Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, annoying query.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 1 Apr 2008 23:47

As I change between my tree and view other people, trying to transfer information, every few changes I get a box pop up saying something sbout 'Family Tree Changes' 'Index'. Its really annoying because each time this pops up i loose all the information on my clipboard and have to go back and start again!
What is this and how do I stop it??
Any advise?
I'm new to all this.
Thanks,
Emma.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 Apr 2008 23:57

Its a really difficult X to reach to turn it off I have to drag the whole page up reduce the screen to 75% the open tree again, what a pain

Emma

Emma Report 2 Apr 2008 00:01

I can close it each time it pops up, but isn't there a way of stoping it popping it up in the first place? so annoying!

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 2 Apr 2008 00:24

I dont think there is a way Emma.
It use to only come up when there were tree changes but now it seems to be there all the time....unless of couse they are making changes daily.

Huia

Huia Report 2 Apr 2008 00:35

They havent made any changes since December according to what it says.
I think it is time we all sent a message to GR telling them to FIX IT.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 2 Apr 2008 00:41

I have just sent a message asking when they are going to fix it as lots of people are sick and tired of having to drag the box over so they can click on the x to view the tree. I suggest you all do the same. Then they might get the message instead of just telling us to do what we are already doing.
Huia.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 2 Apr 2008 11:11

Be prepared for the standard " we are looking into it" reply !
The whole vieving of trees business has ever been a problem , printing off, and deleting are almost impossible.The addition of "yesterday and today" unnecessary,and flags explaining the meaning of search trees etc just serve to complicate an already poorly designed site. No wonder people get frustrated and leave.

SallyF

SallyF Report 2 Apr 2008 11:41

Huia you were right the other day when I was smug and said it didn't come up for me anymore! :)
It did once I went away and came back after quite q while.

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Apr 2008 11:50

Instead of switching between trees why not have both trees open together?
Left click "My family tree"
Right click "My family tree""open in new window"

Huia

Huia Report 2 Apr 2008 20:29

Eureka!
I had a reply from Rachel of the Support Team: If you click on 'version 14' in this box you'll see the changes we have made. Once you have done this the box wont appear again, until the next time we update it.
It goes on to say what to do if this does not work, but it worked for me!
I am now going to send them a message suggesting they put up a sticky thread on Tips with these instructions.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 3 Apr 2008 04:28

GGGGGRRRRR GR. I have just checked my tree and the box is back. Fix it GR.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 3 Apr 2008 04:48

'If this does not work and you are on Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options, Delete Cookies OK, Delete Files OK. Refresh page by holding down the control and F5 keys together. After this is done close browser window and go to
http://www.genesreunited.com/genes
reunited.asp?WCI=GenesMain
and sign in to your details and access your tree.'

From http to Main there are no gaps of course.

Can some bright soul please explain to me why I should go through all this rigmarole to remove the box? We pay to use this site, I dont want to delete things, why cant GR fix it for us?

Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 3 Apr 2008 08:51

Stephen, I am merely quoting the second part of the letter sent to me by Rachel of the Genes Support Team, on what to do if the first part does not work.
Read the 10th thread for the first part of the letter I received, then the thread before yours for the second part of the letter.
Huia.

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Apr 2008 09:10

I have followed Stephen's instructions - opened my tree up again and the tree changes box has not come up!!!! The next big test is to see if it will still be gone tonight - or will GR find a way to sneak it back on??

Thank you Stephen.

Christine

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Apr 2008 10:27

quote;
Eureka!
I had a reply from Rachel of the Support Team: If you click on 'version 14' in this box you'll see the changes we have made. Once you have done this the box wont appear again, until the next time we update it.

What a load of rubbish,the box is still there!
Have now used the F5 suggestion,fingers crossed!

UPDATE
F5 does not work!

tinaj

tinaj Report 3 Apr 2008 15:56

Just opened my tree again - 7 hours later - and still no Tree changes box. Looks like Stephen's solution works!!

Thank you, thank you!!

Christine

Huia

Huia Report 3 Apr 2008 19:15

Well I sent another message to the support team saying that the simple solution does not work and that I dont see why I should have to go through the rigmarole suggested in the second solution and delete things, when they should be correcting the problem.
I hope they will now get stuck in and fix it, but I can hear some flapping and oinking somewhere!
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 4 Apr 2008 06:51

Have just received a reply from a 3rd member of the support team (how many people are there supporting each other instead of us?).
She does not know what I mean by 'this rigmarole'. She seems to think it is a problem with my actual tree.
I have sent another message to them trying to explain and asking them to fix it.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 4 Apr 2008 19:55

I have just received a reply from a 4th member of their team, Estelle. So that is Rachel, Alex, Erica and now Estelle. But she now admits that there does seem to be a bug in the system and they have passed it on to the technical team. Heres hoping they can fix it PDQ.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 9 Apr 2008 03:47

Thanks, Freddie, I am glad I didnt try the alternate suggested solution.
Huia.