Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which PC program?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 15:47

Hi all

Would appreciate any recommendations on which program to buy. I've got plenty of family info which I've put on here but feel I could do with a program now. I've been looking at either the "Who do you think you are?" set or "Family Tree Maker"- and the price is vastly different - FTM includes 6 months with Ancestry. Both have positive and negative comments on Amazon so would you recommend either?

Many thanks
Alli

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 25 Aug 2008 15:49

Might want to try a free program.

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 15:54

oooh free! hadn't thought of that - many thanks. Will go and have a look

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Aug 2008 16:25

I just spotted that Netto have Family Tree Maker today, at £4.99, which must be very good value.

I don't know if it is 2005 or 2006, but it is the Who Do You Think You Are version.

Elisabeth

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 25 Aug 2008 16:28

Not bad for £4.99...Elizabeth M

Thing is... they always sell out before I get near them.

Jayne

Jayne Report 25 Aug 2008 16:29

I have used Family Tree maker and the TIPS against each name have proved extremely valuable and the charts are excellent

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY Report 25 Aug 2008 16:34

I have Family Tree Maker setup..
not really had a good look at it yet.
But it certainly looks good..for a free program.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Aug 2008 16:34

I use Family Tree Maker 2005 and find it is fine for what I want to do with it. It is easy to enter details and there's room for photos in the scrapbook section.

The charts and reports that you can print are easy to do.

Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 25 Aug 2008 16:38

Who do you think you are is Family Tree Maker 2006 - TWR computing have it for £11 incl p and p and a months ancestry sub.

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 16:40

Is Netto a shop? If so, we don't have one near us, but thanks - hopefully that will be useful for someone else.

Alli

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 25 Aug 2008 16:54

Allison,

Yes, Netto is a shop, like Aldi or Lidl.

I only really went for the current offer of toilet rolls, but as usual was too late, they were all gone.............

Elisabeth

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 16:58

lol - typical! Been looking at the FTM - looks like it might be worth ordering the one with the 6 months free to Ancestry

Alli

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 16:59

Would you order the 2006 version and not the updated 2008? £11 does sound like extremely good value!

Heather

Heather Report 25 Aug 2008 17:04

A lot of us have the 2008 (I even pre ordered mine!) and I just dont get on with it, so its back in the drawer. I have carried on using the 2006 version (which is the same as the Who do you think you are version) You should get a patch for v16 when you load it and if you are on VISTA there is a patch for that too.

How much is the one with 6 months ancestry sub?

LOL just seen amazon has the 2006 for £2.98 plus about £3.50 pp though. Oh and no sub to ancestry - twr computing is £11 with a months ancestry sub.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Aug 2008 17:05

Apparently the 2008 version is completely different to all the ones before. If you have never used Family Tree Maker then I don't suppose it matters, but a lot of people who have been used to the earlier versions didn't like the 2008 version.

Any of the earlier versions are fine, so if it's cheaper then I'd go with the 2006.

Kath. x

Allison

Allison Report 25 Aug 2008 17:29

In the end I went for the Who do you think you are 2006 with 3 months free Ancestry for £15 on Amazon as I ordered a couple of CDs on there at the same time.

Many thanks for the advice
Alli
x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Aug 2008 17:33

That's well worth it Allison just for the 3 months Ancestry.

Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 26 Aug 2008 09:25

If you have any queries once you get it - just shout.

Good price. You ought to put a thread on about it for any new people.

Alan

Alan Report 26 Aug 2008 09:34

If you go to "tribalpages.com" you can compile your family tree on line...........its a great site and free until you need to upgrade for making a disc of your work. You can allow other family members to view online and get their imput. Well worth a visit. Good luck, Alan C

Heather

Heather Report 26 Aug 2008 09:41

Well I think for £15 its well worth getting the family treemaker program on your own puter, with facilities to back up to the cd and internet and have your home page plus 3 months ancestry - well its a give away :) Well done for finding a bargain Alison