Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone know where Basdinden is/was?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 14:35

I have an address for a relative who lived at 8 Newhouse Road, Basdinden in England does anyone know where this is? I think it may be in Durham but not sure. I Googled and Yahoo'd but nothing came up. This would have been in and around 1930.
Thanks for any help.
Shiela

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 19 Mar 2008 14:47

I've just put that word into Google maps but it didn't recognise it. It's probably a place name miss spelt.

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Mar 2008 14:49

Shiela,

You need to check your source, I don't think you have interpreted the spelling correctly, cant find anything approximating to it in Durham. When you have checked of alternative interpretations of the name try GENUKI and Historical Directories
(www.historicaldirectories.org), which should help to find it.

Pamela

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 19 Mar 2008 14:53

I've just put Newhouse road Basildon in & it came up Newhouse road Wickford, oddley enough I live in Wickford so I know where this road is. Is this any help?

Derek

Derek Report 19 Mar 2008 15:13

That would have been amusing Amanda had you lived at 8 Newhouse Road, Wickford :)

ladybird1300

ladybird1300 Report 19 Mar 2008 15:28

Yes that would have been a laugh!

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 15:34

Hi:
I received help on here last night from Deb for passenger lists on findmypast and that is the address I was given. It reads 8 Newhouse Rd, Basdinden.
I know this relative was born in Chester le Street so believe Basdinden is in and around county Durham.
Thanks for all you input.
Regards
Shiela

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2008 16:52

The only place in the vicinity which comes remotely close to the layout of the word is Washington............

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 17:11

Thanks Reggie, I suppose it could be possible. I wonder if it could have been in Northumberland.
Thanks everyone.
Regards
Shiela

Ivy

Ivy Report 19 Mar 2008 17:38

HI Shiela,

I think I recall someone saying that the address given on passenger lists was often the final address before boarding. Where did the boat leave from?

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 17:53

Hi Ivy:
:
This is what I had: Ada B 1914 and Thomas Harrison B-1910, brother and sister. Departure March 15,1930 from Greenock, destination Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Ship -Andania .
Deb said ther last address was Basdinden. Do you think this my have been around Greenock?

Ivy

Ivy Report 19 Mar 2008 18:00

Hi Shiela,

Hi Shiela

Basdinden looked a little to me like Haslingden, which is in Lancashire, so I had wondered whether they had made their way from Durham across Lancs to Liverpool - that theory's probably out the window then!

Newhouse Street does have a vaguely Scottish ring to it - what do others think?

(Logging out shortly myself)

Ivy

Ivy Report 19 Mar 2008 18:03

There is a Baillieston east of Glasgow - nearest on a quick look for soundalikes.

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 18:55

The more I look at the name I think it might be Cardenden which is in Fife Scotland. It makes sense as it's not all that far from Greenock. I think that is what I will try to find out. I know they moved to Scotland at some time
Many thanks for all your help.
Regards
Shiela

Alistair

Alistair Report 19 Mar 2008 19:01

I think Greenock is a red herring. It just happens to be the departure port for the vessel.

There is one Newhouse Road in Co. Durham. It's in Esh Winning.

Alistair

Alistair

Alistair Report 19 Mar 2008 19:10

Here is the full list:

Newhouse Road, Blackpool, FY4

Newhouse Road, Bovingdon, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP3

Newhouse Road, Earls Colne, Colchester, CO6

Newhouse Road, Esh Winning, Durham, DH7

Newhouse Road, Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, FK3

Newhouse Road, Heywood, Lancashire, OL10

Newhouse Road, Huddersfield, HD2

Newhouse Road, Huncoat Industrial Estate, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5

Newhouse Road, Liverpool, L_15

Newhouse Road, North Berwick, East Lothian, EH39

Newhouse Road, Perth, PH1

Newhouse Road, Sheepridge, Huddersfield, HD2

Newhouse Road, Stoke-On-Trent, ST2

Alistair

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Mar 2008 19:29

Do you have the image?

Most of the passengers leaving from Greenock were Irish or Scottish.

Rose

Sheila from Canada

Sheila from Canada Report 19 Mar 2008 20:48

Hello again. I know that they moved to Scotland at some point so that may be why it shows Greenock as the departure port. They both returned to England/Scotland from Canada a few years later and Ada married in Scotland.
Thanks for the list Alistair. I don't have the actual image but Deb sent me the information on it.
Regards to you all
Shiela