Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Anyone here an expert on Welsh Parishes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 16:33

According to the 1851 census my 3x grt grandmother Sarah Richardson (neeWilliams) was born in Llanfair Fedro Montgomery Wales, She Married John Richardson in Great Boughton Cheshire in 1842, by 1851 they are living Ellesmere Port Cheshire. I have spoken to Powys record office and they don't no what it could be.
Thank's Gill

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 9 Aug 2008 17:26

Why don't you Google for a Family History Society covering that area, someone will surely be able to help. I have always found local FHS very knowledgable and many know have web sites and on line forums.

Jennifer

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 17:51

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try, hadn't thought of that.
Gill x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 18:14

What about later censuses? Or did she die before the next one?

Rose

K

K Report 9 Aug 2008 18:28

I couldn't see the family in 1861 - There is this birth on the IGI which could be worth looking into. Do you have her father's name from the Marraige Cert?

SARAH WILLIAMS Pedigree
Female
Event(s):
Birth: 05 AUG 1821

Christening: 27 AUG 1821 Ebenezer Upper Chapel Congregational Or Independenl, Llanfair, Montgomery, Wales
Parents:
Father: THOS. WILLIAMS Family
Mother: ANN

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 18:32

Thank's for the info Yorkie, I will have a closer look at that.
Rose unfortunatly I can't find her on any other census, I can't find any of the family on 1861 except eldest daughter Elizabeth, I have a death cert for father John 1855. Then can follow Elizabeth and grt grandma Ruth born 1854 right through, marriages and census. I can't find a death record for Sarah.
Gill x

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 18:34

Thank's Ann, but fathers name from her marriage cert is Reece/ Rees. I have found one on IGI with fathers name Rees but it's in Breconshire 1823

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 18:45

Yorkie,
Have you looked at the image as it looks to me as though Montgomery has been added by a different hand, I don't know what you think.
Gill

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 19:09

This could be the son in 1871:

1871 England Census
about John Richardson
Name: John Richardson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Where born: Ellesmere, Cheshire, England
Civil Parish: Tunstall
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
Town: Tunstall
County/Island: Staffordshire
Registration district: Wolstanton
Sub registration district: Tunstall
ED, institution, or vessel: 18

Rose

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 19:09

I will take another look, this gap I have with this family is slowly driving me nuts, Iam dreaming abt them lol I have followed the Richardsons back to early 1700's, I don't think I will do the same with the Williams family some how!!!

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 19:12

Yes Rose thanks that is the son, Ruth my grt grandma is a servant in Whitmore Staffs and Elizabeth is married to Henry Phillips in Maer Staffs

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 19:28

I bet Sarah remarried but trying to find that marriage will be tough.

Rose

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 19:45

I have a story my mother told me years ago that makes me think she lived longer. She said that her mil my grandma told her .. her mother was Welsh and very religous but very cruel used to tie her to the bed post and whip her, now her mother wasn't Welsh but born in Cheshire, that was Ruth however her mother Sarah was. so Iam thinking my mum may have got the story wrong amd it was her grandma not mum. I beleive she married again but finding it as you say is going to be hard.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 20:17

I don't see them in 1861 at all. It should be easy looking for a Ruth born Ellesmere c1855.

Rose

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 20:26

Rose I can't tell you how many times I'v tried to find her over the years in 1861, I think I covered abt 2.000 names on Ancestry and still nothing. Elizabeth is the only one I have found, she is called Betsy a servant close to her future husband in Standon Staffs, it took me ages to realise that was her, but Iam positive it is now.
Gill

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 20:30

They are seem to be in the same area in 1871. They must be around there in 1861.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 20:30

Any witnesses on marriage certs that could be Sarah?

Rose

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 9 Aug 2008 20:57

Sorry just had a quick panic looking for marriage certs,lol Right Elizabeth married Henry Phillips on Oct 24 1864 in Maer Staffs wittnesses Mark Phillips & Emma Wharton.
Ruth married William Forrester at Northwood Hanley June 14 1873 witn William Night & Elizabeth White. so no Sarah

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Aug 2008 21:27

Oh well. Worth a try.

Rose

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 10 Aug 2008 16:55

Hi Von,
Sorry I didn't reply last night, I was shattered so gave up. Yes I e-mailed National Archives about it and they checked and told me the area they were living was all there. So know were to go from here.
Thank's for your interest.
Gill x