all ways know if its the right cert or not as i have very little info, i did get my money back once, because the cert was the wrong. one, question.
Why carnt they look to see if the info is what i am looking for without me having to buy, er put it this way. I tell them the name the date, but they can't look to see if the Father name right the 1 i am looking for. You see i am looking for the name of Hall,
But look guys are GREAT thanks a heap
Marg

Kate

Kate Report 17 Sep 2008 23:31

You should be able to put something in as a checking point - I think they keep £3 as a checking fee if it isn't the right one - so you can say, "Only send this certificate if the father of the groom is named as John David Jones, a butcher" or whatever.

It is usually towards the bottom of the online form, I thin.

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Sep 2008 04:36

Hey thanks Kate, would i do the same for a birth/cert, when it doesn'r tell you the mothers name?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Sep 2008 06:39

There is a place on all the applications for "extra" references

The problem with doing that is that what you put down as the father, or the mother, or whatever you are using as your check must be EXACTLY what is on the certificate, or they don't send it to you.

If you put Henry Jones and he said Harry Jones, they don't send it ........... even though it is in fact the correct one. Henry and Harry are often used interchangeably, or Harry is the nickname for Henry. Similarly, Jack and John. Or you could have Nellie for Eleanor.

There are all kinds of such possible errors.

So it is a tossup ......... don't use the check and get an unwanted certificate

OR use a check, and don't get the certificate even if it is yours because the check doesn't match.

sylvia

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 21 Sep 2008 10:21

That is not quite true about not sending certs if checking point not exact, just received one where mother forenames were the same but the wrong way round.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Sep 2008 19:31

keith

lucky!!