Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

parishes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 21:26

hi
could anyone please inform me does dartford. erith. bexleyheath .all in kent if the parish for these is bexley??

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 21:36

yes but is bexley the parish

Sam

Sam Report 19 Mar 2008 21:40

Dartford registration district used to include Bexley if that's what you mean. It was changed in 1974 to become Bexley registration district, which covered Dartford.

Dartford and Bexley were both parishes in their own right.

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 21:57

i am in the process of ordedrind a parish bapp marr burials cd rom from kent fhs
my rellies & ancestors are from erith&
bexleyheath
i think the parish for this will be bexley

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2008 22:25

I would imagine there was more than one Parish covering all the places you mention. Every church has its own parish..............

You need to discuss your requirements with the company from whom you are intending to purchase the records, to ensure that you get the ones you want.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 19 Mar 2008 22:28

David - are you aware that the Erith registers were damaged in a fire? North West Kent FHS sells the transcriptions of the damaged registers on CD through their website - I have them.

Also some parishes from Rochester Diocese (that covers Dartford etc) are online to search via City Ark (just google its pretty easy to find)

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 22:30

ok thanks
will check this with kfhs but i do know that erith is on this cdrom

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 22:35

mrs tibbets
thaks for the info no i was not aware of that are they readable
is this cdrom compatible with windows vista
what do you have??

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 19 Mar 2008 22:37

Always worth checking with them before you buy - West Kent FHS covers Erith and I've found them to be very helpful in the past. The CD I bought for Erith cost £5 - and I know there is another CD which covers another period which is also £5 - luckily someone I know had that one and we shared the pdfs with each other so we had the full set for half the price!

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 22:40

this one is £17
is the £5 one fron west kent fhs
are yours xp or vista windows

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 19 Mar 2008 22:40

They are in pdf format on the CD's so as long as you have Acrobat Reader you're fine - and its easily downloadable for free if you dont.

www.nwkfhs.org.uk

Check out their 'Publications' section.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 19 Mar 2008 22:41

I am on XP - but the CD will work on both as its just pdf files.

David

David Report 19 Mar 2008 22:50

mrs tibbett
thank you for the info

David

David Report 20 Mar 2008 19:50

is woolwich a district of kent? if so would woolwich & bexleyheath be on a dvd register of bexley st mary & st john 1565 -1978
thanks for any info

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 20 Mar 2008 20:35

Well A dvd register of Bexley St. Mary and St. John would just cover those churches - not Woolwich.

http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/wool_plc.htm

If in doubt - Google!

Usually any discs produced for parish registers are either for one specific church - I know North West Kent FHS sometimes sells compilation DVDs containing a group of parish churches but they always explain what parishes are included.

I strongly suggest that you have a really good browse through the North West Kent FHS website - it is full of info.

http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/index.htm

David

David Report 20 Mar 2008 21:24

i have thier website
i have quite a few ancestors on my tree that state birth bexley death bromley
so will order that dvd & hope its the correct one
thanks for your info

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Mar 2008 21:58

For a list of parishes

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-civil-parishes-in-england?cat=travel

Roy